Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

OK....I know that like sewing machines, cameras are very much a matter of personal taste BUT for macro close-up photography of little things which camera do you use.

I simply cannot get crisp clear photos of my micro-mini bears and I know I need a better camera.  But the choices are  baffling and I would like to hear from people who use a product rather than sales people who are paid on comisison  bear_noexpression

So mini bear makers especially.....please help!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Melissa,
This is something I am still learning about, and I signed up with the EZBear university to do the photography course.
On my camera I have a close up setting - macro- it should be in your instruction book, but I still find that sometimes if I use this setting I get a blur on the picture- so at this stage I am not going to be much help and will like you throw it open to the experts.

I am enjoying the photography course, just that its been hectic this side and I have not been doing all my home work : bear_whistle  bear_whistle
Lynette

sarahjane Brisbane

I don't have any advice about the type of camera to buy but when you go along to buy it take one of your bears and get the salesperson to photograph it and put it on to a computer so you can have a look at the clarity.......If you are spending the money to buy a good camera  they should be willing to help with this....Good luck shopping.

Sometimes if you google reviews you can find out some good information too....

burlisonbears Burlison Bears
Louisville, Kentucky

I have a camera I really love. I actually was able to purchase it with saved up bear money!
In the beginning of my teddy career I borrowed a digital camera from a friend to take my pictures and the macro function sucked. All my shots were blurry, and it's amazing to me that I was ever able to sell my first bears with their crappy photos.

I saved up and bought an Olympus SP-320 7.1 megapixel digital camera. It has two macro function modes--regular and super macro. I use super macro mode for all my shots. Nice crisp sharp photos---as long as I keep my hand steady. I'm really happy with my camera and I had bought it off of ebay for a great deal from some people who sell tons of these cameras at all times on ebay.

Take a look at my avatar photos and some auction photos. Keep in mind that all my bears are tiny miniatures. Most are 3.5" and even smaller than that since they are in sitting position for the camera. My camera really lets me get in close to these little guys.

Also, just so you know...all I have to do to get my photos is put the camera on auto mode, turn off the flash, turn on super macro mode and start taking photos! Keep in mind all my photos are taken outdoors.

I highly recommend this particular camera. I just love it. If you have any other questions about it just email me.

-Eliza

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

I really don't know anything about cameras, I always used disposable cameras for vacations and whatnot.  I told my sister, who went to school for photography, what I wanted and my price range.  She gave me a couple suggestions and we both agreed on the camera I have now.  I personally love the camera for indoor and outdoor use.  I've never done indoor photo work before and the camera was user friendly and takes consistent quality shots.  My mini shots are always clear and give very close detailing.
It's a Canon Powershot S2 IS     If you google it you can see all of the specs and reviews.  I've had mine for just about a year and a half.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks guys - the macro on my camera  (a fuji) works fine for my bears around 3 inches - it's capturing those tiny less than 2" beasties that I'm having problems with...and unfortunately that's what I make most of.

I didn't know you could get super macro function...at least that gives me something to look for!  We  pay really high prices for electronic goods here in NZ so I don't want to make a mistake!  i.e one product in particular that I want I could get in the States for US$139.  Here it costs the equivalent of US$500

Donna A Brandon Bears
Fort Worth Texas

I love my Olympus. Its 'older' (6 yrs) a but bulkier/heavier than the new cameras out today.It has Macro function that works great.
Heres some suggestions that might help with the fuzzy problem.
Optical Zoom is better. The higher the number the better. Digital zoom enhances the pixels on the photo often making photos fuzzy.
The number of pixels determines how sharpe your photo is.
For my photos I use posterboard for the background. The kind kids in school use for projects. Most poster board has different colors on each side (light & dark)  My favorite colors are blue, brown and white.
I take my bears outside and set up a tripod. When I take photos inside I go the a bright sunny room and set up on a table using my tabletop tripod & macro function.  The bears are positioned on the posterboard which  I tape at the top & bottom to the wall or
table top.  I use the white posterboard to deflect shadows. The tabletop tripod comes in handy when I use one hand to hold up the
white posterboard and the other to 'click' the photo !...Sometimes I'll use the flash and hold a small white piece of posterboard
over the flash at an angle. That deflects the light so I don't get shadows.
Whats really great about digi cameras is that you can take hundreds of photos and delete delete till you get what you want.
Donna A.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I love my macro.  I even use it on my big bears (10 inches)  I think the importance with getting a really great shot with little ones is lighting and steadiness.  I'm looing into getting a tripod next. 
My camera cost around the $500 mark and is wonderful.  what i like about it is that it is chunky so sits on books and things (makeshift tripod  bear_tongue )
Maybe just take in your bears, tell them you want it specifically and get them to give you the best of whats out there.  you can always go to a camera shop, learn and then move on to Target and get it cheaper  bear_tongue

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Melissa, I have 2 digital cameras - the first is a Canon S110 power shot (2 mega pixel) that I got about 4-5 years ago as it was one of the less expensive ($500 at the time!) that could shoot close up and that was up to about 3" or so. I found it not quite good enough for the really little ones so bought a Canon A430 (4 megapixel) a year ago - it has the super macro on it which lets you get as close as 1cm, which is why I chose it, plus it was less than $150. So far I haven't even used the super macro as the macro gets closer than my old camera - and I think that is likely the case with most of the newer cameras. I don't really think you need to have a camera with huge amount of mega pixel unless you are planning to do a lot of enlarging of photos. I find both of these cameras of mine are great and do enlargements of 8x10 without even using the biggest setting on my camera. Since I am mostly using it for bear photos and posting on line (and I only have dial up internet) having more mega pixels would just be wasted! I  do intend to get a bigger camera someday but the prices are coming down all the time and the technology improving so for now just wanted something that could handle my miniature bears. Have you thought of buying a camera on ebay or internet it they are so expensive in New Zealand?

bubbles Bearz by Ilze
Canberra

I have a Lumix DMC-FZ20 (5 megapixel, 12 x optical zoom) and works PERFECT for taking pics of those teensy weensy itty bitty little things (using the macro lens of course).  Here are two pics of teensy flowers I took.  The flowers are really itty bitty.  They range between 3 and 5mm in diameter.

BEAR_FaeryBeary_Gold_004.jpg

BEAR_FaeryBeary_Gray_005.jpg

Wellington, New Zealand
Website

thankyou so much!  Ilze it was great to see an example with your camera.  I know I found a review a while ago on macro photography and I think panasonic/lumix was what they recommended too

and Edie...I know how titchy your bears are so value your information too.  Your model is only $199 here so that might be a good stop gap camera until I can afford what I want.

you can always go to a camera shop, learn and then move on to Target and get it cheaper

tee hee Sarah.  Planning to do pretty much that. Am trying to figure it out before the GC show so that "if" I sell some bears (fingers crossed) I might be able to pick up one cheaper while I'm in aus.

Board footer