Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

bear_cry I left work early yesterday as I was lousy with a sinus headache due to hayfever.  I got home to the ominous sound of running water from the upstairs neighbours and opened my front door to find pretty much my entire house flooded.  The kitchen and bathroom were several inches deep in water and the lounge carpet thoroughly saturated.  Water was dripping on my head  bear_sad  So I spent the next few hours mopping and tearing out carpets.  My living room will be unusable for the next few days/weeks.  I now have to pack up my entire house so it can be recarpeted at some point.  All this a week out from my Christmas break...so instead of winding down as I planned I'll be packing. Luckily my landlord owns the house next door too, so I have moved my lounge furniture into his garage.

Fortunately the damage to my stuff was fairly minimal - luckily I had moved my laptop so it didn't get wet.  Unfortunately, I had set out some things the night before for christmas gifts - some scrapbooking papers and most importantly my stash of vintage longpile mini fabric - I'm hoping that the fabric will be salvageable - it was covered in grit but I've left it soaking and hopefully the pile will be ok

It was all the fault of the local council - a mains pipe had broken down the road earlier in the day and it seems they forced water through the pipes - and that water came out at our house.  Still, I guess the silver lining is that I will hopefully get new carpet and new paint too...

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

Oh Melissa-I am so sorry that this has happened to you and especially so close to Christmas.I wish that I could help you in some way but the only thing I can do is send you great big comforting hugs. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Do take it easy and don't try to do too much at once.Oh I could just cry thinking of you.Please know that we care! Sincerely Jane D.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

aye, aye, aye!!  Melissa that is awful!!!  Luckily for the laptop, if your like me I wouldn't know what i'd do if i lost that, but your fur and stuff  bear_cry  bear_cry hugs hon  :hug:  :hug: not what you want to be doing at this time of year so i hope it gets finished with fast!!  :pray:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh Melissa, what a shame!  I"m sorry you will be packing instead of relaxing and enjoying the season.  Hope all your fur is salvagable!  Take care.

hugs,

Brenda

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Big OUCH!  That's terrible, Melissa!  You're right . . . I guess the bright side is new carpet and paint.  But what  inconvenient timing.  Actually, any time is inconvenient for something like that to happen.  Good vibes headed your way.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

That is awful Melissa.  I hope you sort through all this and they compensate you for all you've lost (including your time cleaning up the mess!).  Anyway, my thoughts are with you!!!

Biggest Hugs!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh no!!! What a mess and what a pain in the neck. There is never a good time for something like that to happen but right before your breaK? Jeesh! You sound like you are handling it pretty well and good for you to find the silver lining. New carpet and paint is always nice.

Huge  :hug:
Daphne

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Melissa!!!!!!   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh no Melissa bear_sad
Such a bad time for something like that, or no time is good. bear_sad

I hope that you get it cleaned up and sorted out.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Melissa that is awful to walk into such a mess, it is good that you can see a positive out of it all. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Oh Melissa how dreadful! I had the same thing happen when flating in Sydney. The Upstairs hotwater overflowed and drowned my unit.  I felt devastated while cleaning up. But I soon got over it. bear_grin
Keep your mind on the new carpet and paint.  Oh ! if only my place could get flooded now......I would dearly love new carpet bear_grin  bear_grin
Wendy

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

Oh my gosh Melissa  bear_shocked  bear_shocked  I hope everything will turn out ok ; sending calming thoughts for you !  :hug:
Ruth

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Oh No Mel, thats awful, sorry to hear that News,  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Sorry to hear about your mishap with the flood, that is such a mess to clean up.  I hope the fur is okay and look for that new carpet and paint! Have a good break anyhow!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Melissa: what a horrible situation. I hope the city will pay for your personal damages. But as you said, the bright side is new carpet and paint....try to relax some even though you will be cleaning up for a while. Take at least an hour a day to do something nice for yourself like reading or watching tv.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked  Bad enough when its Mother Nature doing the flooding, but even worse when its the local council responsible.  What a mess!!  bear_cry    :hug: Will keep everything crossed that the cleanup goes smoothly for you  :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Hope you soon back living in a new spanking clean house.

Lynette

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh, Melissa, what an awful thing to happen. Hope you get everything sorted out really quickly so it doesn't spoil your Christmas.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

thanks guys for your kind thoughts - boy oh boy packing would be so much easier if I wasn't into crafts and books.  I have barely started and I'm exhausted already!  I have 10 days away over Christmas and apart from cooking christmas dinner, I plan to do absolutely nothing!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Melissa,

I am sorry to hear this has happened and so close to Christmas too. I hope you are back in your shiny new home soon.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs,

katiescraftworks katiescraftworks

What a dreadful thing to happen, particularly at such a busy time of year.  I guess looking at the bright side is the best way to cope and you seem to be doing that, but, still, it is an awful thing to have happened.

Sending bear hugs and good wishes,
Cathie

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oooh we just had carpet layed Wednesday!!!  So I feel your pain with packing everything.  Unfortunatly - we were only given notice on Monday afternoon LOL

Have fun!  But new carpet is fantastic!
Danni

Board footer