Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Despite my high hopes, my latest auction listing has again ended with no bids. That makes only 3 that have sold out of my last 12 auctions (bid4bears and ebay). I started posting bears on Bear Pile a month ago and after a bit of interest at the beginning (including one lost sale as the lady didn't get my email response to her request for purchase information),  I have had no more response there.  I used to be able to sell every bear that I listed on auction so I am feeling a bit down. I've been wondering off and on for the last few years if it was time to quit but then kept getting re-enthused. I had hoped to keep going for another 6 months to a year before I hang up my hat and retire but it sure is hard to keep enthused  about making my bears when there doesn't seem to be as much interest in them any more. Right now I'm alternating between thinking I should just quit now or  I should make bears and list them with a $1.00 start, no reserve, and then maybe they will sell!  bear_grin
I know I'm not the only one as Sonya was posting on the same topic a few months back and talking of quitting - don't know if she has quit or not as I don't recall seeing any posts by her lately???
I know there is no easy answer but just felt the need to vent!

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Hi Edie!
I think you have to ask yourself why you began making bears in the first place.

This industry has always peaked and troughed, it has always had it's shooting stars...the one's that shine bright for a little while and fade into the darkness...and it has people who love what they are doing whether they make money or not, the plodders who are in it for the long haul. It has bear makers who sit quietly at home sewing just for the enjoyment and who after ten years become an "overnight success".

After almost thirteen years in this wonderful, sometimes irrational, seductive, warm world of teddy bears, I still can't find rhyme or reason in it.
But I know I will never give making teddy bears away till I either go blind, can't use my hands or I have one foot in the grave.

I wish you well in reaching a decision that only you can make.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Well said, Sandi!

It's also summer here in North America.... and in addition to economic concerns people aren't at their computers.... they are outside... on holiday... etc. so this is the absolute worst time to try to sell anything, IMO!

I'm told that Canada tends to really bounce back economically after a new US president takes office.... I don't recall the rationale in that theory but if it's true then you just need to hang in there 6 more months and hopefully things will turn around.... I'm hoping they do too!!!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I think many artists out there feel just like you do Edie at times, and start thinking it is "me" the artist that is a flop.

Around the world money is not the best subject and the whole world is showing signs of distress.This is going happen all the time, things will go up and things will go down.

One has to continue to believe in yourself, and never undersell yourself.

This is a story that maybe one has heard of time after time.

Sipho, who has not had any education starts selling hot dogs on the side of the road. His business is booming and he is making money.
His 3 children who are educated with university degrees visit him and tell him "Dad things are difficult out there, no one has money to spend, everything is expensive. You must increase your prices if you want to stay in business.
Sipho thinks hard about this, and feels that his children must know what they are talking about, as they do have university degrees.
Up goes the prices of his hot dogs, and sales start falling, till eventually Sipho has no alternative but to close his business.

After close of his business, he shakes his head and says, my children were right - business is bad.

Lynette

Hey maybe you should borrow my sign...

When the going gets tough...
...the tough go shopping!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

oh my gosh , it must be tough for me as I am always SHOPPING   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
lynette

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Dear Edie,  I love the process of making bears,  I always sell on ebay.  I have had offers to make custom bears, I refuse.  I work on one bear at a time and I let it go, completely.  I first started with selling them with a start bid of $50.00.  When they were selling okay, I went to $9.99 no reserve.  Sometimes the bear will sell for $100, sometimes for $600.  I just feel happy that someone likes it and wants it in their home.  The last bear I used a reserve of $125.00 I stated the reserve in the add, the bear did not do as well.  I will go back to $9.99 no reserve.  For me it works.  It is a mental thing, to make the bear, let it go, and start fresh on the new one.  What else would I do sitting in front of the tv at night, but sew?
Joanne

puca bears puca bears

Oh Edie -
don't be too down hon.............I haven't ever tried ebay, but from what I see now, an awful lot of bears aren't doing so well. This credit crunch and all the financial doom and gloom seems to be taking it's toll and I guess with mounting energy and food prices, our bears are going to become even more of a luxury.
But your little critters are WAY too  gorgeous to give up on!
huggies
Maria

