Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Cat Gabriel Cat Gabriel Crafts
Melbourne, Australia

newandold.jpgHi all,

I thought it would be fun to share this photo of the very first bear I ever made in 2003 alongside my latest bear.  What a difference!  :crackup: Just shows you there is hope for new bearmakers out there.  I nearly walked away from bearmaking after that first bear (look at that footpad stitching  bear_shocked ), but if you stick to it, your skills will improve.  Teddy Talk has helped me tremendously too and motivated me to try new techniques.  I'm still learning with every bear I make.

Anyone else got some first bear photos to share?

cjsmum Happy Little Souls
Sydney

Great thread Catherine,
It's been ten years since I made this 6.5cm little tacker on the left (he was my 6th bear but first mini), the 9cm fellow on the right I finished last week.

first_and_last.jpg

There is a bit of a difference in size and finish, but I'm glad I stuck with it, finishing them these days gives me a huge thrill.

I only have little ones on display at the moment, but if I find my first ever bear who's living in a bear cave at the moment I'll get a picture of him and add it too. From memory he truly is a sight to behold  bear_tongue .

Mel

Melbourne, Australia

Mel, your first mini bear is fantastic!  A lot better than my effort  bear_tongue  I'd love to see a pic of your very first bear too.  I find it fascinating how people's bearmaking styles develop through the years too.

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Here's my first bear ...

Howie.jpg

the one that got me hooked back in '96.

Now let's see some more first bears from the oldies!

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

For something a little different....here's a collage showing my improvements over the first 2 years in the Thread Crochet Bear world.  Then one of my more recent bears.  Then followed by my first sewn bear (a year ago) and my most recent sewn bear.

First 2 Years Thread Crochet Bear Progression Collage:
BearCollage.jpg

My Most Recent Thread Crochet Bear/Panda - Leif:
Leif5-72dpi-400x400.jpg

First Sewn Bear - Flutter:
MR-Flutter-SittingChair-72dpi-300x400.jpg

Most Recent Sewn Bear - Gilbert:
Gilbert1-72dpi-300x400.jpg

/bearhugs,

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Spring-Jerimiah-Lucky-007-190-pix.jpgmy-first-bear.jpg

These are my pictures to share. This is Tilly and Lilly my first try and then the next picture is a sample of what I have developed into with GOD'S help.

Melbourne, Australia

Sandi, your first bear is wonderful!  I can see why you were hooked bear_original

Mary, it's great to see how your style has progressed over the years, I admire anyone who can do both sewn and crocheted bears!

Jodi, that's a sweet first bear, very well done for your first try I must say!  My first bear is starting to look worse and worse compared to others lol:)

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

grayce.JPG just 3 inches. Okay this is the first bear I ever made, terrible picture of her 2003, I thought she was adorable.
Here is my latest star....dragonflyhouse2.JPG but my personal favorite of all time is Splash~~splashface1.GIF

K Pawz Guest

Oh I just love this thread!!! I will dig some up too

Hugs,
Krista

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oldnew.jpgOh how FUN!  My first fabric bear was made from a Debbie Kesling pattern from her book, How to Make Enchanting Miniature Teddy Bears... now I say that with an appology to Ms. Kesling... 'cause mine looks NOTHING like what it was supposed to look like!  I've shown my first mohair bear on TT before, and I believe that I've also shared the first one I made from my OWN pattern... but this little guy is really and truly my first one ever made in fabric. 

cayascubs wrote:

My first bear is starting to look worse and worse compared to others lol:)

I think I've got ya beat for worst firsty!   bear_cry   Though I think you and I could TIE in a "You've Come A Long Way Baby" category!   :crackup:   :doh:

My first little guy has a.... get this... STRING JOINTED HEAD!  NO foot pads, no paw pads at all, in fact... I'm not sure where is mouth even went to... maybe on the bottom of his chin!  And yes.... I do believe that you can even SEE the thread I used to string joint his arms... ooops!  I think he was made in the FALL of 2003.  And he's been in my children's stuffed animal bin down in our basement for 4 years!  He's obviously been played with a lot, and it looks like he's even been drawn on with magic markers and chalk!  He's certainly seen better days... but not MUCH better!  :doh:  My little ones call him "Mr. Icky-Head."  It took me a week to make that bear, and I felt all thumbs the whole time. 

