Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

teddylover teddylover
joburg

I really want to get started by creating my own teddy patterns as I feel I'm ready to do so. I just want to know if anybody can give me hints on how to start and how I can get the results I want from my own pattern.

bear_happy

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Jennifer Laing has some wonderful books for teddy bears,  "Teddy Bear Art " is a great book and she does get into designing your own patterns as well.  If you Google Teddy Bear Art you should be able to find the book anywhere, amazon may have it or other teddy bear site.  Any of her books are great ones to have.

good luck 

Shane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Teddy Bear Art is a wonderful book for designing patterns.  Another really great one is A Bear Of My Own  by Rotraud Ilisch.  You may just want to try Amazon and see if you can get them there
Joanne

Lynn Wisconsin

There is also a Teddy Bear Design class at www.ebearz.com that is very good.

Lynn

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Ted Mentons book is a great teaching aid also....I class it as my bible...

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

If you are serious then I suggest taking the Ebearz suggestion seriously. It is a great place to learn. Well worth the initial cost. And then purchase all the books that have been mentioned as well.
Bear making is a continual learning experience. ...don't forget to check out the 'library' here on TT.(it's above your post) it will be full of pattern making advice.
All the best...and don't forget to have fun :dance:  :dance:
Wendy

Natascha LeftyBears by Natascha Sabo
Remchingen

I have a degree in fashion-design and I find that the things I learned there in creating patterns  are very helpful for bear patterns as well.
So, if you have a school for fashion-designers near the place you live, ask if the offer evening- oder holiday classes in pattern drafting.  Most probably they won't teach you anything about teddy bears, but the techniques you're using to deisgn a pattern for a skirt or a blouse are the same that you use for bears.

Or..... just start drawing. If your first bear made with your own pattern doens't look the way you want it to look, don't give up, try again, play with proportions and details until you've got "your" bear.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Denise wrote: Ted Mentons book is a great teaching aid also....I class it as my bible...

I love the Ted Menten book. It is called Ted Menten Teddy Bear Studio: A Step-by -step Guide To Creating Your Own One-of-a-kind Artist Teddy Bears. You can find it on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Menten-Teddy-Stud … 180&sr=1-2

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Also check eBay, under Dolls & Bears: Bear Making Supplies, and Books: Non-Fiction.
There's some good books being auctioned right now, esp under Dolls & Bears: Bear Making Supplies.  There's a group of 5 in one auction.  If I didn't have them all, I'd be bidding!
        bear_flower

Board footer