Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Has anyone used this for weight? I've bought a bag of silica sandblasting sand - it was only about $8 Cdn for 50 lbs. Do you think I'll run into problems?...a little nervous here.

Marion

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmm not sure if you will run into a problem or not Marion, I know with Australia you can't send a bear in with sand in it (correct me someone if I'm wrong about that).  Is the sand a really fine sand?  Sounds very interesting and very economical.

hugs

Shane

Brockville, Ontario

It's fine enough - about the same as the glass beads from Disco-joints. It's silica based for fine sandblasting (whatever that means)... not regular sand. I got it at a car parts store (husband got it actually - I find these places look at me funny if  I have to explain what I want it for). bear_wacko   I intend to put it in bags (old nylons) in the body of the bear for weight.

Marion

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

It's silica based for fine sandblasting (whatever that means)... not regular sand.

Yes Marion, this is one of the products I sought out and carried in my Fabric days.
They have been furnace-'slumped', which has removed the sharp edges by heating.
It is a totally clean and rounded product, unlike beach sand that is sharp-edged and may harbor little micro Buggies.

It comes in many grades/sizes and is a very good weighing product.
I wanted to tst its strength based on the distributor's claims, so I got an oak board and a hammer: they are still embedded in the board and they did not shatter. I couldn't get them to really shatter so they are certainly safe (won't cut their way out of a fabric with movement) and are inert - so they should be accepted anywhere.
I just wouldn't describe them as 'sand'.
"Inert construction building material" is adequate!

Brockville, Ontario

Bobbie - you are a font of unusual and useful knowledge!!! Thank you so much. This stuff is so incredibly cheap compared to the glass beads but I was a little worried about it. I will be sure to bag it securely in the bear - just like I did the glass beads.
:dance:
Marion

suburban Chicago

I noticed only one difference: I carried 2 grades (sizes) of 'Sand' and one of glass bead.
All of them fit nicely into a 'maple syrup' jug, 1 lb each.

However, after Luann Bowen began carrying stainless steel weighting, I bought some of hers.
I was quite surprised to discover that, in filling my jugs that held 1 lb of my materials, one lb of hers filled the jugs only 3/4 full. In other words, in terms of quantity, hers (and other stainless steel) are slightly heavier in the same amounts of say, 2 TBLspoons or 1/4 cup.

Choosing which to use came down to what size bear I was making: in a 2 - 3" bear I'd use the stainless steel and in a 3 - 5" bear I'd use my sand or steel. That way I had the same weight in them, no matter what the size.

Did I explain that understandably??

Brockville, Ontario

yeah ... like a handful of feathers and a handful of lead are going to be different weights :)
I think I'll like the glass sand cause of it's squishy feel as well - I don't find that s.s. shot is as squishy.

Marion

suburban Chicago

That's why they have so many different products available!!

I agree about the squishiness, which is why I also used the industrial glass; (I've still got that board around here somewhere, with the sand & glass embedded..) the sand had been furnace-slumped so they have no sharp edges but they were still irregularly shaped. When I wanted a good solid pack, I used one of the 2 sands - the shapes helped them lock in tightly next to each other.
The glass beads were about the size of 2 mm onyx beads and were cast-molded so they were perfectly round. They gave the squishiness because it was impossible to make them lock into each other. If I wanted to use the glass but make them pack tightly, I'd layer wisps of polyfil in as I filled the body part.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

ummm followed you until you said "industrial glass?"  anything i can get more locally im interested in! great advice aboutthe sand..always wondered about it! deb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I am listening with great interest! :dance:

suburban Chicago

Check your Yellow  Pages to see if you have an industrial supplier for Sandblasting Materials. There are other titles for it too, but they escape my mind this minute. Most likely you'll have to purchase a 50 lb tub/pail/pkg minimum bit if you create bears larger than minis you'll use it all yourself.

A funny story I meant to relay before: when I stopped exhibiting on the show circuit in Nov 02, I still had glass and sand left over. We were having our house stained (outside) 2 summers ago, and as the porch windows (where it was stored) would leak if water was sprayed at them, I decided to just dispose of my remains.

I opened some of the porch screens and dumped the remainder out onto the shrubs and the surrounding mulch.
When the painter got to the front of the house he came inside one day and very diplomatically asked if we knew what was spread on the ground. I had to go look because I couldn't imagine what he was talking about.

He sheepishly admitted that he thought it might be some kind of toxic waste!!

Brockville, Ontario

Just make sure that it's silica based rather than the usual sand. The guy who told me about it needed to re-paint his Harley and apprently the silica-based sand is less abrasive? Anyway, my husband picked it up at a local car-parts store.
I think tho that I will also pick up some glass beads next chance I get so I can combine them as you suggested Bobbie.

Marion

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I purchase 25 kilo bags of fine glass/sand which is used for sandblasting buildings.I purchase the 1mm and the 2mm beads. You get different grades and when I spoke to the seller he suggested the better grade as then they do not splinter avoiding any sharp "unsafe" edges.
As far as I am aware all glass is made from sand( got off a 13 hour flight and trying to catch a wake up call)
from the same supplier I get stainless steel 2mm pellets- this is an expensive product however you use very little, with it being stainless steeel it does not discolour the material as lead pellets can do, lead is also not that safe a product to use.

Lynette

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

oooh great info!  thank you all!  need to go talk to my brother the car repair (body) about where he buys his! safe weekend all!  deb

Board footer