Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I have bought Tammie Lawrence's 5-51/2" little bears where she uses a 3 piece body pattern.  Her bears are really unique because the seams are on the sides  and
center back with a dart on the bottom of the front in the middle. I just love her little bears. Audrey

Audrey, this is basically what I do with my 3-piece bunny and mouse bodies. On a big bunny I use the dart. On a tiny mouse, I cut the end of the tummy piece in a V shape to reduce bulk.

I'm so grateful to learn that Tammie does this--validation! :dance:

. . .  though I have to say that I discovered the method after much trial and even more error bear_sad

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

but if it is a large guy, over 15", I use a 5 piece body. Not as hard as it sounds. You just add a shaped piece down the back where you would normally have a center back seam. In other words; two side pieces, two belly pieces with a curve for the belly, and a waisted back piece to create a very sculptural body

OK, I must get off this machine and take my 3 antsy dogs to the park and then get back to work, but . . .

:dance: More Validation, WooHoo :dance:

Karen, when I first made a 5-piece body, it was because my bear looked like a watermelon on a stick--the body was just too small for the head.  bear_cry

At the time it felt like cheating with patchwork, but the result was very pleasing--sculptural, as Karen says. This was ages ago, a Care Bear for my middle daughter, so I have no piccie, and the bear is long gone . . .

Anyway, if you need more support for the head at the neck/shoulder area, you can try stuffing the shoulder area hard and stitching the stuffing in place, or (rather than gathering the neck and head edges), using circles of fabric over the joints. I did both for Dawson, here.

AvDaw5.jpg

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

I've been toying with sketches for a two piece bear, with the two pieces being Front and Back, rather than left or right. The reason I want to do this is because a friend of mine bought me a Classic Pooh Art-to-Sew panel ( a 10 in square of fabric with a 6 in panel of art centered on it), which I'd like to use as the chest of a teddy bear.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I can't say that I have, but here is what I would suggest.
Are you just going to use the 6" center or the 10" piece?  The size of the bear will be determined by the size of the art work that you are using.
Instead of placing it on the chest, I would suggest the tummy.  Bears can have very big tummies that are great for what you are doing.
You will need to include the measurement of the artwork in the size of the body and need to make allowances for the arms and legs. Because most bears don't have flat tummies it can be tricky getting a panel on teddy's tummy.

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I made for my younger granddaughter this ...quilt? I am not too sure how to call it but, maybe can help? On a flat square piece of fabric I  use half of the bears ( body, head, ear, arm and leg ) to make it look like the profile of the bears. I have to see if i can find a picture, that way you can get a better idea of what i am talking about.
Gladys

chainofdaisies Palmerston North, NZ

this topic is really helpful bear_original was wondering what difference it would make having a 4 piece or two piece body, thanks for the clarification

Pages:

Board footer