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awe Edie.  Don;t get discouraged and by all means don't let your lovey bears go cheap.  It's always slow in the summer.  People are spending money on vacations ( bear_whistle ).  It will pick up, so have faith and hang tight my friend. :hug:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I didn't mean to whine and complain - I shouldn't have posted late last night when I was feeling blue having just had another auction with no bids.
Sandi, I will likely keep making bears now and again forever too as I do love it - it is more the marketing of them that I am about ready to quit. However it is also hard to keep making them if you don't have a place for them - I haven't had this much stock built up since the old days when I was able to do shows regularily! That's why I thought maybe I should quit bears as a business and just do the occasional one for my own interest. Or make them and sell starting at a $1 and then I keep making them - but that wouldn't exactly be a business!  :crackup:
Joanne said:

I went to $9.99 no reserve.  Sometimes the bear will sell for $100, sometimes for $600.  I just feel happy that someone likes it and wants it in their home.  The last bear I used a reserve of $125.00 I stated the reserve in the add, the bear did not do as well.  I will go back to $9.99 no reserve.  For me it works.  It is a mental thing, to make the bear, let it go, and start fresh on the new one.

I hear what you are saying, Joanne - and I am trying to let them go  bear_grin if anyone just wanted them! I'd have to be prepared to sell them for $9.99 though if I started them there! I might just give it a try though and see.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Edie,
You might consider starting them even at 29.99 or 49.99
Bidding is a psychological mind game we play with ourselves. You can even research this on the internet and read up on listing tips right on eBay I'm sure! Starting low is usually the way to go....

Here I am giving you advice about eBay selling and I rarely do it myself any more!!! LOL! But I buy.... and I watch auctions and buyer and seller habits as I see what seems to work.... though there are never guarantees.... but you've got to try different pricing/reserve/buy it now strategies for a while until you find what works. And then once it works for a while it won't anymore and you start all over. EBay buyers come and go in waves..... the tide is always changing and I think if you want to suceed there you have to be willing to accept the ups and downs.

I feel for you and I'd hate to see you stop making them for sale......... :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

So sorry to hear things aren't working well on Ebay for you Edie.  My thinking is that if one outlet fails you, best thing to do is create another!  You said you haven't had so much stock since doing shows, well, maybe that's telling you the time is right to find your bears a show to take part in?  Just a thought!

I really believe that we need to stay as versatile as possible with our trading outlets.  Personally, I don't particularly enjoy selling on Ebay, so in the main, I steer well clear of it and work hard to promote my bears in other ways.  I've never used Ebay as the mainstay of my business and never will.

Judi's absolutely right, bear sales are always quieter at this time of year and they usually pick up again in early Autumn.  The summer is a great time for either completing back orders, or if you are free of those commitments, to enjoy the freedom and try out new design techniques and so on - it can be a great time to have fun with your bear crafting ... time to plan for the 2009 competitions maybe?!  It's also a great time to develop your website/blog/magazine promotions etc., or to organise workspace, enjoy the great outdoors, make a little 'you' time, take a course, learn something new ...

... all in all, it's the perfect time to turn a negative into a positive! bear_flower  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Dont worry about it Edie. Who doesnt get discouraged. I personally am thinking of hanging up my needle and thread. I've just become sooooo bored with it. I know eventually I'll snap out of it and will see that 'boredom' isnt what I am really experiencing but try and tell me that now.....sigh........
It's hard to sustain PASSION. If you continue in order to just 'sell' then why bother? Hang up your hat now.  Why not make them for 'you'. And then if you wish....sell them.  Reorganise your mind set and try some new techniques.
And lets face it...if B4Bs isnt having some type of organised group auction thingy going then it really isnt the place for a lone seller. Take a break and try not to stress over it.  It'll all workout well in the end. bear_thumb

All Bear wrote:

My thinking is that if one outlet fails you, best thing to do is create another!  You said you haven't had so much stock since doing shows, well, maybe that's telling you the time is right to find your bears a show to take part in?  Just a thought!

