Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

As you may or may not be aware, the deadline for the online URSA awards is in June.  I wasn't sure whether or not to enter this year, but as the category for large bears has been redefined as 10" to 18", the decision is out of my hands.  Big bear makers have been discriminated against this year!  Since when did an 18" bear become classed as 'large'?  In my book large means

LARGE

... and should include bears up to at least 30" in height!  Oh and before I forget, this is a photographic submission competition, so why downsize category sizes anyway?  Hmph.

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

That's really strange Paula.  Even though we now even make mini's our 10" bears are still "small".  Our 12"-15" are more medium and 18" and up are Large.  I haven't been paying any attention to the URSA's as we don't enter competitions, but if I'd have seen that I'd question it also.  That's not right to me.

K Pawz Guest

I didn't even notice that Paula, but I know throughout the year they were asking for ideas for categories, they like to tailor everything to the artist and make it interesting. My guess is the other categories were the most requested so the majority probably won out. I am sure if you talked to Valerie though she would make an exception for your awesome bears in the Large category being over 18".

hugs,
Krista

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Seems like they would have included a category for "over 18." Your big 'uns (as you say) as just beautiful. Who wouldn't want one of those. Doesn't make sense and seems limiting to the artist.

Kent
Website

Seems odd to re-categorise the main bear category sizes ... I can't see why they would need any restrictions bearing in mind the only judging is done by photograph, so no worries about receiving bears in the fur and storing them. 

Ah well, like I said, I wasn't sure about entering anyway and as I've no intention of asking for favours, that's that as far as I'm concerned.  I know I could submit a smaller bear, but that's not the point, I simply object to properly big bears being excluded!  bear_sad

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

That is just too weird, Paula! I would have thought "large" bears would be any size over a certain specific minimum, like 18" (especially when the bears don't have to be sent, why would there be an upper mazimum to the large size????) and since when did a 10" bear become a LARGE bear!!!!!!! - that's even a bit small for medium!!!!
To me the idea of separating the sizes is because you can do such different things in the detail in the different sizes of bears and there is a BIG difference in what you can do between a 10" bear and an 18" one!
Almost makes you wonder if they haven't made a mistake - a typo or something!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Why would they change the categories like that?

Isn't the idea of having categories so that you can keep a constant frame of reference from award to award?
If the categories change then how is an award winning Bear maker supposed to say "I won the Large Bear category for the last two years." when the category changes all the time?

Changing things like that defeats the purpose of having categories.   :doh:

K Pawz Guest

hmmmm that is odd, it could very well be a typo....playing devils advocate here, please don't get upset with me....but maybe they have limited the category to what they have recieved entries for in the past?? There is no sense having a category for over 18" bears and having nobody or only one person enter because then they would automatically be the winner and get a trophy....like I said playing devils advocate here....and not saying that only one person would enter, but they could be going on previous years.

I know they changed a lot of categories this year that in the past only had one or two entries to choose from, so like I said they may have made that descision regarding bear sizes as well based on what people have entered in the past. If people are only entering certain things they will cater the categories to those types of bears. 

I wonder though instead of getting too upset if maybe someone should contact Bears and Buds and ask if it is an error, it wouldn't be asking for a favour just clarifying the categories.

Hugs,
Krista

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I agree Paula!!! bear_happy

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I'm really surprised Paula, at one point the URSA awards had a category for just about any size or any type of critter you could dream up.  Perhaps they were just cutting back on categories this yr. I agree though that there should be a category for Large bears 18" and over.

hugs

Shane

Kent
Website

Well,'large bears undressed' was well subscribed to last year, so I doubt if the spec has been reduced through lack of support for the category.  It quite specifically says large bears 10" to 18" ... perhaps they've muddled a medium category requirement with the category for large bears?  Maybe I'll ask next week.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio
All Bear wrote:

Well,'large bears undressed' was well subscribed to last year, so I doubt if the spec has been reduced through lack of support for the category.  It quite specifically says large bears 10" to 18" ... perhaps they've muddled a medium category requirement with the category for large bears?  Maybe I'll ask next week.

Yes, I kind of wonder if it is a mistake. But then thr rules are changing for a lot of the contests.  bear_ermm
I have not entered before and I was thinking of entering this year for the first time.  Like you Paula, all of my bears are bigger and the bears I have most enjoyed making lately are 20"-24".