He's pictured with Lillian, a bear from a couple of months ago, who's been hanging out in the studio with me on layaway.  She's such a good sport to have her photo taken with such a scrappy little guy.  Thank you Lillian!   :hug:   

Now, if THAT isn't encouraging to new bear makers, I don't know what is!  Seriously... we all start somewhere.  NEVER, ever assume that you can't DO this based on your first bear.     :dance:   It's all patience and practice.

Kim Basta

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Here was my first......
barlow06.jpg

PeachtreeCottage Peachtree Cottage
Georgia
Website

I love seeing the first bears type stuff.  I hope more artists post theirs!

/bearhugs

wendi Toggle Teddies
Derbyshire
Website

How embarrassing is this going to be  bear_grin  :crackup:  Looking forward to see all the pics  bear_original

Ok here goes, this is my very first bear in 2004 'Frankin' made from very cheap synthetic, and yes he is Frankenstein's monster  :crackup:

Frankin.JPG

This is Wallnut my first mohair bear from 2004  bear_grin

Wallnutt.JPG

And this is one of my latest  bear_original

Coconut.JPG

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

First bear head - a Cactus Bloom head - Jan 1990 - .75" tall
Never sewed the cactus 'body' because I was too disgusted with the torqued muzzle & sts showing.
Fortunately my sister rescued it from the bin....
FIRSTbear_head72_copy.jpg

Summer 2007 - Needle Felted Polar Bear head - 2.50" tall
Female72_copy.jpg

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Wow Bobbie.  That is one beautiful polar bear!  Just really stunning!!!  You certainly have a gift!!!   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

OK, here is my first and my most recently completed bear.............

then_n_now.jpg

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Thx Connie, but your 'recent' is cut off - we wanna see!!!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I LOVE this thread!!!   I finished my 6th bear last month and I'm struggling with my new one as its my first pattern I've played around with.  Looking at your lovely before and after shots have given me the inspiration and drive to carry on - more please ............................

Hugs Ali x

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Awe bear_original This is an awesome thread!! I want to participate.. bear_sad lol. I can't though because all my bears that are not for adoption are packed in storage.. inc my first who is really really sad.. heehee, made of fun fur and an old glove bear_original I love him still.
On a cool note I think we may have found our house! Going back to look at it today.  :dance:
Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Guys.  It's really amazing to see how far everyone has come. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   Besr creating is an on-going learning process.  I learn something new with each bear or animal I make.

Here is my "THEN" bear, "Precious" made from recycled alpaca fur....
Alpaca-Precious04.jpg

and my "NOW" bear Chocolate Thunder 24" tall......ChocolateThunderRESZ-01A.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

DallasforTT-2.jpgfirstbearKeaton.JPGOn the left is my first bear made from mohair and the first bear I made from my own design.  EEEEEEEK!!!!
On the right is Dallas, the bear that won grand prize in the Steiff contest - resulting in their interpretation, Cappuccino.

Jan Nethercutt YesterYear Design
Oklahoma

Little-Leaf.jpgLittle-Bertram.jpgMy first bear, Little Lord Bertram, was created in January 2005.
One more recent bear is Leaf Rustle, a fairy bear, created in May 2007.  Favorite is still my avatar, Rascal, born in June 2007.

Hugs, Jan

Melbourne, Australia

Oh wow, what great pictures everyone!  It really is fantastic to see how far everyone has come.

Ali, I am so glad you are finding this thread inspirational!!  bear_original

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

First_Bear_small.jpgAlexandra_small2_copy.jpg

It's been so long since I posted a picture, I'm not sure I have it right, but here goes.

These are my first and last. Chloe (the little girl with the skirt, in case you can't tell the difference) was from a kit by B.Irwin Bears about 2003. She has a bit of a lopsided nose and crooked mouth, but I'll keep her forever anyway.

Alexandra is the cream colored bear that I finished last week.

I just noticed that I've used the same ribbon on both little girls...quite a coinkydinky.

Mayzu Posts: 10

Wow .. this thread has given me new hope!
I love all the amazing improvements. And it really is fascinating how a little shading can bring so much dimension and life to a bear.

Board footer