Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Are there any other old folks out there like me who wondered why the radio & print media wasn't reminding us to set back our clocks?? (Though I understand that OZ and nations in that region set 'ahead'?)

So I went to my best pal, Google:

(darned old Energy Act  of 2005....)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21507150/

From Google on a Canadian site -
Don't set your clocks back an hour this weekend or you'll have a lot of coworkers laughing at you on Monday morning. This year, Daylight Saving Time ends 2 a.m. the first Sunday in November, instead of the last Sunday in October.
For that, you can thank the U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005. To save energy, U.S. legislators set the stage then for 34 weeks of DST, beginning this year.

The savings "could be in the ballpark" of 1% of household consumption on a daily basis, said Rob Douglas, research officer at the time standards group of the National Research Council of Canada.
So it won't be until next week that everyone rolls back the hands of time -- everyone except Saskatchewan that is. That province stubbornly sticks with Central Standard Time, year round.

LOL - just like Arizona and a tiny piece of Indiana/Michigan!!! Any others?

It's been said that this equates to cutting 1' off the end of your blanket & sewing it to the top....
True....

But this being 'The Schaumburg Weekend' we always looked forward to that extra hour overnight.
That would've been especially appreciated after last night's Fuzzy Slippers night.
Any input yet, partygoers????

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

My friends in the UK have all ready reset their clocks.  Me personally I think all the flip flopping with the clocks is a silly exercise.  All it does is tick off my critters when they get their dinners late.    bear_tongue

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

My stupid calender has today & next sunday both marked...and when you look really close, today's says

(old)

and next sunday says

(new) bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

suburban Chicago

Charlotte, that sounds like a pretty SMART calendar to me! Very forward-thinking.

Debbie, I used to think my DH was really crazy when he complained for a month both times each year about feeling our-of-sync. And I made no bones about telling him so!

As I've passed the 60 mark, I've noticed in the past few years that my natural waking time has shifted on those two weekends.....hmmmm....  Though I would NEVER admit it to Don after all the razzing I've given him over our years together!!!

jude P.F.A.T.T. Cottage
Belding Michigan

The screwy thing is..our TV thought it should have been last night and it threw off all our times tapings for the morning political shows.  DH is not a happy camper. bear_sad

Jude

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes our clocks went back..and all it means to me is that I got up even earlier and am going to bed even later!!! No peace for the wicked!!

teeeej Brisbane

I miss daylight savings. Queensland stubbornly refuses to bring it in. bear_angry

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

My daughter was watching the tv when her boyfriend told her that his cell phone set the time back. She asked me Mom change the time. I told her all the clocks set themselves,probably cause they did not want to be touched by me. :crackup: I don't worry any more if its ahead or forward. I still have to do what I have to do.I get up early any way and I go to bed almost early morning anyway. Its after 2:00am and still have to wait till 4:30am. I get enough sleeping 3 to 4 hours I guess I got used to the night : bear_original   :hug:  :hug:

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Your right there Bobbie, there was not much word about it this year, I always remember the last weekend in October, clocks 1 hour forward for daylight savings, and that doesn't apply to all states, here in Aus. bear_original

suburban Chicago

This is making me realize what a global marketplace we live in, and the influence the States have.

I read more of the Canadian sites that were in the list I'd Googled: it stated that Canada was following our new-this-year-practice of activating the Energy Act 2005 to stay in synchrony with us/US, which is purported to save at least 1% of energy costs, by having late afternoon/early evening last an hour longer before lights, etc go on.

After traveling in Asia and throughout Europe and seeing so many of our clothing and car brands, cereals, candy bars etc for sale and being used overseas, the US does lead in many ways. It would appear that not only Canada wants to stay in sync with our clock time. Except for Saskatchewan, Queensland, Arizona and that tiny bit of Michigan and Indiana (where I've heard that there's a town split right down the middle with half changing & half not!!), all the rest of us will be changing next Sat night.

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

My hubby got up and set all the clocks back and then I got up to tell him it is next weekend! Our tv guide station and tv shows were all off. They cheated me out of one hour of Law & Order yesterday!

Board footer