Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
     We are experiencing a new phenomenon this winter - coyotes have always been in the area, but they are coming into town quite brazenly.  They are hoping 6 foot fences with relative ease  and grabbing pets in their own yard, even in the beaches area of  the city of Toronto!  My daughter has an outdoor cat (fast becoming an indoor kitty!), and there is a ravine at the end of their street.  They are now roaming their neighbourhood frequently and even looking in windows at pets as if to say (are you letting him out - YUM!)  The Ministry of Environment has said they believe the ones in our area are actually half coyotes/half wolves (they had a name for them, but I can't remember).  Anyway, it's really scary as everyone is now afraid of letting the small children play outside.  There has always been an abundance of rabbits in this area, but I haven't seem many this winter -  maybe they have all become lunch for this bunch.  Nobody wants to harm them - we just want them to go - any suggestions?

hugs,

Brenda

Sheryl Tuckerbears
Colorado Springs, CO

I am not sure they will just go away. Do you have a wildlife division that could help. We had them kill our chickens! They are not scared of humans, but never attacked us. Keep your pets safe, always be with them!

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Just a thought...I know it sounds wierd, but any of the canines mark territory. I have heard of men urinating around their property and preventing intruding wolves or coyotes this way. Of course, the marking has to be repeated after a rain. bear_rolleyes I'm not sure how effective this is, but it sure would have the neighbours talking :crackup:

Lynn Wisconsin

Hi Brenda,

We live in a suburb of Milwaukee and last summer we had a coyote family living in a swampy area behind our neighbors house.  They own an Australian sheep dog that they saw playing with a coyote one day and they also come onto their deck and look through the sliding glass door.  I haven't heard of anyone in the neighborhood having any problems with them, but we do have a couple of neighbors with small dogs that won't let them out alone.  Like you we also have a lot less rabbits around this winter.

Lynn

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

We live on a golf course and they come around here all the time. ...esp. in the winter, they try to catch all the rabbits living around here. We have all learned to just keep an eye on our pets, Tiffani is not allowed out after dark without us.
I don't trust them, they will jump fences easy! I have hung some rather large chimes on my back deck, they don't seem to like those  bear_grin  bear_grin
Please keep an eye on your fur babies!

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I was raised on a farm where they could be a major problem.  We always had firecrackers by the back door.  Anytime they got too close for comfort or got to howling we would step outside and set off a few firecrackers.  The urine also works.  We had a fox that was eating our chickens and our son took care of that by marking the area we did not want the fox to cross.  There are scent packets you can buy if you don't have anyone to do the territory marking for you. 
Donna

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

If anyone you know is getting a haircut you should save the cut hair and put it around the perimeter of your garden, i worked as a hairdresser for years and people with chickens would often come in for hair, which we always had plenty of! They said it kept foxes away, we dont have coyotes in Scotland but it should help put them off. I've also heard about the urine theory which also helps. Good luck with it  bear_original

Thanks for all the advice - I never thought of wind chimes or the marking of territory or scent packs.  The hair idea sounds interesting.  I think my niece did that with dog hair to keep deer out of her garden, last summer.  We've seen the odd fox around the outskirts of town, but they are much smaller and more solitary.  I don't like the fact that the coyotes are more in groups.   I don't know how bad the situation has to get before the Ministry will step in, but I'm sure the local farmers will be picking them off pretty quick.  It's just scary when they are on the street, and don't seem to be afraid of humans.  One of my daughter's neighbours was walking their dog and ran into two of them.  Thank goodness he was able to scoop up his small dog and was within a few yards from home.   A fellow in the beaches area in Toronto let one of the family's Chihuahuas out and was with him, but while he turned to close the door, a coyote jumped the fence and grabbed it, before he had a chance to respond - no more Chihuahua, poor little thing.   I never thought they would go into a huge city like that, but I guess there are lots of green spaces.   They seem to have increased everywhere - I don't ever remember them around in my childhood.   Does anyone know of incidents where they have gone after small children, or is that something that's not likely.  Don't have much experience with these animals - we only dealt with Fishers in the Ottawa area.

hugs,

Brenda

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I cringe to say this but, here goes...

Keep a rifle handy.
Learn how to use it properly.

I don't advocate going around shooting things indiscriminately but when it comes down to making a decision between the life of a member of my family or a coyote, the coyote is going to lose.

If they are jumping fences and coming into peoples' yards and they aren't afraid of humans, somebody has probably been feeding them.

If this keeps up, it's only a matter of time before somebody gets hurt by one of those things.

I suggest you get ready now and pray to God you never have to take action.   :pray:

Better safe than sorry...

