Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

After reading about Janes computer problem, I've decided I really have to back up all my pictures onto CD's.  We very seldom print pictures anymore - just have them on the computer.  Does anyone know how many pictures one CD will hold?  Once I know, I can rearrange my files and start downloading them.

hugs,

Brenda

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Brenda,

A CD hold 650MB of data, so that depends on the size of each picture. A MB of data is 1024K so if all your pictures were 204K then there would be approximately 5 pictures per MB. And you would be able to put 125 pictures on the CD.

I hope that helped.

Hugs,

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I love it when smart women have the answers!  bear_thumb

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

I have been burning my pictures to DVDs because they hold much more. 4.7 gb

Just my way..since my computer is basically full up..and I take way too many pictures..lol

Hugs &

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Brenda, I burn all my pictures to CD's s then print out thumbnail pages and put them in a binder with page dividers that hold the CD.   I have about 5 CDs of pictures now so they are labeled "A", "B" etc.  That way, when I want to find a photo, I just look through the binder for it and pop in the CD.  Also, the photos aren't taking up space on your hard drive.

I also subscribe to Mozy computer back-up service.  It automatically backs up all the data on your computer periodically and is saved on a remote server.  If your computer crashes you can log on and restore.  It's really inexpensive.

I also have an external hard drive that holds 160 GB. 

I guess I'm a little paranoid about losing all my stuff too.

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Hi All,

I may be a smart woman (thanks Dilu) but apparently I can't do math.  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I dropped a couple of thousand pictures somehow from my total. A 650MB CD will hold 3250 picture at 200K per picture. 

Hugs,

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good advice here!

My solution for you is put all the pictures you want to save in ONE folder. Then 'right' click on the folder and scroll down to 'properties'. Here it will tell you exactly how many MB's that folder is. Then on your CD package it should tell you right there how many MB fits on that CD although the standard is what everyone on here has already told you.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!!!  I'm going to start burning my pictures this week. 

Such a lot of brilliant info - Patty, I love the way you organized the pictures - I'll give it a try.

Heather,  smarty pants - what a great way to know the volume of the folders. 

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer