Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

toby42 Posts: 2

Howdy, all! 

I'm new here and honestly, for only one purpose - my little boy needs help from the experts!  He lost his beloved teddy bear about a year ago and lately he's been talking about him, suggesting places that he might have left him.  I'm torn between teaching him that it's good to let things go and wanting to give him back his teddy bear!  But all psychology aside, I've been looking for a duplicate bear for some time but for the life of me cannot find the manufacturer - or even a bear that's close!  So I have two things: 1) does anyone recognize 'Bear' and 2) I noticed this forum is largely (solely?) directed towards bear-makers... would anyone be able to make a similar bear for him?  In case you can't tell from the pics, he was a light brown chenille-fur bear with a thin purple ribbon.  His hands (paws) were sewn together and his feet had black paw prints.

Just a thought... but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Bear3.jpg

Bear1.jpg

Bear2.jpg

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

aww bless, teddy looks much loved as well, it always tugs on my heart strings when i hear of a lost teddy friend. I dont recognise ted but will keep a look out for a replacement. My nephew is four and he has a blue bear similar to this one (called Mr Blue) and i know he would miss him if he ever gets lost, Dan screams for his Dad if Mr Blue even falls out of bed! Anyhow, good luck finding him.

I heard a while back about a website getting set up for lost teddies, not sure if it ever happened? great idea though.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Wish I could help with finding a replacement, but I don't know who makes that teddy bear.... I hope someone can help you!   bear_thumb

Us Bears Pennsylvania

toby;

I wish I knew what "Bear's" pedigree was but I don't recognize him.
If I get any ideas I'll certainly let you know.

As for finding a new Bear for your son...
The best thing to do is to look at all the Bear makers websites and see what kinds of Bears they make and what styles they are.  Find a Bear maker whose style you like best.  Then send that person a message and see if they are available to make a Bear.

You should be able to get just the Bear you want.  bear_original

toby42 Posts: 2

Thanks, all, for the support... I may hafta form a support group! lol...

gbrame the piece parade
North Carolina

This bear's been so loved!  I'm not certain this will be of any help, but could it possibly be a Gund?  It looks very similar to this bear:

gund_tansy.jpg

Good luck with your search!

~ginger

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

I have made "replacement" bears for a few people. It may not be exactly like the lost bear, but as one little 3-year old put it....."she looks like bear's sister"

pandamac

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awe your photos are very sweet.  I feel it's wonderful to have a bear friend from childhood.  You never outgrow the warmth of a teddy bear.  How unfortunate that he has lost his.   What I would suggest is to look on ebay with search words like "Vintage bear" , "old bear", and things of this nature.  You never know what might turn up that may be able to take the place of this well loved teddy. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Best of luck to you and your darling boy.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Toby42;

Do take a look at Pandamac's (Ellen's) website.  http://www.embears.com/
I think her style is very close to what you want.
Take a look at some of her Bears.

ampersand2.gif
saranac.jpg em2.jpg

And she makes "Child Safe" Bears too.  Always a "plus" in every Bear's book!  bear_laugh

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Ask the boy.  :)

Show him the website.  (Kids take to the internet, these days, like fish to water!  :D)
Tell him, "These are 'Bear's' brothers and sisters."  Ask him if one of the Bears on the website can come live with him.  If he says "yes" then you're golden!   bear_cool   If he says "no" you haven't lost anything.

Tell him not to worry.  You will still look for "Bear."  But "Bear II" will be there for him until you find him.

Even if you don't find him you can tell your son that "Bear" went to live with the Velveteen Rabbit.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Very sweet photos of your Son and his bear.
It is so hard when a much loved bear goes missing.

I hope that you find a bear that your Son will be happy with and he will be able to love again.
good luck

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear your son has lost his teddy.  My son lost his favorite ball cap once.  We left it at a restaurant out of town.  They found it, and mailed it back to us.  We were so lucky because he LOVED that hat. 

As for the bear, I do not know who made that one.  But, I do have a suggestion.  I read a children's book about a teddy that was lost and someone else found it.  They fixed and took care of the teddy and loved it.  It would be a good book to read your son.  I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it, but check with your local library.  The librarian may have read something similar or might be able to make a suggestion.  It would be a way for you to tell your son, "Teddys gone, but someone else is loving him now and teddy is keeping that child company."  Then, perhaps you could go on a special shopping trip to find a new teddy. 

Good luck and I do hope you will post again and let us know how this all turns out.

Bear hugs to you and your son!

Alison

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Ask the boy.

