Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Hi TTers, I've been AWOL for a while but I haven't forgotten ya. I've just been busy and away from beardom! I had a bear who was pattern pieces for like 4 months, untouched - unthinkable! I didn't even have any critters to sell for Christmas. But now I've gotten clear of much of the other stuff I was doing - and it is good to be diving back into my mohair stash. I've been spinning and dyeing a lot of fleece in the last few months, mostly alpaca, and knitting hats and selling some through a local store. I love playing with fiber! Many of my bears now sport sweaters, lol - lots easier to make a bear sized one than a people-sized one.

Big news is we've bought our first house and are working on the inside through the winter. It is wonderful: 5.9 acres, with a pond. On a dead end road, surrounded by protected wildlife management land that is full of trails. It is from early or mid 1800s and had been in the same family since the 1920s. It is an improvement on our current location because it is only 3 miles from the middle of town and things like grocery, hardware store, PIZZA, and chinese food! We've been living a good 20 mins from that kind of stuff, so we are looking forward to feeling much less remote, in a larger but still small town. Also there is cable and high speed internet available there and we get cell reception. The funny thing is we'll be closer to Boston - didn't expect THAT to happen!

Here it is when we went to look at it in November:
1717066461_77d7f0b029.jpg

None of the interior walls are load-bearing, so we are taking the opportunity to rearrange it inside. So we've been pulling down ceilings and walls and pulling up layers and layers of floor. It has never had central heat so we are getting that put in. We're pretty much taking it down to bones and starting fresh. That way we'll know there isn't any scary old wiring etc hiding away, and everything can be as we choose (within modest budget anyhow!) Andy's Dad is brilliant at 'house stuff' and is managing lots of it, he likes to revitalize old houses but keeps their character and integrity. We are learning so much. Our rental lease is not up til June so we can work on it and still come home to a bit less chaos!

Dear old stove:
2141928543_a8d766c77c.jpg

Apple tree and pond:
2208086410_0b1aba1164.jpg

Good old hand hewn beams in the attic:
1801032333_960f951c8b.jpg

Nice light inside:
2142717786_8f8effbb9c.jpg

now we've done this to it:
2224178241_daed7a9e91.jpg

So yeah. we've been busy lol - and will continue to be! Come springtime we will be knocking this down:
1717066519_b68762de9e.jpg

A barn wants to be built (and Dad is keen to try post and beam construction) and we have to fence in some pasture and dog yard, etc. etc. etc. lol
But it's pretty awesome getting to know the place inside and out! We are so happy.

AND it's good to be back - I am looking forward to catching up and seeing what everyone is doing!!

take care,
-Kim

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

It is great to see you back and full of enthusiam.  Your new house looks brilliant and so full of character.  I just love that old stove - do you think it would work OK?  Would love to keep seeing pictures as you progress with your ideas.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow Kim, for a start...thank goodness

Hi guys! I'm not dead!

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Well that one caught my eye!

What a busy time you have had and look to be having for some time to come. Your new house looks great and with all the TLC that you are giving it I think you will have a fantastic home to be proud of. Please share more pictures with us as you develope your wonderful new home. It would be great to see it as it comes along.
Congratulations Kim.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

How exciting, Kim ! ! !  What a charming home and a pond to boot.  It looks beautiful with the snow.  I'd love to see pictures of your progress too.   :photo:   Look forward to seeing more of your incredible bears too.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

How cool!!!  I think I'm a bit jealous.  Two things that really caught me - the attic and the dear old stove.  Even though there's a lot of work, you will have fun doing it I'm sure.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

this is interesting i was just wondering lately where you  had gotten to! i can appreciate the house stuff,,we have done two and swear we will never do another..but then i see a beautiful old home and i think....maybe!  altho my husbands health issnt really up to it now,,but we do love discovering  the great old home underneath..its an illness sometimes!! your new place looks amazing and im quite jealous you have a pond! the one thing we've always lacked! we have a barn i havent had the heart to tear down,,but its beyond our means to salvage..hoping that the next owner will have the money and the energy we no longer have!  bear_grin glad to hear youre back weve missed your beautiful creations!  deb

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Kim,   the house looks great, I can see why you have been preoccupied!    The house look so stately and that old stove!    Just wonderful.    Were glad you are back and look forward to more updates on the house and your new bears!

