Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Jay17 Posts: 2

Im really new at this... i learned about bear making about two months ago and im really into it i just havent mastered very much. i want to make a bear, but the pattern calls for joints.... i dont really want him to be jointed.... is there a way to make him with out joints? bear_wacko .... please email me if you have an awnser..... ( thegreatbutterbattle@yahoo.com )

and sorry for the miss spelling

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi !
I have made bears in the past that were "string jointed".  This means all body parts were sewn, stuffed, and stitched closed.  Then, they were attached by running thread through body to the arm, through the arm to the outside, and back again, repeating the process to attach the opposing arm.

If you go back and forth repeatedly in the same place, the joints could move.

You could attach them this way, going through only once and they would be less move-able.

Not sure what material you are using, but ladder stitches are a good option too, and can be hidden under fur.  For example, on the head, you would just sew it at the neck to the top of the body going completely around using the ladder stitch.

I hope this might be helpful

Regards,
Lee Ann

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi... if you don't want the arms & legs to move, you can fully close them and then ladder stitch them onto the body.  My gramma used to make ones that had buttons on the outside of the arm & leg joints.... she did what Lee Ann said above except that the stitch went through the arm, through the button then back through the button, arm, body, other arm, other button... hope that's clear enough... it's difficult for me to put it in words!   bear_wacko  bear_grin

Board footer