Us Bears, I think you're right on target - it's what this Grandma would do! Kids are SO savvy, and he looks to be just about the right age - old enough to appreciate the power of the net and old enough to not focus on just the lost bear as a 1 or 2 yo would. I'm assuming that he's 3 or closer to 4? (A smile/grin & eyes that have already captured THIS G'ma's heart I tell you!)
Yes, if the Velveteen Rabbit and several other stories about lost items aren't known in your house (The Lost Mitten ....) where children can be introduced to the idea of becoming useful in other ways and for other people (we use this later to build on when we need to explain The Tooth Fairy and The Santa Principle and College Tuition....). It's all Steps in a Process.

I'm having fun with this, but I'm going with Us Bears - and Gund. and definitely letting your young man make the final decision.
Nothing will ever be the Same, just try to choose the lesser of 2 evils. Isn't that what most of Life is all about?

hgs,
Bobbie

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I have been thinking about this lost bear!  I do wish I could remember the name of that book!  Anyhow, are you handy with a needle and thread?  I suggested after reading an appropriate book, going shopping for a new teddy.  If you can sew, why not make him a new teddy.  You can find simple patterns at fabric stores and you could let HIM, pick the fabric and help you stuff.  That would be a very special memory for him and while the original teddy would still be missed, a new teddy made by mom would certainly help heal those wounds. 

Alison

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

The Teddy Bear by David McPhail
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Te … 0805064148
I think this might be the book you are thinking of Alison. I LOVE this story.... such a great lesson.

As a little girl I had a few very special stuffed animals among the hundreds that crowded my room. When i couldn't find one of the favorites mom would always tell me I had plenty of others I could play with but the favorites knew my deepest secrets... they knew me better than the others....

Trying to replace the boy's bear might not be the answer but a cousin or brother or sister would certainly be a reasonable substitution.

If you never find the bear or a replacement take heart in knowing that this is a great life lesson for him in preparation of other losses he is bound to experience throughout his life. "The Teddy Bear" and other books will certainly help.

I hope he finds another teddy to love just as much!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Another story is: Dougal, The Garbage Dump Bear.....it is a story about a bear who was put in the "bin" and ended up living at a beach! A rfeally cute bear story about 'lost' bears and other animals who get rescued.

Thanks Us Bears for suggesting me, I have been in contact with toby42..............

pandamac

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Glad to help, pandamac.  :)
Hope the boy gets a Bear that suits him.  :)

We have three rescued Bears living in our den.

One Bear was found by the side of the road in Steadman Corners, NY.  We call him "Steadman."
He was found several years ago so we think this will be his home from now on.

The second Bear, was found outside a school.  She's a small, pink CareBear.  "Cheer Bear" is her CareBear name.
We posted her pictures on the internet and tried to post her picture to a Lost-Bear website but have had no replies.
Check here for the pictures of Cheer Bear's story:  http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294 … ar%20Bath/
So, even if she doesn't find her human, everybody knows that she's been well taken care of... and well FED!  :D

The third Bear we found literally at our doorstep!  We don't know how he got there!  One day, Melanie was going out to get the mail and there he was!
We figure he must have gotten lost and he somehow knew this was a Bear house.  We often have a Bear sitting by the window.  He must have seen the Bear through the window and made his way here, knowing that this would be safe haven.

Question for Bear makers:
Do you guys have any ideas on how to tag Bears so they can be returned to their human if they ever get lost?

Build-a-Bear puts a bar code tag inside the stuffing that allows them to return the Bear to its human.  The BABW Bears have a tush tag that says where to call for return but you have to return the Bear to BABW for the "tagectomy."

What about a tush tag that says, "Call for safe return." or something like that then has a blank area where the Mom can write a phone number or e-mail address using a washable laundry marker?

This could be a nice little "value-added" feature for Bear makers to offer customers.  For an extra couple-few dollars a Bear can be tagged for safe return.   bear_thumb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Daphne - I've got that book! I'm sure of it, though I'd hace to look for it on the kids' book shelves downstairs. I got it for our oldest grandie, who's now 21.

Yes, it's an EXCELLENT story about how the ted found his way to a cottage of lost toys/dolls.
VERY comforting!
I would suggest he be read it to - it's like $5 or was then as it's a 9" or so book and paperback.

Oops I typed too fast, now I see that yours is different. Mine has a similar looking little boy, but the lost teddy finds his way to the cottage on his own. I'll look it up when I'm downstairs this afternoon. I think the images of the homeless man might be a little scary to the boy here, not sure what experiences/exposure he's had in his young life yet so not sure if you want to combine this with the loss of his teddy too....

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Poor little guy.... I still have mine and I'm 35.

Board footer