Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

I know a lot of us list auctions on Sundays, and ebay's "No checks/No money order" enforcement is going to start on the 15th, so if you're listing today be sure to change your wording as saying you accept checks or money orders can get your listing pulled.  Apparently you CAN accept them IF the buyer asks you about it first, but you can't explicitly say in the ad that you take them.  ??? bear_wacko

I'm confused about what exactly we CAN say, such as "I accept paypal, if you would like to pay via another method please contact me"...I'm not sure if that is ok, or if that's a no no...I think I'll just say "we take paypal" for this week as I'm not sure what to do.  bear_shocked

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I wonder if you could say "if you cannot pay by PayPal please contact me before bidding" - I have always put this in my auctions in the past but don't know if they would take exception to it now or not???? I likely won't have anything to list on ebay for a week or two yet so will have to keep a close eye on what is happening.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I'm curious too.  I've come across a few people who will absolutely NOT use paypal - what are they to do???

FrizzyBear New York

Unfortunately ebay is making things more and more difficult....but it helps them collect fees!  :dance:

Thank you for the head's up!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Thank you for the heads-up!  I'm thinking about jumping back into eBay just so I can buy some time between listings to work on other projects at the same time.  I'll have ten bears done this week so putting them on eBay a week at a time would give me several weeks to work on the nursery and baby shower arrangements.  All the changes on eBay though......sheesh....they might be pulling my listings left and right!
bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

I just contacted eBay on their "LIVE HELP".

Here are the questions and answers on Cash/Checks and Money Orders:

Q:  Is it true that buyers cannot pay with a check or credit card if it's not through Ebay?

A:  Yes, that is true seller's can no longer accept money orders or cashier checks.

Q:  Can I accept Master CArd or Visa outside the eBay check out system?

A:  Yes, or there is another program that is like PayPal, called ProPay but I think their fees are higher than PayPal's.

Q:  If a buyer contacts me privately, can I agree to accept their credit card?

A:  Yes, you can state in your listings you only accept debit or credit cards.

Q:  If I say this in my listing can others use PayPal if they want to?

A:  OK, that is something you will need to create.  Mean you woudl create the check out. 

A:  It will depend on how you set up yoru check out.

Q:  If my customer contacts me either through eBay or privately, and asks if to pay with a check/money order, what will I tell them?

A:  Unfortunately, eBay ahs had a site change and no longer allows you to take money order or checks.  If your customer pays this way, they are
     breaking policy.

Q:  So a customer can call me privately and give me their credit card over the phone?

A:  Yes, that would be fine.

Q:  What if a regular, repeat customer calls on the phone and hand delivers cash in payment for an auction?

A:  eBay apologizes for any inconvenience, but we are trying to cut down on buyer being defrauded and we had no other chose (choice) but make
     a site change.

Q:  Is there a policay statement on eBay's website?

A:  If you go into our community board, you check the month of October,  you will see the announcement.

Here is what I understood from this conversation,  if you want to take a check, have the customer contact you privately.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hmmmmmmmmmm  Ed I'm not getting that from the answers ebay provided. 

Q:  If my customer contacts me either through eBay or privately, and asks if to pay with a check/money order, what will I tell them?

A:  Unfortunately, eBay ahs had a site change and no longer allows you to take money order or checks.  If your customer pays this way, they are
     breaking policy.

Pretty clear right there that they state you will be breaking policy, or am I misreading this. 

I mean I guess ebay won't be the wiser if they contact you outside of ebay and ask you to do this.    Can I ask why the US has not put up a huge stink about this.  I mean they tried to do this in Australia I believe it was and they took them to court and won.  Where is the competitiveness for banks and credit unions to be able to have people pay by checks.  I mean come on ebay keeps raising their rates to be competitive (that's what they say not my wording  :crackup:  :crackup: )  so if you can only really make payments via paypal or cc then there is no real competition.

hugs

Shane

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

Shane - E X A C T L Y - eBay is trying for the "Lions Share".   What a bunch of crooks.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Yep Ed I agree, I rarely buy anything on ebay anymore either.  I use to buy a ton of stuff on there but in the last yr I bet you I have only bought maybe 4 things and they were small things.  I'd rather track them down on the internet and give the business to someone right off their webpage. 

Shane

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I have to agree with Shane.  I too have greatly reduced my shopping on e-bay.  Just thinking about this makes my chest burn as my blood preasure hits the roof! 

I don't sell a huge number of bears, but e-bay is more that 50% of my sales. So far, I'm less than thrilled with Etsy and shows in this neck of the woods are few and far between (especially compared with US).  I've had success with my website (new as of Nov.), but the sales came from collectors I had previous contact with.

So, what's a person to do??

Erked, frustrated and ready to cut my nose off  in spite of my face.

-Laurie

Board footer