Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Here is a link to the woman who knit the models for the movie Coraline last year.
When the link opens, click on the top drawer in the 'desk' on the far left. It will show an interview with the designer/knitter.

She is __hugely__  mistaken in thinking she's "....the __only__ knitter working in this scale..."!!!! She certainly doesn't network with others in her field of endeavor, does she?

The designs shown really are beautifully detailed, and the cardigan jacket the designer is wearing is also well designed, but isn't very well-designed for her own body i.e., for set-in sleeves, the shoulders are too wide and the sleeve caps are falling off the top of the armscye, where shoulder ridge and sleeve cap meet.
I know - picky picky.... but really, when one sets themselves up as the paragon as top designer, her work should excel in __all__ arenas of the craft, especially when what she's wearing is her Canvas, her 'calling card' and is the visual representation of her best work.

The second, lower drawer in that desk gives the free, printable pattern for one of Coraline's sweaters.

I'd be curious to know: if worked on the very thin steel needles with threads, would it then actually be the same scale as the original...?....?..

http://www.coraline.com/#/?page=coralin … &subPage=0

hggzzz
Bobbie

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thank you for sharing  bear_grin  I am looking forward to that movie so much - it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

Those tiny gloves are amazing!!  bear_thumb

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks Bobbie it was great to see and read about how the knitting is done.  But you are correct that she is not the only one who does this knitting.  I met a lady at the Toronto show yrs ago, her name is Barbara Richmond.  She makes miniature bears and she knits sweaters for them.  I remember talking to her at the show and she explained to me that when she started knitting for miniatures you couldn't get needles that small.  She actually knits sometimes with piano wire.  They were amzing to see in person, I"ve posted her link, the pictures really do not the sweaters justice.

http://secondchildhoodminiatures.com/te … ymade.html

Thanks again Bobbie for posting the link for the site, it was cool to see.

Shane

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I believe I've met that lady at the show as well Shane. The sweaters were so very tiny and detailed  bear_wub
I've purchased the steel needles to work that small but realistically - doubt I'll use them. My eyes probably
aren't up to that anymore.

Marion

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

I have just knitted a cardi for a 4 inch bear  bear_thumb

rosie0001.jpg

and I am sure I am not the only one  :lol:

PS my first one this size and it was a tad too big, I knitted it on 2mm cable needles and when I was a kid we used to knit Barbie clothes on cocktail sticks!!!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I've done a fair bit of knitting for my 3 and 4 inch bears and a couple of things for 2 inch size bears.  I've seen some amazing items at miniature shows as well.  She certainly isn't the "only one in the world" knitting on this scale.  Her work is very cute, but I'd be careful before I claimed I was the "only one" with any type of skill.

FrizzyBear New York

How neat that this designer was showcased the way she was for the movie.  I agree that I know a couple of people who have done tiny knitting and I've even tried it for my Kish Ellery doll.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

there is an Australian lady who does miniature knitting, she also sells all the supplies http://www.lesleysminiatureknitting.com/  You can get patterns for entire layettes for 1/24 scale baby dolls!  Her work is amazing!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Here is what I was talking about in tiny knitting - - and had quite forgotten about; 2 of my  _most_ cherished fiber art collectibles. Commissioned and purchased from Janice Forbes in England, I waited well over a year for them, as they took a long time to create and her Wait List was long.
Sadly, I think she no longer does this work. She was in Birstall, Leicester at the time and would LOVE to hear news of her still working if anyone knows! My sister met her at miniature fairs during one of their frequent periods of residency in the UK.

They are knitted of sewing threads; the Golly is 1 & 1/8" tall and accented with gold thread. Its eyes are the very VERY tiny buttons that I wrote about in another topic, from Hilary Spedding of The Dollhouse Draper.

Sean, The Sheep (I named him after the Nick Parks 'Wallace & Grommit' character) is 1 & 7/8" tall. His sweater is knit separately - a beautifully detailed pastoral scene. I've never removed it but probably could. His legs are approx 1/16" wide and VERY tightly knit! My finger joints ache just looking at this!!!!!

Enjoy!
GollyJaniceForbesF.jpg   GollyB.jpg   
SeanF.jpg   SeanL.jpg

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Here is a beanie that I knitted from one of Lesley's patterns (see earlier post)craft_stuff_004.jpg - I am yet to finish the entire layette!

The doll is 1 and 3/4 inches long

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked  Wow!!!  Maybe as far as this lady knows, she is the only one?  She has yet to meet all these other lovely people who can do the same.  I think its wonderful that the movie people included an interview with her to promote the movie, though.   :clap:   It shows the talent and hardwork that goes on behind the scenes to make the magic happen. 

Fenbeary ~ I am in love with your teddy in her cardi!!!   bear_wub   She's perfect!!!!  bear_wub

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Oh my goodness I think this lady did a fantastic job knitting these teeny tiny sweaters!!!
Even though I do not knit I down loaded the pattern.:) Maybe someday. One can dream right? :redface:
However I find this so disheartening. No where did I hear her say she was the only one to create these tiny things. I heard her say as far as she knows.
Gees are we that critical or judgemental?
I also thought the sweater she was wearing was beautiful. I wish I had one or should I say I wish I could fit into one!!! bear_original

Board footer