I really believe that we need to stay as versatile as possible with our trading outlets.  Personally, I don't particularly enjoy selling on Ebay, so in the main, I steer well clear of it and work hard to promote my bears in other ways.  I've never used Ebay as the mainstay of my business and never will.

Judi's absolutely right, bear sales are always quieter at this time of year...

I guess I was born an optimist because I see the third point quite differently.

I think your suggestion regarding having so much stock would be a wonderful time to commit to doing a show.

And like you, I only tend to pop onto eBay occasionally...probably have a little fling twice a year at best.

But on the third point...those of you who live in the northern hemisphere seem to forget it's winter down under and in this day and age of the internet your market is WORLDWIDE not just limited to where you live.

I guess sometimes we need to look at the "glass" again to see it's half full, not half empty.

mjbears mjbears
northants

hi ... 1st off dont give up you have such a huge talent , i have struggled with my bears right from the start and still to this day some go some dont ebay is quiet and so is every other site at the moment, it sure does not mean your work is not good enough because it is its brilliant, and with the market the way it is at the moment people have had to slow down so paula is right concentrate on making new designs and website etc and you will then find the market good again fingers crossed i do understand how you feel i have been there so many times and you feel that this is the end of the road..... no it isnt you will find that you make something that  gets you back up again i always do i have been left with loads of bears and think shall i just sell them at silly prices NO you will only be lowering your standard and price of your work.... stick with it you will find light at the end of the tunnel. best wishes melissax

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

One more thing about ebay you may want to consider if you have the stock is an ebay store,  I sell a lot of fabric on ebay, most of it I put into the store and just list one or two items at a time to drive people there.  It costs $15.00 a month, and about 5 cents plus picture fee to list in a store.  You can keep it there forever with no more fees until you sell it.  I also use auctiva which is a free service, it gives you that little scroll of pictures so that everyone can see what you have for sale.  If you sell something that you have in your store, lets say at a show, you can just remove the listing

I know that many people don't like ebay for one reason or another, but for me there is no where else that I can think of where you can get the exposure you get there.

Joanne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Sweet Edie,

First you must not sell yourself short or your bears cheap.

however you must also remember the economy world wide is sinking terribly and many who might have bought bears in the past are trying to figure out gas, food,insurance, housing etc.....The economy world wide is very very tenous.  and not done sinking.

That doesn't mean you should quit, but you may find you have to get more clever than the next beary smart bear maker.

And don't forget, ever, why you do what you do.

And in bad economic times parents are more likely to buy a teddy than a digital computer game.....so, hard as it is for you to have this happen to you, you know, you really do know that know one can make your bears like you do.  And there is always the right new mom for the right bear.....you may have to work a little at finding her.

Hang in there.  Don't give up.  And don't sales traditionally go down in the summer because of summer and all?

Remember whenever the economy goes south it always ends up turning around again, So be prepared.....It could be this Christmas.... who knows.....certainly not the American financial dimwitted gurus, thats painfully obvious!

:hug: dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu makes a very good point re. economics.....
And I've been told that Canada experiences a tremendous economic improvement with the election of a new US president. I don't recall the theory behind that but if it's true then you only need to hold tight another 6 months! And boy, do I hope and pray that event helps us here in the US too! :pray:

Re. eBay and summer.... it does impact our sales... there are buyers out there who won't purchase overseas... and those who probably only log onto the canadian site if you are just listing there... in fact don't many countries have their own eBay sites so if someone from OZ isn't logged into the .com site they won't even see Canadian or US listings will they? I don't know how all that works but it seems like sales slow down every summer on eBay for those of us in the northern hemisphere! I see the same discussion/complaint from eBayers on non-bear forums too!

