Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

BearHugger Lichfield, Staffs, England

Hi everyone  bear_original

I'm hoping to dye some mohair using koolaid soon, but wanted to know will it dye the backing? I'm wanting to dye some white/cream/grey mohair a nice bright blue colour  bear_grin

vikki  bear_original

ivuska.h Anavy teddy bears

Hi, I think it won't. Because it's a dye that functions only on protein based fibre and cotton (the backing) is not a protein based fibre.

Iva

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

This is from an article in the Canadian Teddy Bear News that I printed "Drink mixes contain coloring which sets well on the natural and cotton backing of mohair when using a mordant such as vinegar or salt. The vinegar is used with materials that are protein based such as mohair or silk. Salt is used with cotton based materials, such as the cotton backing of mohair. Salt and vinegar fix the dye into the material and are required ingredient along with the drink mix package." It goes on to suggest 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of salt to a package of drink mix. So apparently if you just want to dye the fur -only add vinegar or only the backing add just salt. I used both and got some wonderful colors!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Vikki, look in our library, right above your post, under dyes and colorants . . . lots of Koolaid info there.

BearHugger Lichfield, Staffs, England
Nancy D wrote:

This is from an article in the Canadian Teddy Bear News that I printed "Drink mixes contain coloring which sets well on the natural and cotton backing of mohair when using a mordant such as vinegar or salt. The vinegar is used with materials that are protein based such as mohair or silk. Salt is used with cotton based materials, such as the cotton backing of mohair. Salt and vinegar fix the dye into the material and are required ingredient along with the drink mix package." It goes on to suggest 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of vinegar and 2 tablespoons of salt to a package of drink mix. So apparently if you just want to dye the fur -only add vinegar or only the backing add just salt. I used both and got some wonderful colors!

thanks Nancy. So if I use salt it will dye the backing YAY  bear_grin

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

It may color the backing slightly, but it won't be the same shade as the fur (much brighter). At least mine has never turned out this way. I have also quickly dyed the fur in Rit dye (as in 1 minute and rinse) and then put it in the koolaid and have gottem some pretty good results. The amount of koolaid in the pan of water makes a difference also. Sometimes I use only small shake in a large pot of water. The good thing about this way is if it is too light then you can dye it again with some more koolaid.

Board footer