Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Here's what happened...

I pushed extra hard on our stupid patio door when closing it tonight, not realising my finger was in the way  :wacko:. Owwww!!!! So... I've cracked the nail from side to side just above the nailbed, and I have to tell you....it HURTS!  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

It bled a lot (I held it under cold running water for as long as I could, which helped).

Now it's throbbing but only bleeding a little.

I can still bend the joint but don't want to because the nail hurts so much.

Aargh, I really didn't need this right now - my bearmaking is slow enough without having to wait for my finger to heal! I have several half-made bears just begging to be put together :(. Luckily I can still type, just about  bear_tongue

There must be a silver-lining to this story somewhere! Anyone had a similar experience? How long will it take to grow back/feel normal???

PS Sorry to those don't like the idea of blood - I'm like you, unfortunately! It made me feel pretty icky....

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

OUCH!!

bear_cry I'm so sorry Helena.......that must hurt like crazy! 

Hmmm.....just above the nail bed?  It might take awhile to grow out. bear_sad   Several months ago, I stabbed myself with a needle right next to the nail bed on my thumb, it got infected (and hurt like crazy bear_cry ) and then that part of my nail came away from my thumb.  It took a good month or more to grow out completely and looked kind of deformed for awhile.  I am so glad to have a normal looking thumbnail now.....I did wonder at first if it would be normal again! bear_tongue  It did hurt pretty bad for a couple of weeks, but that was mostly due to the infection under my nail, so yours might not be bad for as long.  After that, I was able to sew again just fine.....my thumb just looked funny.

I hope you feel better soon!

Big hugs  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: ,
Tracy

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Helena, I hate it when we do things like that!  Ouch!!!

Bleeding a lot is good,  this means less likelihood of an infection...as the blood is sterile and it is pushing out and taking any foreign matter from the injury out with it.  good deal.  We always let wounds bleed a bit, for this reason.

I have never done this particular injury but being a bit of a clumsy-girl i can tell you that any nail bed type injury can take a long time to heal.  In fact, it may not grow back correctly.  and because it is your hand you are still at high risk for infection.  Especially if you don't change your bandaide every time it gets damp.

Poor baby...I am so sorry.  If it doesn't seem to heal right I think you might bop into your local urgent care and have it looked at.

Also , critical here, do you have full range of motion?

If you don't then you probably do want to be seen.....having it heal wrong can certainly ruin your life as a bear artist....

OK Nancy Nurse is back in the bottle.

Best wishes to you my dear and good luck with your healing!

gollyhugs

dilu

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Thanks Tracy...

I figured it would take a while to grow...months....sigh  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  . Sorry to hear about your thumb, that sounds really painful. My finger's still throbbing but not as bad as it was....

Nurse Dilu....thankyou too....I'm feeling better already. It was a bit of a shock! I could bend my joint pretty well for a while after but it just plain hurts too much to try again right now. I'll see how it is in the morning and decide if a visit to the doc is necessary (I usually collect my complaints and go to the surgery with a 'shopping list'!!!).

bear_flower

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

That sounds SO painful!!!!

I've never done that before so I have NO idea how long it will take to heal but what I can tell you is.....use lavender....I was pulling a doll's needle through the head of a bear yesterday and it got stuck - I pulled so hard that my hand slipped all the way up the length of the needle and sliced the back of my first knuckle - I put lavender on it straight away and I've had no pain what so ever and there is a scab forming already. It's wonderful stuff - I use mine on any cuts, burns etc.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Our dear friend DebbieD here on TThurt her pinky finger not so long ago.... wasn't a nail bed injury though. Those hurt like the dickens!!!! And once it starts to feeling a bit better you'll get to doing more with it and all of a sudden bang it against something and it'll hurt all over again.

Dilu didn't mention this so maybe it won't matter but I always find with fingertip injuries that they hurt less the first day or so afterwards if I keep my hand elevated - heart height or higher - so the blood isn't pulsing through so hard making it throb.

Be sure your fingernail is short so it doesn't catch on anything.

Oh, Helena, I feel your pain and it's giving me the heebie geebies!!! I'm so sorry!

Big Boo Boo Kisses,
Daphne

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Gemma, I've heard that lavender is good so will keep it in mind, thanks. Right now I'm going to get some shut eye - maybe I'll wake up and find it was all just a nightmare!

Well, I can hope!!!

Thanks Daphne  :hug:. I just hope I don't roll onto it while I'm asleep!!! Eek!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Ouch! Helena that is so awful and can be such a painful injury.
Fingers and toes can take a long time to mend.

Back in February I injured my toes, had stepped onto a pair of Birkenstock sandles and had 3 lots of
xrays taken (felt like they were broken.)
It is still vey painful even now when I wear high heeled shoes.

I hope that the pain will go away and glad that you can type and  that you will soon be making your
bears again.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

ouch!  it sounds painful.   bear_sad   I hope it gets better soon.   :hug:

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Ouch!!!  Fingers hurt so much don't they!!!  Just spend lots of time on here to pass the time  bear_tongue   Feel better!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My sympathies, Helena . . . hope you are feeling much better tomorrow!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Ouch!!!! so sorry, Don't chu just hate when you do something to your bear making hands! grrrrrrr!
That happened to me once a few years back I had 3 doll orders going and cut my finger really bad while chopping veggies!
I was so mad!
Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oooooooohhhwwwwwwww ... the hairs on the back of my neck are prickling at the thought of your pain!!  I do hope you mend quickly Helena ... big YEOOOOOUCCCCHHH!!!!  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Years ago when I was young I was playing hide and seek with my cousins and being a cheat peaked through the crack in the door (where the hinges are) my cousin closed it shut and my thumb was in there.  bear_laugh  It went black and fell off. bear_shocked The nail that is, not the thumb. Kept me amused for ages watching it grow back. Its surprisingly painful. Look after yourself.

beary_clairey Luton

Oowwwwwhhhhhhh!!!! That does sound painful you poor thing !!!

I have slammed a car door on my thumb on 2 seperate occassions when I was a kid. That also hurt - ALOT !!!! Also have a permanent dent in the nail bed aswell to show for it !!!

Hope your finger recovers soon !!!

Hugs

Claire

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Aww, thanks everyone for your comments...it's appreciated  :hug:

Amanda, I know how your thumb felt (ouch), but your comment about 'it falling off' made me chuckle lol.

Finger's feeling much better today & looks better too. Thankfully it hasn't swollen or the nail gone black (yet!). I'm being ultra careful to keep it clean and with a little luck shouldn't hamper my bear-making for too long....I hope!

It's amazing though - I didn't realise how difficult it would be to get along without using one finger  bear_wacko

Thanks again!!!!  :hug:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Eek, that sounds horrible, Helena. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer. Just lots of hugs and good wishes for a quick-healing finger! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer