Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

I've been reading a lot of material regarding jointing. I read one book where they said try to use the same size joints for everything. I had some verbal advice to use as large a joint as you can for durability. It makes sense to use different sizes since the head is much larger than my arms on my pattern. I suppose I could have made my limbs the same size but I drew the pattern a certain way and to make all the joints the same size would compromise the design. I already ordered my joints but thought this would be a good question for bear #2. Seems silly to change my design just to save a buck on a joint.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've never made a bear that used the same size joints all over.  The leg joints on mine are always bigger than the arms and head/neck joints.  Sometimes I have three different sizes in one bear.  So, I would think you can use the sizes that work for your pattern.  Be wild and crazy!!!

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

Thanks Sue Ann! That's what I was kinda figuring.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Yep, I've never made a bear with the same size joints allover either.  My arms are always smaller than my legs and most of the time my head seems to be the largest joint I use.  So I'm like Sue Ann.  Most of the time I have three different joint sizes in one bear.

candybears Candybears
Melbourne

Yep I'm the same I use a arger jint for my legs and head and smaller jionts for my arms. i did hear other ways of deciding what jiont to use. If you want a girl bear then use a smaller sized jiont so that you get more shapely leg or arm. If a boy a larger jiont so its more slim lined. I havnt tried this I just try to use a jiont that fits the shoulder/hip as close as possible.

anne-marie

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_thumb  Definitely good advice!

After a few wrong-size disasters, I keep a stash of joints in all different sizes.

Even so, I sometimes need to shave a bit off the outer rim to get the right fit.

I'm working now on a design for a bear standing on all fours . . . it's been through many revisions, as I experiment with balancing the bulk between body and shoulders/hips. I wanted him to look shouldery but not hippy--smaller discs in the forelegs and larger discs in the hind legs did the trick.

Board footer