Duff

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

That is a totally fabulous house!!!  I love older homes as even though they are a lot of work, they possess so much character.  I mean, even the interior doors are just beautiful.  Please keep sharing photos as you go along.  Just lovely!

P.S.  Don't work too hard though - take some time to play!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Kim: What a wonderful house!! You are so lucky to find it and on such great land. Keep posting pictures of the progress....

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

What a grand old home! What fun!!!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I was thinking the other day that we hadn't seen you for a while! FABULOUS house...
DH & I would be fighting it out for the attic as studio space! (He's a musician working on his first CD)
Keep us updated on your progress bear_thumb
Cheryl bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Your new house looks great!
So much space....

I guess you are over the moon.
I love the stove and the attic.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Wow Kim what a fantastic home and I love the old stove, please keep us updated with pic as you progress. It is good to see you back

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great to have you back, Kim!  No wonder you've been away . . . I would have, too, if I'd had that treasure of a house to work on.  I'll trade homes with you (after you've finished the restoration).   bear_grin  bear_rolleyes  You get to keep the stove and all the furniture in the attic?  That is terrific . . . love that little highchair and, of course, the stove.  Please do keep us updated with your progress.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

That is a Stunning property & house, Mz Kim!

With your active imagination, all of the wildlife inspiration will be just a glance away outside the wonderful number of windows (that no doubt need replacing w/more energy efficient ones!)
We too have rehabbed houses and grew up with parents that did it continuously.

It sure is inspiring to look at an empty house - with a HISTORY - and dream of all of the Possibilities. Jealous & happy for you!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:dance:  How exciting!!!!  I adore old homes, and can practically smell that old farmhouse smell and the crackle of the flooring underfoot  bear_wub

I'd love seeing pics as you continue the restoration  :photo:   And even more exciting that you have acreage and a barn....a bit of fencing and some ponies to come live with you too?   bear_laugh

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

Thanks guys! I've definitely missed it here! I will have to shoot some bear pics in the next few days and catch up.

In a couple years I will have a handful of alpaca geldings as fiber-producing pets. There is a horse farm across the road so I can get my pony fix without paying to feed one, lol (and the husband sighs with great relief!) Oh also I have a friend who will be bringing me these little girls in the springtime:

2048691056_84d2143a51.jpg

Don't they look NAUGHTY???

As for the house....the stove will work as soon as we take the kerosene-burning adaptors out of it. We've found a bunch of small treasures; a lady's glove and a shoe heel stuck up in the ceiling by the old chimney; a 1948 calendar inside one of the walls, a mercury dime under the fridge, etc. In the springtime, the metal detector will come out bear_grin Honestly what I am most excited about is workspace and storage space. I have a cluttered corner of the living room, it is a mess and I keep losing stuff. I can't wait to have shelves and flat surfaces....*dreamy sigh* Oh, and DOORS. Our current place is very open-concept. But the only interior doors are to the bathroom and the utility room. Sometimes you need more than that...Mr Toadbriar plays banjo  bear_whistle  :crackup:

We are VERY lucky! We figured it is a good chance to stay in this area and near family, and while it is a lot of work, it is a matchless opportunity to learn in the best way possible. Also we figured, if not now, then when? Better now when we're young and foolish lol

thanks again guys  bear_grin

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Such a beautiful home Kim and best of luck getting it to how you would like it.

Old homes have so much charm and character.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

KIm thats the very best time to do it! old houses burrow into your heart and set down ROOTS!  i remember when i bought this place//it would have scared most people to death..i was so in love wih it i just kept coming here rain or snow and walking around daydreaming about what it would look like..it had been empty and tied up in probate for 2 yrs..in  the meantime people who thought the old guy had money hidden away came in a just trashed the place,,it was awful. enjoy every minute of making it yours! deb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh   Those three will be keeping you on your toes!!   bear_wub   Oooh, and alpacas too  bear_wub   How lovely!!!

Board footer