Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

chickie1.jpgHello,
I have been working on a needle felting project. It is a little "hip" chick. This is a pick from when I began working on her. I have her face completed excepct for her "eyelashes." Any ideas? Should I paint them on? Is it hard to paint on the wool?
Thanks

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'd probably felt them on..... pieces of black mohair or whisps of black wool.

Are you felting her eyes, drawing them or will they be glass? I guess that might make a difference.... if you draw her eyes then drawn eyelashes would be appropriate. Otherwise I'd go for fiber ones.  bear_thumb

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Thanks Daphne! Great idea. Yes, the eyes are glass with the white of the eye and the outline is black is felt.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

If you have some black mohair that is long enough you might be able to cut a thin strip of it (still on the backing) and glue it down under the black felt outline. Just a thought. Might be too fiddly (tweezers are so helpful for little picky work like that!) or you may not want to use glue.

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

For my bear faces I use a couple strands of fiber for the mouth and nose area. Amazing the detail you can achieve with just a few strands of wool. Just a couple strands will highlight cheeks. I would use wool instead of paint if possible.

Zada Creations Zada Creations
Washington

Roxanne,

I use wool for my eyelashes.  However, several years ago I use to use false eyelashes - the ones you can buy in the make up section of the store.  This might go nicely with your glass eyes.  I have a photo somewhere I took a long time ago to show how to make them look nice I'll see if I can find it in my computer.

(Hugs),
~Patricia

Zada Creations Zada Creations
Washington

Hi Roxanne,

I found the photo, now lets see if I can get it to post to the board.  What I did was sew the eyelashes on with thread so I knew they were really secure.  Then use straight pins to seperate the eyelashes nicely and place an itty bitty drop of clear glue in each seperation.  This is tricky though because you have to be careful not to glue the straight pins into the eyes, lol.  Not a good look - they look kinda scarey with straight pins stuck in their eyes, lol. 

Sophie_Eyelashes.jpg

Good luck on your project, your duck is going to be beautiful I'm sure!

(Hugs),
~Patricia

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH WOW Patricia, how wonderfully clever of you. I can see the results are going tobe well worth  the time and effort put into it.  What wonderful eyes.
Wendy

JulietK julietk
London

I have bought some cosmetic eyelashes with intent to use them in this way. As up until now i have used embriodery to do eyelashes, it comes out well  but i think the 3d effect of usng cosmetic eyelashes is fab.

Puzzle Outer Eastern Melbourne
Website

Are you going to make eyelids for her? Even very, thin felt eyelids on a piece like this can help stop an eye looking to stare-y. Then you can felt some wisps of your fibre onto the eyelids ro, if you want really thick, bold looking ones (you said she was a hip-chick, *giggle*) try getting some wisps and rolling them between your hands to felt some small, thick fibre rolls. Two of these at the far ocrners of the eyes might work.

And that probably sounded as clear as mud bear_wacko

Board footer