Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I'm in the market for a new sewing machine, just curious what everyone here uses, brands etc, likes or dislikes.
I have a budget around $325............ I know that won't buy a ton of bells and whistles....but should buy a pretty good machine...................... bear_wacko

UPDATE:

Thanks girls for all the info, I purchased a Viking maching today, was on sale so was still in my budget! I'm so excited to try it out....except it is to heavy to carry upstairs.....  bear_angry
Hubby will have to bring it up when he gets off work late tonight!  bear_tongue

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use a Janome 1600p...no bells and whistles but goes like the clappers and is a real work-horse. It cost a bit more than your target price though, but was worth the extra Before that I used an old 70s Newhome...which still works really well...I just wanted something that I could easily get bits for, that was about £50. I have an old Singer too..which is great as well!! That was given to my by my mothers friend..I keep it for emergencies!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

I have a Bernette 75 - ( Bernina ) and also a lovely old Husquavana that I bought with my very first pay packet.
They both go well.

Best of luck with choosing your new machine Tami.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_flower

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

I purchased my Viking for about that price.  It doesn't have any bells or whistles - it just does the basic stitches.  I've had it for six years now and it runs like a champ and feeds the thickest mohair through without a problem.  Ah Viking...   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Husquavana makes great machines, mine is does embroidery and stuff.. but I never use it anyway.. lol... and I've heard wonderful things about pfaff and bernia. What I did when I bought mine many moons ago.. I took the VERY thickest thing I would ever sew and took that to the store to play with... and the BEST thing I did was talk to the service person in the store.. the guy who fixes the machines.. he/she will be able to give you even more information... they know the best which machine is good.

Good luck on your search!
Hugs,
Melanie

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have a Janome.  Just a plain, basic model.  A man who used to run a sewing store nearby told me that the Janome is the best out there.  He was not trying to sell me anything, so I believed him.  He was a machine repairman, not a salesman.  I bought my machine for $100, but it was not brand new.  So far I've been pleased with it.

FYI  I was informed that Janome is now making machines for Kenmore.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

2 Pfaffs workhorses and embroidery
bernina lovely machine
2 singers; treadle and featherweight; featherweight is wonderful
1970 Riccar-doesn't work yet.

Were I you, I would buy used and that way have a higher grade;  like the highest grade machine from 4 years ago

you can learn alot from watching the sales on e-bay and the googling the machines you see

also there are machine mechanics have written up what they like about different makes...you can google and find them; makes very interesting reading.

Have fun!

hugs

dilu

Board footer