Now, to the reason they are coming around...

They come around because there is a ready food source.
Remove the food source and they won't come around.

First and foremost...  DO NOT FEED THEM!!  I repeat!  DO NOT FEED THEM!! 

Coyotes are opportunists.  They go where the food is.  Take away the food.  The coyotes go elsewhere.

Keep your garbage in until the garbage man comes.
Don't leave cat food out on the back porch for your cats.
And, as you have no doubt figured out, coyotes consider your pets to be food...  Keep them in at night.

I'm pretty sure you are doing most of these things.  It's likely to be some of your neighbors that are unwittingly (or purposely) leaving food out for them.

I know that some people feel for the coyotes that can't find food in the winter like this.  But it has to be done.  If people don't take heed now, the only other way to control the problem will be trapping and culling.

And, even I don't want that to happen.  bear_sad

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

My sister-in-law lives in Houston.  She came home one evening and let her little dog out in the back yard.  Within seconds he was dead, killed by a coyote.  They are nothing to mess around with.  We have them around here, but have never had a problem.  We had a donkey and now have a little pony who hates dogs.  She keeps them away.

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

After reading the posts about dogs taken by coyotes,  I wouldn't let my yorkie terrier out of reach, is there any way you could build a run for your cat or dog? kind of like a giant bunny run? so its enclosed all the way around and above. I know its not ideal but if it would save their life then it would be worth it. I have 2 bunnies, one was an abandoned bunny that was running the streets with cats after her. We have a problem with mink, after hundreds were released by animal rights people some years ago. Some mink will even tunnel under bunnie runs to get to them so i have concrete under them. They have upstairs/downstairs hutches so plenty of room. Its not ideal, especially for a cat, but at least they would be safe and have some freedom as well.

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Keep a rifle handy.
Learn how to use it properly.

It's against the law to have a gun in the city here in Canada! You would go to jail with a weapons offence real quick! Even a farmer is supposed to have a gun registered to be legal. They are pretty tough about it here! I guess it would be an effective deterrent for agressive coyotes though!

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Same here. If you were to fire a rifle or gun even if it had your beloved pet in is jaws you would go to jail!
Sounds like a hybrid or interbred animal that has become quite brazen!
Please be careful. I wish there was some fool proof answer. This is truly frightening. Best of luck. bear_original

SGFOLKART SUE GORRIE FOLKART
West Coast

Brenda;
Living where I do there are a ton of coyotes. It seems the numbers have increased this year. And our outdoor cat population is decreasing.  bear_sad
There are a number of things you can do to scare them away. They don't like shiny, flashy loud objects. You can cover a soda can with foil and put pennies in it. then when you see the coyote yell at it and shake the can. That should scare them enough. However, if they see your cats as a food source they will come back for more.  I can't understand people leaving thir cats out at night. This is when coyotes are most active. But when they know there is easy prey they start coming in the day.
The other thing is to talk to the neighbours about keeping all garbage contained and put it out the morning of.
Here is a link from the Stanley Park Eco Society with some info on coyotes. Hope it helps.

http://www.stanleyparkecology.ca/progra … e/coyotes/

http://www.stanleyparkecology.ca/progra … errent.php

Sue

Hi there,
      Yep, firing a gun here would definitely not be the answer here!!  I think farmers may be able to shoot them, if they are attacking their animals, but I'm not even sure about that.
     Sue, thanks for the links - I'm learning a lot!  I do not believe that people are feeding them - I think that the winter has been very long and we have an unusual amount of snow, and that may be hindering their ability to find  food.  My daughter's subdivision is along Lake Ontario and it has ravines and lots of green spaces, with wild turkey in the area as well.  My daughter's cat has only gone out during the day, but not anymore - he's one ticked off kitty :crackup:   
     There are usually lots of rabbits but not so many this year.  We have TONS of squirrels in town, and that could be one of the draws for them, and once in the area, they have found cats and dogs - they are not stupid and they need food as well.  I've also noticed lots of articles about coyotes and how they are becoming a nuisance and a threat at the same time and these particular ones seem to be some sort of hybrids with wolves.  Unfortunately, if they continue to grow in numbers and invade populated areas, the Ministry of Natural Resources will step in and reduce numbers. I suspect though, that once the snow clears and all the little critters come out of their dens, they should retreat to their natural country habitat. Fingers crossed!

hugs,

Brenda

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I live in Arizona.  I have been very close (within feet)  to coyotes many times in my life.  Believe me, they are just as scared as you as they are of them.  If they are coming into towns, it's just to eat.  It must be slim pickin's in what's left of their natural habitat that HUMANS have encroached upon.  Hey, they have to eat too. They are really beautiful and amazing animals just like our pets.  I would personally relax about the whole thing and welcome a rare glimpse at wildlife in your back yard.  Just keep your pets in.  Once warmer weather arrives, they will probably leave. 

