Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

BearExpressions Posts: 5

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am amazed at the talent - I am only a new bear maker - not an artist.  i was wondering if anyone knows what fur they use to create those settler bears?  It is very soft but does not seem like mohair - i wanted to make some bears for my children and would like to use this lovely soft fur.  Thanks.

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

Hello,

Don't worry, I'm not a pro bear person, either! There are lots of us on the forum, but the pros have the advantage of getting paid to hang out on TT, so they can answer questions faster.

Could you include a link to an image or site showing the bear you're talking about?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Here's a link to their site http://www.settlerbears.com.au/sb208-7-2.htm  I can't tell what kind of fur they're made from though. Sorry I'm not much help. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of teddy bears and Teddy Talk!!  :bday:  :hug:  I think all of us started as teddy bear collectors, then makers, then artists.   bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

amul wrote:

Hello,

Don't worry, I'm not a pro bear person, either! There are lots of us on the forum, but the pros have the advantage of getting paid to hang out on TT, so they can answer questions faster.
Could you include a link to an image or site showing the bear you're talking about?

Sorry, Amul, but I've gotta set the record straight.  Absolutely nobody on this forum is "paid to hang out on TT".  The administrative people and Help Advisors are all volunteer participants who want to provide a place where anybody interested in teddy bears and the industry that surrounds them can come to interact in a friendly, safe, and informative way.  Those members who have been in the industry for a long period of time will, naturally, have gleaned a lot of information and experience over the years.  They very generously share that with all who want to learn, whether they be members of this forum or lurkers.  So, I just wanted to correct that little detail in case anyone else might think there is a financial reward for being a part of this board.  NOT. 

BearExpressions:  I won't be of much help, but I do have a Settler bear and her tag says the material is an acrylic polyester.  What kind of fabric that translates to, I've not a clue - but there are many faux furs that are truly soft and plush so I've no doubt that you will come up with something comparable.  Good luck and welcome to Teddy Talk.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

They are definitely made from Synthetic fabric- I dont think Intercal carries synthetics, but Beary Cheap does. You might find something on their site that is similar.

Thank you for your help, i thought it might have been that mock mohair but i looked at the comments on a previous entry about that - thank heavens i didn't buy it!!  I will look at Beary Cheap.  Thanks.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Thanks Sue Ann, I was just about to post the same thing.....

Welcome  Bear Expressions,

Glad to have you here.....there is a wealth of info in the Library....so be sure to check it out.....

We always have room here for more folks wanting to make teddies....and friends

dilu

However, there is an advantage, the rewards may not be monetary but the friendships are priceless

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Bear Expressions: You might check out Beary Cheaps Kohair.

Do keep in mind that most all plush animal companies... Gund, Boyds, Settler... they all have their plush materials made just for them, they aren't materials available to the public. These companies usually design the material then find a manufacturer in China, etc. to make it for them. This is, in part, what makes their product unique from anyone elses.

Thankyou Dilu and Daphne, I didn't realise that companies had their own made!  I have just purchased some kohair from beary cheap so we'll see what I can come up with.   :hug:

amul Amul Kumar Photography
Chicago, IL
Website

Sorry, Amul, but I've gotta set the record straight.  Absolutely nobody on this forum is "paid to hang out on TT".

Hrm. Bad wording choice on my part. I didn't mean to imply you were getting paid by TT to monitor the forums, I meant that bear-making was your professional occupation, and therefore a part of your "job description" as self-employed bear makers is to hang out with other bear-makers and talk shop. As opposed to those poor sods of us who work for others to earn our bills, who get the hairy eyeball when their employers catch them looking at forums during the work hours.

It was meant as a joke, since I'm self-employed in a different field, and  MY boss gets grumpy when I'm not concentrating on the job at hand.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ah - okay - no problem.  Thanks for setting ME straight.

Board footer