Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

I've been trying to do the leather nose technique in Nancy Tilberg's book, only without using leather. So far, no matter how thick the cotton I use, it doesn't lay correctly. Has anybody else tried to do this? Can you recommend other fabrics to try?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There is a heavy weight ultrasuede that might be a good subsitute for leather.  How ya been, Amul?

Chicago, IL
Website

Hey there Sue,

I've had the death-flu for the last week, and am finally crawling out of bed. Other than that, I've been focusing on my photography business. Oh, and trying to get back into the dating world.

You'd think that girls would be interested in a guy who makes teddy bears and does art for a living. Somehow, I can't seem to get a date though. I guess I'm out of practice.

Also, I have a stack of books I haven't found time to read. I just measured it, and it's literally four feet high. It's all in a big pile next to my bed. Pretty soon, it's going to stick out above my footboard. *sigh*

How about you? What's been going on in your life?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Eww . . . flu sounds baaaad.  Glad you're feeling better, though.  I've got a single daughter who appreciates artsy guys - but I think she's way older than you and she lives in Wisconsin.  Good luck in finding a fun, interesting someone to date.  Ha!  Your book stack resembles one my husband has on the night stand in the bedroom.  He only has time to read at night before going to bed and the books keep piling up.  I knock them over most every time I make up the bed.   bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  Me . . . I just slog along doing my usual stuff.  Take care.

Chicago, IL
Website

I think that would be pretty awkward.   bear_grin

"So, you make teddy bears with my mom, huh?"
"Well, sort of, but don't think I'm obsessed with them or anything. I photograph naked chicks for a living."

I just can't see that conversation going well  bear_rolleyes

Unless you started popping kids out when you were 10, I can't imagine how your youngest daughter could be older than me. I'm 32.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Hi Amul good to hear from you again, you must add good sense of humour to your dating advert! 

Sorry I'm having problem with normal thread noses let alone fabric ones!

Take care, Ali x

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Unless you started popping kids out when you were 10, I can't imagine how your youngest daughter could be older than me. I'm 32

You are most kind, sir, but she's 41 and I'm 66 - 67 next week.   bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Chicago, IL
Website

Oooh, Happy Birthday SueAnn!

Ali - Actually, I'm switching to fabric noses BECAUSE I have so much trouble with the embroidery ones. I know how to stitch a line!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
First off, have you tried your hand at needle felting noses?  There are several here on TT that are having success with that form of nose.
I have three different leather noses that I do.  I will try to talk you through them.  You can use either leather,  ultrasuede or wool felt.
This first one you get a good square-ish nose.  I use it for my yorkies.  Cut a piece of leather 1 1/2" x 1".  You can use that scale to make them larger or smaller.  On the two ends that are the 1" length cut a straight line in about 1/4" -1/2" at the center of the 1" side.  So measure up or down 1/2" and make your slit cut into the leather.  You will then fold the top slit down over the bottom slit and either glue or stitch this into place.  Do this on both ends of the leather rectangle.  If you want to do some rounding off of the square points where you have glued the slits together that is fine.  Then stitch this onto the muzzle of your bear.  I usually put some stuffing into the leather nose as I am stitching it to the nose area.  You will have an area that looks like nostrils where you put the slits together.  If you want to highlight this take a few sculpting stitches.

Second nose:  Cut a piece of pie shape, a triangle with a curved edge.  Bring the two straight sides together and stitch together or glue, you now have a cone shape.  Bring the point of the cone down over the seam you have sewn and tack it in place right at the edge of the cone.  This makes a nice realistic nose.  Stuff the nose as you stitch the curved edge onto the muzzle. 

Third nose:  Cut a nice u shaped nose.  Flat across the top with a nice deep curve.  At the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions you will stitch or glue a dart.  Stitch this to the bear with a little stuffing where the darts are.  You can do some sculpting at the dart area if you want to highlight nostrils.

Try these using paper towels first so that you see how they are going to work.  I think you will find them easy to do and look nice.
Let me know if I need to take some pictures for you.
Good Luck,
Donna

Chicago, IL
Website

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you show me pictures of bears you have made using these different nose types?

The thing that I particularly liked about the style in Tilberg's book is the nostril-effect. I guess what I'm really having trouble with is sizing the pattern piece to my bears -- I tend to make very big bears by comparison to most people here (18-36 inches tall, with aspirations to make a 96" tall bear).

I've tried ultra-suede but I guess I need a thick ultrasuede for this to work. I'll have to try wool felt, thanks for that suggestion.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

with aspirations to make a 96" tall bear

Amul...... she could be your date!! :crackup:

Why don't you try using leather just as Nancy does in her book while you practice?
Then once you have the method down experiment with other fabrics.

Chicago, IL
Website

Sorry Daphne, but I have a strict rule about dating poly-fill stuffed animals who are taller than me.

I mean, a guy's gotta have his standards.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Amul,
Would the velvet upholstery fabric that has the white square fabric on the back have enough body to it for your nose.  Also imitation leather.  Are you wanting to avoid real leather?
Donna

Chicago, IL
Website

Donna,

Yes, I want to avoid real leather. I'm an amateur, who makes bears as gifts for my friends, and the bear I'm currently working on is for the daughter of a friend who is very into animal rights. In order to respect her political beliefs, I want to make this bear using only synthetic fibers, but as a hobbyist, I want to try this new technique. Therein lies my dilemma.

I'm not sure what sort of upholstery fabric you're talking about. I'll have to check that section of the fabric store. I rarely work with upholstery fabrics.

Board footer