Hugs,
Alison

Alison, I think we were posting at the same time.  I do agree wih you - they are beautiful and obviously hungry, and I hope that the arrival of spring will solve the problem.  Take care!

hugs,

Brenda

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Brenda, they can be a bit unnerving!  My husband and I had a wolf right outside our tent once.  He woke us up howling.  The next time he woke us he was on the opposite side of camp.  He walked right through!  If it weren't so darn cold, and dark, I would have loved to see him throw his head back and howl.  I'm sure he was saying, get out of my space.  I think wolves are much more intimidating that coyotes.  They are both just beautiful animals.  Just keep a close eye on all of your critters when they go out. 

Hugs,
Alison

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I live within 100 yards of an airport.  If I touched off a round in this neighborhood you can bet there would be two men wearing dark suits knocking at my door in a matter of minutes!  It is not in my nature to shoot indiscriminately.  Neither is it my nature to break the law without darned good reason.

But, if I had to make that decision, it wouldn't be in favor of the coyote.

"eteddys" is right.  The destruction of natural habitat is what causes coyotes and humans to be forced into close proximity.  They only come around your house because they are looking for food.  If you don't make it easy for them to find food they won't come around your house.  Coyotes are opportunists.  They'll go where the pickin's are better.

Interesting story...
I have seen coyotes hunt by the runway lights.  (The lights are automatic.  They only turn on when a plane comes in for landing.)
They'll lay in wait by the ends of the airfield and wait till the runway lights go out.  When it's dark, the rabbits will come out to feed.  They think they are safe in the dark. 

But when an airplane comes in for a landing, the lights go on again.  That's when the coyotes pounce!

I've seen them do that a couple of times.

If my wife knew there were coyotes in our yard she'd probably pee her pants. 
But, nine times out of ten, they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

We returned from visiting our daughter's family in AZ last night: they're in Paradise Valley which is surrounded by Scottsdale and backs up into Mummy Mountain/Phoenix Mountains.
For those unfamiliar with Phoenix, its a huge sprawling metro area grown out around both very very old rounded-off and newer more sharply-topped mountains that lacerate the topography of both downtown and suburban areas. This means that most 'wildlife' has traditionally lived in what is now urban areas of human habitation. And has gradually been pushed out, except those that have found ways to live with humans and yet evade capture.

Having walled, gated property works to some extent but not in all cases. Hawks, eagles and falcons watch from overhead, swooping down to take small pets. Coyotes and even a coyote/wolf mix was seen 2 years ago next door to our family's home, which is still an empty lot; wildlife officers say that trapping one pack of animals merely allows the next 'gang' to move in. Don walks up the mountain roads every morning and has recorded the warbling vocalizing the pack does; not at all what you'd expect - more like you've heard for hyenas! I wish we had a sound feature here....

Yes, when one chooses to live in the area of what has been, until recently, ancient animal habitat, meaning up until as recently as 200 years ago, one must not expect them to apologize for their existence and move elsewhere!

As we drove out of their driveway 3 times at dusk, 20+ very large coyotes were loping along the street heading up towards the mountain, having spent the day down in the flatter part of the area. They looked exactly like German shepherd dogs, except there was something more fleeting and longer stride about them.
It's suspected that there are caves in these small mountains where they den. Many (excessively, $25 mil) gorgeous showplace houses are being built into the sides and tops of the mountain so the animals must cross these private roads to get 'home'.

One day I left something on a table in the sun to dry and went out to get it after dark. Going out a side door, I saw a shadow on the back wall, of a 'dog' moving away from a tree light: I thought - coyote - and stepped back inside to turn on more lights. The shadow had turned into one of a seated cat, like that you'd imagine of an Egyptian Sphinx Cat, though about 4' tall. I put that down to the relativity of the animal's position between the light and the back wall - until it moved to slink behind a raised brick cabana area beyond the pool. The head was still smallish but the grayish body has both mottled stripes and darker spots - - and about 4' long, with a tail the same length.

I had been clapping my hands and speaking loudly since I saw the seated cat shadow so I grabbed the mask and slowly backed up the 30' back into the house. As soon as I called DD Anne and DH Don, they went out to see. Anne grabbed a bocce ball and walked up into the  cabana area. By the time they were shining flashlights and looking, (chicken me walked only halfway out to the back of the property: I'd seen how big, silent and stealthy it was!!!) it was long gone. In looking at Google images, it was either a bobcat or a lynx, both have been seen in the area, but not often.

