Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Hi, everyone. All of my bears so far are crocheted. I knew it wouldn't be long before I wanted to try something new. I'd like to buy/order some supplies to try a sewn teddy. I'd like to start with miniatures. (Maybe my bill will be smaller too!) Favorite fabrics, favorite jointing method. I've only thread jointed thus far.  I have a couple books so I'm not going into this totally blindsighted. Although they aren't for minis, I think I'll be okay.  I read an earlier thread with lots of helpful tips on making minis. I just would like help figuring out what to order and where to order. Any offerings would be greatly appreciated!

Sandi  bear_wub

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hi Sandi

You can get great mini bear supplies at a lot of places.  I love the fabrics from Sassys Bears and Fabrics and she has things like tiny eyes, joints etc too.  Her service is really prompt too.

I found the vintage rayon with the non fray woven back really good when I first started making mini bears as it is really easy to sew and turn.  As you will have guessed - opinions vary widely around here so you're bond to get lots of different answers to your question!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

oh I agree I use Sassy Bears and Fabrics all the time. She has some patterns and Kits too. They come with a pattern, instructions and fabric for making mini bear. I would start with one of those and then you can see how you like it with out investing a fortune. :lol:
Fabric buying can be come a whole nother addiction.  :redface:
Kathy

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I checked out Sassy Bears...thank you so much. And a few other sites as well. Here's what I think I really need help with. What length of fabric would you suggest for different sized bears? Obviously a 5-6" bear could have a longer pile than a 2-3" bear. Please feel free to throw out any kind tips that you wish you had known when you started! I truly appreciate any help!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I have just done a 3" Koala (I will get pictures done soon) using the Sassy long pile in grey. I would say it was very easy to use and does not need fray checking. I also had some thin curved needles which realy helped. I used the onyx bead eyes. I really like the fabric and have some smokey which I have not used yet. For the 3/4" that would be ideal. Good luck and just shout if you need to know more.

Board footer