Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have an opportunity to purchase a Canon EOS 20D with a 28-80 mm lens for $450 cdn. I've never owned an SLR camera. Would this do the trick for me or would it be too confusing. I presently use a Sony Cybershot 4.1.  I've also signed up for Nancy's photography course :)

Marion

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Marion
The Canon EOS 20D  is a great camera, as are all Canon cameras.
Your Sony Cybershot is also a great camera (on par with Canon).
SLR's require some technical skills, so a photography class is a good idea.
If you decide to go for the SLR, I suggest you keep your Sony as your second camera. 
I hope this helps.
Laura bear_flower

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Marion,

My husband has this camera and loves it! It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. It has fully automatic features as well as manual settings. The price is good if it hasn't been used too much.

~Debora

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I have the Canon EOS Rebal SLR and I love it! It is not that hard to use if you have ever used a 35mm!

Brockville, Ontario

thanks ladies. I think I'll do some more research. Probably a Canon point and shoot that has at least 8 mp will do me better. I don' know if I'm up to the SLR learning curve.

Marion

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Marion,

I just bought a new camera a couple months ago and I love it.  It's the Canon Powershot S5 IS.  It's a Advanced Point & Shoot....just a step below an SLR but a bit more advanced than a regular P&S.   So far it's been really easy to learn to use...and I'm not that savvy in the photography arena.  I purchased mine here...got it in a few days and have been quite happy with it and customer service as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 … gital.html

Good luck with your camera shopping.  It's overwhelming isn't it?

Shantell

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

My Hubs has the Canon EOS 20D with a 28-105mm lens on it. I've pretty much stollen it from him!  bear_grin  I love it! It has way too much on it for me though! But does a great job. I also have the Sony Cybershot and that thing gets my blood pressure up!

I've investigated the camera Shantell just got and think it's likely the perfect one for just about everything for the average picture taker from every day stuff to bear photos. When I have the money to spend I'm going to get one!
bear_thumb

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I have a Sony Cybershot 7.2 that Allyn bought me a few years back. I've also been wondering if a different camera would help with photographing my bears so I, too, am interested in what everyone has to say.

Brockville, Ontario

Shantell...thanks for your timely response. I had seen the Canon S5 at Walmart yesterday and think that is probably my speed. So nice to see others are happy with it. I just got a bid for my bear on B4B so I think I may pre-spend the $ tonight and treat myself. My granddaughter is visiting for a few days so I have a perfect subject to test it on :)

Marion

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Marion I am in need of a new camera asap too , mine died ! 

I was looking at the Canon S5 too or something similar.  I see online that future shop has an Olympus  with the same or more features on sale , $249  regular $349,  until tomorrow.  It has macro   , white balance features, 18x optical zoom, image stabilization etc. all the things needed for bears and more.  I may got check it out tonight.   The price is too good to pass up. Has anyone had any bad luck with Olympus cameras ??? 

here's the link if interested :
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … &langid=EN

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I have 3 digital cameras and they are all Canons - LOVE THEM!!!!
I bought the second one as my first one was just a 2 megapixel (back when even they were over $500!). The second one is a 4 mega pixel, 4X zoom, Canon power shot A430 which cost me about $150. The newer version of it is 5 megapixels and likely under $100 now. It is my favourite camera for taking photos of mini bears and SO simple to use. Recently I bought a Canon power shot SX 100 IS that is 8 megapixels and 10X zoom for $279 (and a couple months later I've seen it several places for $249) as I wanted more zoom for taking photos of wildlife around here - I still mostly use my previous camera for my tiny bears but I think this SX100 is a great camera for the price.
I'm not familiar with the Canon S5 IS.

I see online that future shop has an Olympus  with the same or more features on sale , $249  regular $349,  until tomorrow.  It has macro, white balance features, 18x optical zoom

I'm amazed that you can get a camera with 18X zoom for only $249 - the main reason I bought my latest camera was because it was about the ONLY Canon I ever saw with that much zoom without paying a LOT more money! Maybe I should have looked at other brands - but then again I have just been so happy with all my Canons (which all still work fine!) that I would hate to switch brands!
Before I got my first digital camera I used an old totally manual Pentax 35 mm camera for all my bear photos but I really think I am getting better results with my point and shoot digitals now! I may someday get a digital SLR but can't really see the point right now as these cameras that I have seem to be able to do everything that I want and more with so much more simplicity!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Tammy, I have an older Olympus . . . a Camedia C-5000, 3X zoom, and 5.0 mp.  I've not had any trouble with it and still haven't used all of the features, although I've had it for several years.  Bought it online and it was a reconditioned one, so got it at a reasonable price.   I'm ready for an upgrade pretty soon, however.  The one you've found sounds like a great deal.

Brockville, Ontario

I went ahead and bought the Canon S 5. I've spent the evening going thru the manuals and my head is spinning. This camera is much more advanced than I realized. I really love the way the display can twist and turn = if you want to take a pic of yourself you can see the display at the same time - not that I want to take a pic of myself but....  That photography course is really necessary now!

Marion

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Don't worry Marion, the books overwhelm me too!  I just take one feature at at time, play with it until I feel comfortable with it or at least that I sort of know what I'm doing and then move onto something else I want to learn.  I think it will take forever and a day to learn everything.   There is a cheat sheet available for the S5 IS but I haven't purchased it YET. 

I mean...it does say..."Advanced" Point & Shoot.   :crackup:   :crackup:   There is the Canon G8 which is one step higher but still not an SLR for anyone interested.  :)

Happy  :photo:  taking!!!

Brockville, Ontario

did not realize there was a cheat sheet - just bought it off eBay.
thanks Shantell!

Marion

Board footer