Our SIL's Mom, Lee, goes out to visit several times a year, for a month or 2 at a time. They built her a small house right next to theirs. A year ago, Lee was saying that she often hears fire alarms up the road and had in fact heard them quite often that day, earlier in the afternoon. About dusk Lee said to Anne "There they go again, but it sounds like it's closer. They must be having problems with house fires up there again."
Anne had to tell she was hearing a pack of coyotes, and that they were in the empty lot behind the 3 foot wall behind her house....

Just before going to bed, Anne looked out and saw Lee having her last smoke of the day, out in her little front deck area, wrapped up in a quilt like a squaw woman (she's about 5' and 90 lbs,) her head, little smoke puffs... and a base ball bat coming out of the top of the quilt.

Well, those are my AZ Wildlife stories! One thing this thread did - I found that out US Bears is 'Male'? 
I had never thought about it before, until you wrote just now "...my wife would prob..."
Funny, the assumptions we make sometimes!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

We live out in the country surrounded by farm lands. Often in the evening while I'm sitting sewing I can hear the coyotes howing and must say I enjoy listening to them. I've only actually seen them once out on the road.
I do laugh at my Bostons though. Ordinarily any sound will send them off barking but when the coyotes howl, they just bury their head under the covers!

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

id buy a really hungry lion!!
i hope you sort it out xxx

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Wow this has been an interesting and informative thread!  We live in the suburbs of Chicago and have 3 packs of coyotes near our home.   Like Bobbie said, they really sound more like hyenas when the whole pack is hunting than dogs.

Fortunately for us, we are surrounded by forest preserve, thus lots of wildlife (food!)  Although I've spotted single coyotes in our next door neighbor's front yard, they had simply been passing thru to go to another part of the forest preserve.

We do have a 6' wood fence surrounding our back yard and I always go outside with my dogs - it's easier to pick up after our Girls that way too.  I have a flash light with me at night which also has a siren on it - just in case.  I know coyotes have been known to jump even a 6' fence. 

I always look UP when I take our chihuahua out - looking for hawks - and I take our whippets out first before our chihuahua at night so I can listen for owls.  If I hear the owls then our chi goes out on her leash even in the fenced yard.

I agree, Laura Lynn, this has been an interesting and informative thread.  When I think about it, this is just a new creature we have to become informed about.  When we lived up north, bears were a huge issue - we had a large green space at the bottom of our street and they often came up to eat from the crab apple trees or berry bushes, if it was a bad year for berries.  We learned to check before going out at night and we learned to live with them and also the porcupines and raccoons that were EVERYWHERE.  We also saw bobcats on two different occasions, but they are quite rare, even in the north.  You don't want to hear two porcupines doing a mating call - it will scare the crap out of you.

When we lived in the Ottawa area, we learned to co-habit with the Fishers and a kazillion huge snapping turtles.  Our houses were built on the area they had been laying their eggs for hundreds of years.  We adapted very quickly to picking them up with snow shovels and walking them back to the river.  I didn't like the Fishers - they were very large and extremely vicious, on occasion attacking humans and the occasional horse.  They also live along the river and it seems everywhere we have lived has been on a river or lake.  Don't miss the Fishers at all.

So, when I stop and think about this, it is really just another learning curve.  Our two cats are already indoor cats, so no problem there.  My daughter's neighbour was walking his dog yesterday (a BIG dog that's a Newfie cross) and the dog stood his ground and scared one away!  It just un-nerved me a bit to hear they were in town in broad daylight, but then so were the black bears in lean years.  So I've learned a lot and I've located my "bear bells" and will start taking them with me again when I'm walking.   Coyotes are a lot smaller than bears, so no problem!  bear_grin

hugs,

Brenda

Us Bears Pennsylvania
thumperantiques wrote:

Coyotes are a lot smaller than bears, so no problem!  :lol:

Bruins are solitary.  Coyotes are pack hunters.

I've got no problem with them living in the area.  In fact, as long as they keep the rodent populations at bay (in cooperation with the hawks and the owls) I am quite happy to have them around.

One-on-one, a coyote is no match for a human.  But, if a dozen or more of them get together, they can take down deer.  Although it is rare, there are scattered reports of coyotes attacking people.

I do enjoy watching coyotes and listening to them... from afar.

Coyotes are part of nature.  Try to live harmoniously but have no illusions.

Board footer