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Thanks so much everyone for all the support, suggestions, and encouragement, both here and in PM's and emails.  I hope some of it will help others as well who are also struggling at the moment. I'm sure the US economy has a lot to do with it as some have said. Things are actually booming here in Alberta but my market is more the US, with only a few sales here in Canada. I would love to be able to do shows but there just aren't ANY bear shows here anymore. To travel to the closest ones (even those in Eastern Canada) would be several days distance and cost me thousands of dollars so just not feasible!

I'm going to keep working away on bears for now and not worry about them piling up - at least they are all small bears  bear_grin so don't take up much room to store! I am working on some new designs and will try out a few other suggestions I have been given and see what happens down the road. I really feel some of my latest things have been my best work to date so all is not bad if I end up having to keep them anyway and I have a lot of friends who admire my work, even though they are not collectors, so they would likely be delighted to receive them as gifts. There - isn't that a better attitude!  bear_laugh
Thanks again to all of you for your great support!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Edie, a thought has just occurred to me:  Rather than sell 'cheap as chips' on Ebay, have you thought about building a relationship with a couple of good shops either in Canada, or abroad?  If you have the stock available for immediate dispatch, it could be worth emailing some photographs to the shops, offering a bit of a discount for buying several together.  If you can price them appropriately for trade, maybe you'd be able to work something out.

NewelleyBears Newelley.Bears
Harrow, Ontario

Edie,

PLEASE don't give up on us!  As an owner of one of your fine creations (Sleepyhead), I think that your work is sooo unique and easily recognizable as yours.  Your craftsmanship is just remarkable!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Edie. I completely understand your feelings of discouragement. But you should not let this stop or even slow you down.

I absolutely adore your little ones and would give anything to have more. I just love the little ones that I have. Unfortunately with the economy I am forced to slow down my collecting and it is killing me! I watched your little elephant on Ebay and was trying to come up with ways I could sneak her in without Garnet finding out. He is just too smart for that.

We are also feeling the same slow down that you are. The majority of our buyers are in the US and I believe the economy scare is what may be a factor. Oh there will always be those out there who can afford a gazillion dollars for a bear but I truly think it is just a few.

Your little ones are beautifully made (remarkable really) and as cute as can be. Also your prices are ridiculously LOW. So please please please forage on. This situation should not be taken personally for any of us. It is just the times I think.

Hugs Louise

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi Edie
I just read your post and all the really wonderful answers.
The sluggish worldwide economy is hitting everyone, everywhere.  My antique store sells useless luxury items, but nice ones. bear_grin
When the economy is good, people spend.  Right now, they aren't.  My shop is barely hanging on, but I know things will turn around. 
It's the same in all luxury sales, including bears.
Like everyone has said...Hang in there.  Your bears are wonderful!  I'm a real optimist, I know things will soon turn themselves around.  We can then all sigh in happy unison.
Keep the faith!!!
Laura   bear_flower

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I found that some much needed SUN has helped boost my mood.  bear_thumb  Its full steam ahead now :dance:
I hope things are improving for you Edie? :hug:  :dance:  :dance:

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I hope things are improving for you Edie?

Well, actually, Wendy, they are! bear_grin (and it sounds like they are for you too - great!) I just sold my first critter off Bear Pile - the same elephant that didn't sell on ebay and started this whole thread!

It has been wonderful to hear everyone's comments - and particularily the comments from those who own one of my bears, like Louise and Jeremy - thanks guys!

I'm going to try really hard to not take things personally and just go with the flow! It's just that I've been making bears for so long and sometimes wonder if there is anyone left who doesn't already have enough of my bears! More reason to keep trying to come up with something new and unique I guess! I'm currently working on some new designs - inspired by Paula's panda challenge and am enjoying the process so much! I hope to have something to post on the challenge site very soon.
You guys are the best!

Board footer