Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

pattern.jpgI have had a couple of personal emails sent to me asking me how I make my own patterns.
It is easier to just post it and I am happy to help if I can.
My way is just that...my way, so I am sure it is a far cry from what a professional would ever do, but it works for me.
First I draw what I want it to look like.  Then I 'perfect' my drawing and take it to the copy shop, have it enlarged or reduced and cut out my pieces.  I trace around each piece and decide what fabric I want to use and where I want to use it.
In this case, I wanted the stretching cat, to have ultra suede paws, so you can see where I drew lines across, indicating where my seams will be.
Next cut them out again and retrace them, only this time add your seam allowances where you need them.  Here it would have been where the suede paws and arms would meet.  If you want it puffy in a certain area...add a dart...if you want it pinched in the middle somewhere, add a 'football dart'.
If I have been too vague, just let me know where you are confused.  I am happy to share all that I have figured out...but please keep in mind, this is just something that seems to work for me.  I am sure there are others of you, who do a much better job at this than I do.

By the way, this only sold for my opening bid of 65.00....so sometimes you flop!  But hey, it is fun and very rewarding to see one of your little orginals even sell at all! bear_grin:lol:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Do you have a picture?  I wanna see!!!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

nance, Thankyou for going to all that trouble. I have no training in pattern making but as an artist it just made perfect sense to do just as you do.:) So thankyou for confirming for me that I am on the correct track. Hey, it works for me.

I love the cat. He has a lovely stretch to him. Nonchalant:)

matilda

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Fantastic Nancy!  Thanks for sharing!

I also found something a long time ago that helped me with designing my own teddy bear patterns.... well 2 really....

1)  Design a Bear by Cindy Anschutz.  I got it at Edinburgh... but see that now they have something called "Create a bear" instead.  Not sure if it has some of the same info....

2)  Jennifer Laing's book:  Teddy Bear Art :  How to Design and Make Great Teddy Bears

Both have FABULOUS directions for designing your own patterns!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Nanc, thanks so much for posting this for all to see.  Maybe you could also post to TIPS & TECHNIQUES, in case someone is searching there for this topic in the future.

I love the little paws!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Nancy, how very generous of you to share your pattern-making techniques!  Yes, we'd love to see the finished product . . . know it is quite imaginative!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Nanc,
Great cat!  Can't wait to see the finished kitty.  She won't be eating any of your lovely mice will she?

I do the same thing.  I draw a picture of what I want my bear to look like then draw up the pattern pieces.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh:D Wow, Nance,

No wonder your little beasties have so much life and personality. Thanks for sharing!

I'm really glad you posted this, because I've been stumbling along the same path, and I'm glad to see what a pro does. I find it really helps to make sketches to figure out proportions, where to put the roundness and where not, where to curve a body part, etc. It's still a challenge for me to envision a three dimensional thing as two dimensional pattern pieces. I wish my sketches were as good as yours!

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Yep-  that's the only way I know how to do it- just start with a basic sketch and refine.  This looks like it will be really neat- have you made the little guy yet?  I look forward to the finished product, and especially posted next to your sketches.  That would be cool for everyone to see.

You're a smart cookie!

bear_tongue

Board footer