Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I recently bought a book called "French Inspired Jewelry."  It is a lovely book filled with grand things and when I discovered they had a shop and a website at www.frenchgeneral.com I was pretty thrilled. On the site you can order kits to make jewelry.  They really are overpriced but I wanted to make a bracelet for my Mother.  I had also bought her a copy of the book for part of her  Christmas present since I enjoyed it so much and thought she would too. I decided I would also make one for a friend.

So I ordered two little tins of beads they put together to make these bracelets from their website.  66.00 for what was probably less than 5.00 worth of notions, but still...it was for gifts and I wanted it to be just right.  They had beautiful large pictures of the finished product on the site.  It was a little hard to navigate though.  Slow loading times even with DSL and a good computer.

They arrived today and much to my dismay one of the kits was the wrong one.  So I right away sent off the following E-mail to them:

"Hi,

I just received my first order from you.  It was #13154, and one item I received was incorrect.  You sent a kit called "My bleeding heart"  and I ordered "My jealous heart."  The one I wanted was green, this one is red.  How would you like me to proceed in exchanging it for the correct thing?

Kelly Dauterman"

I don't think that was rude.  It was to the point and I supplied all the correct information, and I am sure they are busy so I kept it brief.  This was my reply from them:

"We pulled up your order and it shows you ordered My Bleeding Heart:

Invoice # 13154

Jon"

No offer to exchange it, nothing.  I went back to the site and had a look.  On the particular kit I ordered there were four color options with different names.  Each one was clickable, bringing that specific color bracelet up on the screen on its own separate page with nothing else.  Now I would think if an item is on the page alone you would be able to click the add to cart button and get the item you are looking at.  You can't.  What I didn't realize was at the bottom is a really tiny drop down screen that you have to manually change to the name of the thing you want.  It doesn't specify anywhere that you have to do that either.  I am certain I can't be the only person who has ever done that.

But can you imagine replying to a customer that way?  We would all be out of business so fast!  I was shocked!  What has happened to customer service in our country?  It's gotten ridiculous.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened lately either.

Tomorrow I will be phoning them instead of sending an E-mail to sort this out...and believe me we WILL sort it out to my satisfaction!  :twisted:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Customer Service.....I don't think people have ANY idea what that means. I get so frustrated trying to talk to some businesses! I have even told them:"If I treated my customers the way you do, I would NOT be in business."! It doesn't seem to bother them at all. AND, it doesn't seem to matter if it is a Large Corporation, or a small business.

Keep after them and make them get it right (hopefully so you can finish the project before Christmas!)

pandamac

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Kelly.  You sound very frustrated and rightfully so.  You know what I woudl do?  Think honey not vinegar.   I would call them up and say something along these lines:

"Hi.  I just had to call you and tell you that I love your website.  It completely caught my attention when I saw the "My Jealous Heart " kit I knew this is exactly what I wanted so I placed an order.  Somehow I received "My Bleeding Heart" instead.  I was so sure about my order and since I have my heart set on the "My Jealous Heart" kit please let me know how to go about exchanging this."

It's human nature to get mad when you feel you have been wronged.....but anger only produces high blood pressure, stress , and ulcers.

I hope you get things sorted out.....after you do suggest to the seller that he reads, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.  One of the best books ever written in my opinion.

I am certainly not telling you what to do so I hope you do not take offense I just truly believe with all my heart that a soft approach gets results.  Good luck Kelly! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I'm with Judi.  I use Honey a lot when I'm faced with something along these lines.  Stupidity also works for me.  The screaming kids in the background are also a plus and usually make the person just give me anything I want to get off the phone with me.  My children can be rented at a very reasonable price if you are interested.... bear_tongue

Good luck.  I'm sure it will work out well.

Hugs,
Lisa

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Lisa wrote:

My children can be rented at a very reasonable price if you are interested.... :P

I love your attitude Lisa :clap:  :dance:

Kelly, I am sure it will all work out for you. bear_flower  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

LOL You go Lisa!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin
And Judi is correct! Your a very smart lady Judy! Use alittle honey!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm with the phone call suggestion. It's a little harder to be brushed off and they might feel they have to be a little nicer as they can't just type characters on a computer screen and send them off into cyber space. On the phone you become a real human being and if they are also real humans they might just find it necessary to be polite.

I also have to agree with the 'kill them with kindness' philosphy.... as hard as it is can be to be nice.....But it's better for your health and does usually generate a positive response if you seek a resolution born of peace.

If that doesn't work then tell what what you really think! bear_angry  bear_tongue

Screaming children can be substituded with barking dogs, screaching parrots, the doorbell ringing.... bear_laugh

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Okay, you girlies have me putting on my Mary Poppins hat already this morning.......

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down.  Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way!
bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Warmest and biggest holiday bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

P.S.  I heard that huge collective groan!  Ha!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kelly,
     I have run into this sort of thing this Christmas as well, but in person, not on line.  As hard as it is for me when I'm ticked off, I do try the "sweet as pie" routine first as it is usually succesful.  However, if that doesn't work, then I think you have every right to demand satisfaction.
      You are right though - the phone will be the best place to sort this out - they can't be rude or I would demand to talk to the owner or manager.   I think though, you probably just got one clerk who made a bad choice with their response.   Maybe you could tell them you belong to a group with over 1500 members (and potential customers) and we are all anxious to know how they handle your problem, and you will be happy to let us know. LOL!  Keep us posted.

hugs,

Brenda

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Well normally I don't get mad either, but I take a slightly different approach, I put them in my shoes with the ole, I am sure you would feel the same way I do if this happened to you speech.  That always seems to work pretty well.

BUT the good news is I didn't have to.  "Jon" apparently realized how the message sounded and sent me an apology in the interim and offered to make it right.  So all's well that ends well.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Kelly, wouldn't that be funny if "Jon" (or one of his friends!) had been reading these messages on TT!   bear_grin  and hence his about face!  :crackup:
So glad it worked out well for you!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

perhaps Jon was feeling a bit of the pressure of the Season like we all are;)  Good to see you got it sorted out without too much frustration.
    I had some exasperation this week too, with the IDEX hotel, no reply to an enquiry I had and then when I called the girl on the phone 'couldn't understand me' and refused to put me on to someone who *might* be able to understand me.  Not a good omen for staying there!

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

Kelly - I'm glad everything got sorted for you.  I laughed when I read Edie's comment about 'Jon' perhaps reading everyone's comments on TT.

I too had an 'exasperating' incident at work on Friday when I called a large international customer to advise that a delivery would be delayed by 24 hours - excuse me!  Firstly, no-one knew the girl I wanted to speak to (whose name was on the purchase order)  Secondly, after calling back again being told that no, the girl I wished to speak to wasn't in, and no, I couldn't leave a message, and ... no the woman I was speaking to couldn't update the order date to reflect the change. 

Food for thought on the 'other side' of customer service!!!  he! he!

Marg  bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_original  I bet he was sweating bullets after he realized how rude his email could be.  Guys in emails have to be taken with a grain of salt.  If they can be tactless without even realizing it...they will be!   bear_rolleyes   So glad he's come round of his own accord and apologied.   :clap:

Board footer