Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Hi
I wonder if anyone has any ideas to help me out for a special commission
I am about to start a mermaid bear - so I have this idea in my head and I want to make this little one a true mermaid who can have legs too but do you think that is silly ??
Should I just take the easier road and merge a bear torso etc with a flexible aquatic tail (shiny scaley of course)
Any thoughts would be most welcome - she is to be a miniature and I do have a setting in mind too
Awaiting suggestions bear_original bear_original
:hug:
Anne

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Hmmm. 

Anne, it occurs to me that if you're thinking of a detachable tail, you could wire the little legs/ankles/feet so that the little bruin could point its toes. This might make the fishtail fit better, especially if it's fairly firm, or firmly lined.

What about a top half with 2 detachable bodies . . . or would this be too creepy?

Eileen

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I vote for the flexible aquatic tail- don't think I have ever seen one with legs????
Hugs
Gail

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I would go for the tail only. Have a look on ebay at the mermaid dolls, they are divine. There are some lovely fabrics you can use. Sequins would be good to. Can't wait to see it, let us know as to what you do.

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

well you could make the tail pull up over
the legs like a sock. You can have loads of
fun with fancy sparkly fabrics, Lumiere pearlescent
fabric paint, beading (freshwater pearls?) & fins
made out of fused angelina fiber sheets,
on organza with decorative stitching to make
them look 'finny'...

oooh I wanna make fish tails now!  bear_laugh  :dance:

but the burning question is,
is she gonna have a shell bra?? hee hee hee

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Anne, she sounds awesome! If it is a commission, what do you think the new owner would like? If they just want to look at and display her, just making the tail would be by far the easiest and you could use spectaular fabric but if they like lots of detail and would really love the fact that she isn't just a regular mermaid bear and even has legs, then the tail would have to be sturdy enough to be taken off & on a number of times. Please be sure to post pictures when she is done.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

My first thought would be to make a removable one... and since your bears arent a toy, it wont get much wear and tear from putting it on and off... That would be the route I would take...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I hate calling you Toadbriar...LOL but you did not leave a name MIss toady ...LOL...

What is fins made out of " fused angelina sheets" on organza ? I know what fins are but angelina sheets? is this something rubbery? No.. hee, hee . You sound like me , I love the idea and can thick of all kinds of sparkle stuff to play around with....Winney

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh I for got to say.... making her toes point is a good idea and there are lots of stretchy sparkle fabric out there to embellish .. altho it may be difficult to pull onto such a tiny bear...depends on how tiney the bear is....Winney

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Ann go to my web sit i have mermaids in there you could get some ideas Fran

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

lol I've been called worse than toadbriar! I will sign my
posts from now on. But it seems like there are multiple
Kims on every board I post on!  :lol:

OK Angelina Fiber is NEAT! STUFF! It is sorta like sparkly
iridescent easter grass but is as fine as hair. I use it loose
to mix into wool for felting, but it can also be heat-fused into
a sheet if you put it between 2 pieces of parchment paper
& hit it with a dry iron. It's good for magical stuff like fairy
wings & so on, especially if you layer it with transparent
filmy textiles like organza etc. You can also fuse it into a
sheet with inclusions mixed in, like strands of fiber. or with
some tulle netting sandwiched in.

here is one page about it:
http://dollmakersink.com/angelina_fiber.htm
there are many more. just google angelina fiber.  :lol:

have fun!
-Toadbriar Kim

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Oh ladies - you are wonderful  bear_wub - so many ideas  bear_rolleyes - thank you so much bear_thumb bear_thumb

So
Eileen :
"Anne, it occurs to me that if you're thinking of a detachable tail, you could wire the little legs/ankles/feet so that the little bruin could point its toes."
Excellent silly enough it may seem I had forgotten that if the tail was to come off I would need pointing toes - Thankyou Eileen  bear_original bear_original

Gail:
"don't think I have ever seen one with legs????"
Its an old tale (sorry no pun here) that mermaids can when they wish come on to land for a while - then they can have legs - usually sad love stories  bear_sad - then they return to the sea where they have their tail
Thanks Gail  bear_original bear_original

Amanda - Thanks for vote for tail  bear_original bear_original

Kim - Angelina Kim that is - never heard of this fibre before sounds great I will try and find a uk supplier  bear_thumb bear_thumb A bra - never considered that though I do have some small shell somewhere ;)
Thankyou Kim (angelina)

Terrie this bear is for a small boy of about 10 who when he saw a belly dancer and golfer I had made asked if he could have a merbear for christmas - when my friend said - what a mermaid - he responded -"Well if she can make a belly dancer and a golfer - why not a mermaid!! - oh the confidence of the young - but I promised my friend I would try  - thanks Terrie :hug:

Kimmy - thank you!!
"My first thought would be to make a removable one... " - I still would like to try Thank you Kimmy bear_original

Winney:
"making her toes point is a good idea and there are lots of stretchy sparkle fabric out there to embellish .. altho it may be difficult to pull onto such a tiny bear" - Yes I was thinking a base of sparkly lycra for the tail - thank you Winney  bear_thumb bear_thumb

Fran - oh thankyou  bear_flower your sisters mermaids are FANTASTIC - yes some wonderful ideas there - just do not know if I am clever enough :redface:
Thank you so much Fran :hug:

Well ladies I love you all - thank you so much for the help - I will post the bear when it is finished - even if it is not so good - just to see what you all think - thank you so much for your contributions :hug: :hug: :hug:
Anne

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Hi Kim, I have tried to make a merbear with her legs, and then a fish tail. but to no avail it just didn't look right, I hope that you have more success than I did, it also was a small bear and I think that was the problem.  bear_thumb

Board footer