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I think you are absolutely right, Paula. 

A "large" bear for me starts at a size of approx. 20 inches, and certainly not below 18 inches.

Maybe they just don't have enough entries for a "large" category. 
It seems to me that there aren't that many artists -like yourself- that like to create really big bears, which is a shame, because they are soooo huggable.  :hug:

Love and hugs,

Peter

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I bet its a typo.  Why don't one of you contact them directly and ask  bear_flower

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

Now, Peterbear, that bear in your Aviitar is LARGE! Large and in Charge!!! bear_thumb  Gosh, bear_wub  I love him!

brtstar1 Bright Star Promotions, Inc.
Louisville, KY
Website

URSA2009-ReachWayOut-Banner150.jpgHi Everyone!

Each year the exciting and popular URSA Awards Competition challenges worldwide artists to 'Reach Way Beyond the Stars' for their ideas.

To keep the yearly contest interesting we change several categories to reflect the requests of the artists. We take into consideration everyone's ideas and requests. This year we added 2 more categories!

Over all, bear artists seem to make 10-18 inch bears and now we hear many of you wish to enter even bigger bears. That's fabulous!!! So next year we'll most likely have a Hugely Huggable Category for bears and buds over 18". but in the meantime, you'll notice that many of the categories are for 'all sizes' --- so why not enter one of your BIG 'bears or buds' in those URSA Award's categories?
http://www.bearsandbuds.com/URSA2009/UR … atisit.asp

Please take a look and then go for the GOLD - wonderful prizes, gifts, cash cards and an opportunity to win the prestigious URSA Major Award. Just ask anyone who has entered over the last 3 URSA Awards Competitions; it's great fun and for the winners it's another feather in your cap!
http://cyberden.dot5hosting.com//URSA20 … prizes.htm

Write to me anytime at editor@bearsandbuds.com or bearsandbuds@aol.com

The entries are coming in. What fabulous bears and buds I am seeing. You are truly amazing!

What will you enter to catch the eye of our readers and dazzle them for their votes?

Bearhugs
Valerie Rogers
Publisher/Executive Editor
www.bearsandbuds.com

Kent
Website

Thanks for popping in to answer my question Valerie.   bear_thumb

I was totally suprised to see genuinely large bears excluded from what I consider to be the main bears' categories (dressed and undressed - whatever sizes).  To my mind, these definitive categories are the are the mainstay of any competition, so I'm afraid that after more than fifteen years of creating my large bears and sending them to collectors all over the world, I feel rather excluded despite your alternative categories.  So sorry, but I prefer not to support the URSA's this year and will politely withdraw and leave the competition to the makers of smaller bears.

brtstar1 Bright Star Promotions, Inc.
Louisville, KY
Website

Hi Paula,

Do any of your large bears fit in the other URSA Award categories? We'd sure love to see you in the URSA Awards Competition again - your work is wonderful.

Think it over and if not an entry for this year, Big Hugs will be in the competition next year.

Bearhugs
Valerie

Kent
Website

Sorry Valerie, I've decided not to enter the URSA's this year ... I make large undressed bears primarily and they are what I prefer to submit to competitions in the main, because they are truly representative of my work.

hazelseuser Auburn, Indiana
All Bear wrote:

Sorry Valerie, I've decided not to enter the URSA's this year ... I make large undressed bears primarily and they are what I prefer to submit to competitions in the main, because they are truly representative of my work.

I can understand why you would not enter a category that is unfamiliar.   Maybe you can practice a bit on some smaller ones and enter next year.  I am not familiar with your work, do you have a web site?   I would like to see your bears.  I got my husband to look up the ursa contest and I saw a holiday category or something like that.  Maybe you could put a Santa hat on one of your big bears and enter it that way.   Thanks,  Hazel

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.
K Pawz wrote:

hmmmm that is odd, it could very well be a typo....playing devils advocate here, please don't get upset with me....but maybe they have limited the category to what they have recieved entries for in the past?? There is no sense having a category for over 18" bears and having nobody or only one person enter because then they would automatically be the winner and get a trophy....like I said playing devils advocate here....and not saying that only one person would enter, but they could be going on previous years.

