Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

Teddy Talk is predominately teddy bear artists reading and taking part in discussions, about almost anything.  I've tried to create an alternative to the "big" auction and I'm not sure if there really is one.   Many people have posted comments on my "auction" post on the Cardiff auction and most have been positive comments.  A lot have stated that they would like to try such a venture or they think it's a good idea.  I can tell those folks it will not be an easy process to make a trasition for the collectors.  Bucking the "big" auction guys is like starting a mom and pop grocery store next to Wally World.  Please post any comments about the idea using private website auctions.  Thanks - Ed

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

HI Ed

I just went and had a look and I think the idea has merit but I was just wondering how you would accept payment from overseas buyers........say like myslef from Australia as I noted that you would not "request or accept" credit card information.  Also how would you verify is as bidders as we could provide any street address.

I can an enormous amount of work if any overseas person wants to bid........I found your site lovely and the idea interesting but the information seemed to imply that I woudl not be weloome to bid.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think theoretically it could work....my own thoughts have drifted this way on occasions wondering how it could work. The problem I see is that, unlike with eBay where there is a wide audience it would basically take place between our own collectors and therefore could be limited in it's effectiveness. I think the prospect of sealed bid auctions could definitely work but how is another question because somehow the structure of ebay appeals to buyers...there is some safety within their 'walls' even though we know it's open to abuse. I think it's something which could work ...if it was well publicised ..but I do think the detail needs to be exactly right. As they say, 'The devil is in the detail'!!

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.
bearhug07 wrote:

HI Ed

I just went and had a look and I think the idea has merit but I was just wondering how you would accept payment from overseas buyers........say like myslef from Australia as I noted that you would not "request or accept" credit card information.  Also how would you verify is as bidders as we could provide any street address.

I can an enormous amount of work if any overseas person wants to bid........I found your site lovely and the idea interesting but the information seemed to imply that I woudl not be weloome to bid.

Jenny posted above, and she got it exactly right - "the devil is in the details".  I think it would take advertising big time to have collectors looking for private website auctions.  I agree that Ebay holds all the cards but I get the feeling that they don't want bear or doll artist business.  Otherwise, why do they keep making it more difficult.

When I said credit card information "required or requested" I was referring to registering their user name.  Ebay is now, on the otherhand, requiring credit card and bank information for new users and will only be allowing payment for auctions with online payments.  I do sell overseas and would accept credit cards from any country where the buyer can actually get the product.  Right now, there are at least 7 countries where I cannot ship mohair bears etc., but I welcome any bidder or customer to participate. 

Thanks for replying (you too Jenny)........

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I would imagine this would only work if you had an enormous mailing list to bring collectors in to check it out. I agree that ebay is not a friendly place but have had only good things happen at Nancy's Bid4bears site. The more of us that use it - the better it will be.

Marion

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

it's a terrific idea and I was hoping you were going to report a resounding success, but frankly, I don't think most of us have the traffic at our website - or the cliental - to be able to run a private auction.  I didn't turn to ebay thinking I was going to strike it rich or make a killing, I did it because I had to pay the rent and seriously needed to expand my collector base.

my auctions have done ok, not spectacular, and sold for about what I would have priced them at my website (tho Wally was a very good deal)and I have to say that while I've only done 2 successful auctions to date, I've sold 3 other pieces as a direct result of my ebay listings, all to completely new clients.  so while I hate ebays silly rules & fees, I guess I'll be using them until something better comes along.

and I'm with Jenny on the whole ebay structure thing.  I understand it.  personally, I love shopping on ebay and rarely purchase anything elsewhere if I can buy it on ebay (my other account has over 1800 transactions, both buying & selling).  I love the idea that I'm either getting a bergain - or that my item is so valuable that everyone else wants it, plus that little thrill of the winning the bid.  I'd miss that in a private auction, and it would be hard to start a bidding war if no one else could see what the next bid is.  I also think maybe part of the lack of response to your  auction might be reluctance to insult you by bidding really low - or the thought that they might be overpaying by not seeing the next lowest bid.

after ebay, TT itself is the best exposure I've had in years - 'cept maybe for that magazine cover ;-)  :dance:

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

Kelly, I think you hit most of the points in the last paragraph.  I think that collectors like the challenge of the bid.  I am always amazed at the amount of the winning bids, both the highs and lows.  With regard to the other two auction sites, I've tried them with little success.  So, I've done
exactly what I was trying to get away from and listed the Cardiff bear on Ebay starting later this afternoon.  I missed my regular Sunday afternoon listing time so I've used the 5 day so it still ends on Sunday afternoon. 

I've really appreciated the responses and I think most have been pretty much on-point.  Thanks - Ed

Board footer