Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

If I wasn't designing bears, I would.......

What would you be doing?  Do you have other passions in life?  This question was posed quite awhile back but I know, at least for me, life changes or learning something new sometimes alters the answer.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmm...  That's a good one.  Very thought provoking.

If I wasn't designing bears, I would...

--  feel kinda empty because it really feeds my soul

--  focus on another 3D creative effort, probably odd soft-sculpted art dolls, because I just need to be doing something dimensional with my hands to be happy

--  probably find work outside my home, which would be both terrific (I feel very isolated and lonely sometimes) and awful (I really enjoy being my own boss and being around for my kids)

--  possibly pursue some kind of career in graphic design or fine art

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Be studying for my degree 24/7? Be really bored? Be sat in front of the TV?

Hnmmm... all those for the benefit of having a 'normal' life and hobby... don't think I'll be quitting anytime soon bear_tongue

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Well, I would likely be making cloth dolls - which I do intend to pursue someday, but not to the extend I've done with bears. I don't think I'd get into selling them, just make a few for myself or gifts. I've always said I was going to take up quilting some day too. And I've got a number of scrapbooking projects lined up that I just never have time to get to, so that would be on the list too. (Actually I'm thinking I might take a bit of a break from bears this winter and try to get a start on a couple of them). I used to spend a lot of time knitting and crocheting and haven't done much of that for years other than the odd accessory for the bears so I do hope to get back to that someday too. Gosh, I hope there are enough years left - sounds like I could use a couple more lifetimes!!!  :crackup:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I would stay in the bear industry..... produce more shows...

And/or get a JOB! Yep! I miss having daily contact with the outside world, talking to people and having a steady paycheck.

But as long as I can stay home and make bears and produce a couple of shows a year that's what I'm going to do! bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

If I wasn't designing bears I would run away and join the Disney Cruise Staff on the Disney Cruise Ship "Wonder".  No one would ever see me again unless you came on the cruise ship........hhmmm not a bad idea.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I would be doing more sewing - especially want to make some cloth dolls. Would have more time for knitting and crocheting as well.

Marion

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Write ... write some more and then ... keep trying again and again until I became comfortable with it! bear_laugh

Dorothy Miss Dorothy's TeddyFolk
Alpine Ca.

I would like to be a storyteller, and tell stories. bear_flower  Years ago I took a story telling class at USD, it was designed for teachers. There were professional storytellers that told wonderful stories from all over the world, talking to one I said "I would love to do this, but I am afraid to be in front of an audience" She said "well, you have a problem then Dorothy. bear_ermm

clare14 Country Bears
England

GET SOME HOUSEWORK DONE!!!!!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

As the creative soul I am I would be designing and creating my dolls and primitive crafts.   I don't know what I would do if I couldn't be creative, it's like air to me!!  Can't imagine life without my needle, thread and paints!!   bear_original

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
clare14 wrote:

GET SOME HOUSEWORK DONE!!!!!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  Then you can come and do mine!!!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Well when I was on my break from bears I made jewellery and wrote.  I am being published in October and they want more so...
But I am managing to find a balance between the three and am enjoying it.  Sometimes one takes over from the other and that is ok especially if there are deadlines looming.
I would not go back to my old way of life 9-5 I found it soul destroying.

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Mmm.  I think I would either write children's stories, open a "holiday" store with cool stuff from all my favorite holidays, or open a bakery.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Interesting timing, Aleta!  Just this afternoon, I bought a new tip for my soldering iron and more solder and a glass cutter.  I want to do more with glass - jewelry and all kinds of neat things I'm dreaming up!  I just found this local lady who gives a one on one,  6 hour course on working with all aspects of glass, including cutting, piecing, making patterns etc.  and it's only $40.00!  I'm in heaven.

I want to actually play with all the scrapbooking, altered art supplies I have stored in my closet.  I'd like to get back to painting as well.  Lastly, I want to get back to writing - I do love it.  Too many things to do and not enough time LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Summer5 Pawssibles
Loon Lake, Saskatchewan

If I wasn't designing bears, I would do more altered art and maybe some beadwork, which I already do.  The only thing is after not making a bear for a few days I get restless, I need to feel mohair, work with dyes, prick my fingers, break my nails, not get my housework done...I just love making those silly bears! bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I would be Doll designing or Interior design! Love to create  bear_wub

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I can nolonger picture a life outside of PUDDLES.  I do fiddle with other arty bits and pieces but none captivate me like bear making. The only other time I have been this passionate about anything was with my acting.
Wendy

join the Disney Cruise Staff on the Disney Cruise Ship "Wonder".

Disney has a cruise ship???????

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Clare said

GET SOME HOUSEWORK DONE!!!!!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Judi said

Then you can come and do mine!!!!!

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

I say DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

No if I were not making bears I would be making something else like dolls, websites, well anything creative. I sold my first painting at the age of seven, my school teacher gave me two shillings (10 pence)  for it.  bear_grin  bear_grin
I thought I was sooo rich.  bear_grin I'd also redecorate the whole of my house and remodle the garden. Well I'd need some help but it would get done. There's nothing nice than a lovely freshly decorated house!

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Hugs Jane.

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Oh My !! I think Judy had a good idea !!! I love to sing and entertain so I think I will go to work with Judy and help make other peoples lives magical !!!Well ... thats my dream world !!!! Now lets see.................. UMMMMMMMM

I actually haven't decided at this point what else I would do. I really enjoy my bears. Maybe do some felt dolls. I will have to ponder this a while .I want to do some felting .Thats probably next for me.

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

Hmmm . . . well, I can't imagine not designing and making bears either, but, if I won the lottery, I'd take lots of road trips.  I love to be on the road seeing the country. 

But seriously, I'd have a video editing business.  I do editing for our local TV station and I've edited lots of home movies and transferred them to dvd and made wedding videos etc.  Tons of fun but I need a new computer.  It takes forever to render the videos on my laptop.  I'd also like to learn more about web design and throw that in too.

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

sculpt.... gnomes, pixies, cute little fairies etc. and then see if I could get Clare to come and do my housework  bear_grin  bear_grin

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

I know I should be getting my sister's little girls scrapbook done as she's 2 yrs. already! but I love to create the kitties and bears and cramp my hands up! but mostly, if I had the money, I would open up an animal rescue sanctuary on a acreage and save all those abused and neglected animals... bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've been thinking about it, too . . . I don't see a lot of bearmaking ahead of me because of my age.  But then, if I quit doing what I love, I'd have to start with the housecleaning - which I hate.  I'd need to begin by getting rid of stuff that's been accumulated over almost 44 years of marriage . . . so much stuff that we can't get our cars in the garage.  It would be a massive undertaking, so I think I'll stick to sewing bears for as long as possible.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Super wonderful photos, Gina!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

I would........................cry -big time bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I used to do a market stall selling teddies, hand knits, jewellry etc but only the hand knits were my own creation, unfortunately had to get up at 4am on sunday mornings to go and I found that I was then ill the rest of the week, at my day job (stress had become a physical illness). So I think I would be devastated if I could not make any more teds.

PS Whos the hunk, that was a nice surprise :photo:

Board footer