Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if any of you had had a great deal of experience with this so called "mock mohair".  I have been curious for a while and it got the better of me.  I found some on sale so I ordered a couple of pieces (it was only like $7 for a fat quarter so it was fine) and it arrived this morning.

I have to say that I'm hating it at this stage!  The backing is BRIGHT orange, on both pieces and feels like what I can only liken to those plastic type string bags that nanna used to carry her shopping in when I was little.  Not sure if they have them anywhere else, so for you non australians, it's a scratchy plasticy loose weave that I doubt I could ever pluck or even trim down short on the muzzle.

I'll try and take some closer up photos sometime today so anyone else who's curious can have a look, but have you all found the same thing?  Or am I judging it too early?

Hope you are all well!

Edit:  Ok, so here are the photos in case anyone else has been curious about what this stuff is like.  The backing on both of these is quite open - ie if you trimmed the pile you would see the stuffing through the holes.  It seems as though I might be the only person who's ordered this before - am I right?  I can't really truly have expected anything spectacular for $6, and I could use it for pattern testing I guess.  Just scared to go to all of the effort and then have the bear look nasty when he's finished :(

Picture-004.jpg Picture-003.jpg  Picture-001.jpg

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

What is it?  I didn't even know they had that?

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire
Kelly wrote:

What is it?  I didn't even know they had that?

They have a section on Mock Mohair at Gerry's and it has 60% off. So from the quote above regarding you're from Aus and it's on Sale, I'll say its from the link below.

http://www.gerrys.com.au/home.php?cat=267

Richy~

Well I didn't want to defame any businesses by naming names, but I suppose it must have been fairly obvious  bear_ermm

My camera doesn't seem to be agreeing with the computer so I can't get the photos to load.  Will keep trying though!

Kelly Blondheart

The backing on it looks really loosely woven.  It's good you didn't pay much for it.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH Erin, my first reaction was "ooo YUCK!! " my second reaction was to shiver in horror. :crackup:
Oh my goodness that fabric(I use the term loosly) because it should be ashamed of its self for existing under that name . What yucky horrid stuff. :crackup: I must admit it, your expression would have been a kodak moment when you opened your parcel :crackup:
Since it didnt cost a fortune, why not experiment with it? put it into some HOT water and see what happens. bear_grin I'm curious about how much that weave would close up. Probably not much but you never know.
Have fun bear_grin
Wendy

Kelly Blondheart
matilda wrote:

OH Erin, my first reaction was "ooo YUCK!! " my second reaction was to shiver in horror. :crackup:
Oh my goodness that fabric(I use the term loosly) because it should be ashamed of its self for existing under that name . What yucky horrid stuff. :crackup: I must admit it, your expression would have been a kodak moment when you opened your parcel :crackup:
Since it didnt cost a fortune, why not experiment with it? put it into some HOT water and see what happens. bear_grin I'm curious about how much that weave would close up. Probably not much but you never know.
Have fun bear_grin
Wendy

I bet it wouldn't change much, it looks like it's completely synthetic so the fibers wouldn't shrink....it might have some sort of poly-nylo meltdown... :crackup:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Eeeeeuuuwwwwwww .... rather you than me Erin!  It reminds me of the scrubby thing my daughter uses in the shower!!

Alexis Lexsomnia Bears

WOW! I have never seen anything like it! bear_shocked  That is supposed to be mock MOHAIR!  :crackup:  Doesnt look like any sorta hair...uhm, maybe alien hair...hahaha! Can you return it? I dont think you should even bother trying to experiment. I think you might have a bear of a time trying to sew it just for your creation to look icky. It would look nothing like what your baby would like like in plush or real mohair anyway. My thoughts...return it or trash it!!!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Its been around for quite a while so I imagine *someones* been using it, and I have seen bears made up in it, of course I can't remember offhand just who.

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I have to agree with what everyone else says. I would first of all, send them an email, including pictures and explain it's not useable! I would also push for a refund. You can pretty much tell why it's on offer!

I had the exact same thought All bear, A loofa!

If you can't get a refund Maybe use it for testing out new patterns. See what the shape looks like made up. You could line it I guess if you wanted also?

Well, good luck! Keep us posted of what happence!

Richy~

teeeej Brisbane

I used some mock mohair once on a bear. I didn't like it much. But my sister picked out the kit with that mohair so I had to use it.  bear_ermm  I don't think I will use that particular one again. It had too much stretch in it, and I didn't know you could line fabrics back then. It also did not feel quite right - not soft enough for my tastes. There are a lot nicer synthetics out there then mock mohair.

Since it was so cheap, why not try it out anyway. You never know until you try.

Hehe - you guys are funny  bear_grin

YES - it DOES feel like a loofah! Exactly!  The fur itself isn't particularly offensive, quite soft in fact.  Its just the backing that completely ruins it.
I wont complain or ask for a refund - it was cheap as chips and I bought it with low expectations.  Granted that I was hoping for a pleasant surprise...but no.  Perhaps I could cut it into small pieces and give them out as Christmas gifts.  "Body exfoliation cloth" anyone?

Since I have no plans to waste my efforts on it, I might have a play with it.  Boiling water, hot water, bleach... really just torment the hell out of it to see what happens!  Will get some pics when I do.

So here's your warning: Don't buy mock mohair.  Not even worth loading the page!   bear_tongue

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

it might have some sort of poly-nylo meltdown...

:crackup: I never thought of that

It reminds me of the scrubby thing my daughter uses in the shower!!

Now I know where I had seen it before :crackup:

I might have a play with it.  Boiling water, hot water, bleach... really just torment the hell out of it to see what happens!

Now theres a girl after my own heart.  I cant wait for those tortured photos. :crackup:
Wendy

lol

I have no doubt it will melt in the boiling water.  I'd set it on fire too if I wasn't so worried that the fumes would give me brain damage!  I'll hopefully be able to make a start on the massacre tomorrow in between making a very girly kitchen apron for my friend's birthday.

Yippee!

teeeej Brisbane

Ohh send us photos...  bear_grin

Yes, I would advise against burning it indoors. A lot of synthetic compounds produce toxic fumes. bear_wacko

Hope you have fun with it.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Oh my god!!!!

So, what about your tries at torturing it????
Did you get any positive result or there is definately nothing to expect from it?

I could suggest you use it to make toys for pets with it... unless it could be toxic for them... you never know.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_whistle

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Board footer