I know they changed a lot of categories this year that in the past only had one or two entries to choose from, so like I said they may have made that descision regarding bear sizes as well based on what people have entered in the past. If people are only entering certain things they will cater the categories to those types of bears. 

I wonder though instead of getting too upset if maybe someone should contact Bears and Buds and ask if it is an error, it wouldn't be asking for a favour just clarifying the categories.

Hugs,
Krista

Your absolutely right Krista.  Where were the critics when Valerie sent out several emails asking for suggestions on category changes for the next contest?  I didn't respond to those emails, but had I been interested in entering I would have certainly commented then, not waiting to make public air of the subject.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Ed,
I don't think Paula was trying to create a stir , I think she was just showing her frustration of not being able to enter the competition.  I have to agree with her, why would you remove a category that is in every other competition and is popular with bear artist. 

Where were the critics when Valerie sent out several emails asking for suggestions on category changes for the next contest?  Are you saying then that Paula should have sent off an email advising Valerie not to remove the large bear category?? I'm sure she would have if she had known they were planning on removing it.  (I myself do not remember ever receiving any of those emails so I couldn't have put my two cents worth in on them if I wanted to )

I think people are missing the point that Paula makes beautiful large bears,  she doesn't want to put her bears in another category. 

I wonder how the artist who make miniature bears would feel if all of a sudden the category for miniatures was removed from a competition , but you were told that perhaps you could somehow fit them into another category.  I think Paula is just trying to show her frustration and feeling very excluded from this competition because she makes large bears, I don't think she was attempting to put the competition down.

hugs

Shane

Kent
Website

Ed wrote:Where were the critics when Valerie sent out several emails asking for suggestions on category changes for the next contest?

Shane Replied: Are you saying then that Paula should have sent off an email advising Valerie not to remove the large bear category?? I'm sure she would have if she had known they were planning on removing it.

Absolutely!  It never crossed my mind ... I had entered the category in the previous couple of years and interpreted the email invitation to suggest new categories as precisely that, an invitation to submit NEW categories, not one that required those considering entry to have to defend the existing categories, particularly those usually supported by the majority of participating bear artists.

Hazel, thanks for your interest in my bears; I'm afraid I'm not feeling the need to 'practice' on my smaller designs for the purposes of entering competitions, nor am I likely to add a santa hat to a bear for the purpose of 'making the shoe fit' for a competition entry.  No, I'll toddle on with my other commitments and put the time to good use, I'm sure.  By the way, if you'd like to see my work, please feel free to visit either my website, or my blog by clicking the links under my avatar.  bear_tongue 

Ed, I'm quite happy to bow out of this competition given the circs, so have no hard feelings towards the organisers, nor anyone else, just a little suprise and a mite of mild irritation at the exclusion of large bears from the main categories.  It was my understanding that this competition was working hard to extend its categories, I hadn't realised it was also going to limit entries in terms of size and as it's a photographic submission, judged purely by public vote, I can't understand why that would be necessary.

To clarify the reason I brought this up publically: a)because I take the competitions I choose to enter seriously as I believe they are an important element of keeping the bear industry moving forwards in terms of creative input and also in terms of public focus and b)because the change in category definition is also relevant to other bear artists who work hard to support the competitions and may not have noticed the alteration in size specification for their preferred category.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Paula, bear_flower

Mmmmmmm,  I am also a maker of large bears as you know and, although I have never entered a competition of this nature, I can understand
your frustration.  Although I make bears of different sizes, the usual happy size for my bears is around 22 inches, so my 18 inch
bears actual seem small to me!  I'm sure you are the same!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

edspencer tEDDIE bears
Wichita, Ks.

Hi Shane - Paula only started the discussion, I wasn't blaming her for the commentary.  It just seemed like there was a barage of negative comments about the contest and we saw plenty of that in the last couple years.  I guess I assumed that members or participants from Bears and Buds or URSA got those emails.

Paula:  The comment was not directed at you personally.  Again, I assumed  you'd received the same emails I got for suggestions.  Seems there is so much negativity in our tiny bear world in the last few years .  I probably took your comment wrong, sorry if my post offended you.  As for other comments, please don't do the Santa hat, your bears are fine just like they are.

Board footer