Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well.... after almost a year on anti-depressants the big black dog is shadowing me again..and has been since about September....the thing is I am starting to think this could be seasonal. My GP is changing my medication and that doesn't help but I was wondering if anyone in teddy land knows about SAD..and the paraphernalia that goes with it.

I was inclined to poo-poo this ...I was one of those people that goes about thinking it's all in the mind and that it's a bit silly,  happening only to incessant worriers...but having experienced anxiety and depression and it's phsical symptoms for real for almost 3 years now I hope someone knows something about this.
I'll try anything to make this go away.

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Here's a website with tons of info on the benefits of sunlight and vitamin D.  This doctor says that everyone should take a vitamin D supplement in the winter.

www.mercola.com

puca bears puca bears

I'm another one who really gets DOWN in winter......and these past WEEKS of endless gloomy wet weather have been really bad.
I'll be very interested too, to hear if any of you have tried the SAD lamps.........and I'll be picking up some vitamin D supplement tomorrow!
I keep telling myself that my current state of mind is due to me having been a bear in a previous existence - I really should just hibernate thru the winter............

huggies
Maria

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Jenny, this is something I was forced to really look into a couple of years ago and it's something I most definitely deal with every winter, and even in the summer when we have consecutive days of rain. I was put on anti-depresants but, long story short, none of them worked for me or I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I do take a vitamin D supplement and I also found that exercise helped (although with SAD, finding the energy to get up DO something can be a challenge!). I walk on the treadmill or do some aerobics or yoga.... gets the "feel good juices" running in my body! (Sometimes I just put on some upbeat music and dance around the house... but don't tell anyone!) I did buy a lamp but it has to be so close to you and although I may sit for hours working on a bear, the glare from it made it hard for me to really work. I packed it away.

I just want to throw something out there for anyone reading this: It took two years to finally figure out that a lot of my depression symptoms were actually from an uncontrolled THYROID disease! The symptoms of an over or under active thyroid are so vast and everyone can experience something different. I didn't present a lot of the "typical" symptoms at first and even my blood tests came back "within normal range" but upon further investigation I learned that the normal range is too big and being at one end or the other can result in symptoms. With the proper medication dose I'm now (3 months later) feeling so much better and my blood test results are right in the middle of that normal range, not at the outer limits. Other things I hadn't associated with thyroid issues have cleared up or lessened too... strange aches and pains, the ability to concentrate, energy level has increased, hormones are more in balance... the list goes on. (But don't a lot of those sound like depression symptoms too? Easy to over look an underlying cause like the thyroid!)

Just something to consider....

I hope you find something that helps you, Jenny.  :hug:

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

It's something I've struggled with for a number of years, so that I had to start taking long walks at lunchtime to get some daylight when at work, even in the rain.  Up till I finished up at the end of November I was right by a window for a change and felt much better than I normally do in winter, but when I go back in January all the projects and desks will have rearranged, and I may be miles away from the window again  bear_cry  As we only get about 5 hours daylight in Scotland in winter, I do struggle.

On the plus side I do have a couple of daylight lamps.  I bought them for craft stuff, but they do perk me up wonderfully, and Hobbycraft has a couple on a really good half price deal right now if there's one near you (check out http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/Pages/Stores/)

:hug:  Hope this helps

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Here in Seattle we are really dark in winter. Sunrise is about 8:30 am and it starts setting at 3:00 pm. But that doesn't usually matter because we can go for weeks with just clouds and rain and not see the sun. Seattle people handle it in different ways. My brother has two special lights on either side of his bed. He uses them at night while he reads and gets in a few hours. Many people have SAD lights in their homes. By the time I go to bed, I collapse and sleep like a log so the lights wouldn't help me there. During the day I'm always bouncing around. What's worked for me is aerobic exercise early in the morning to jump-start my body. (I start the exercise while I'm half asleep and by the time I really wake up it's almost over ;-). Then I do like other Seattlites; we run outside the minute even a glimpse of sun shows and we stand with our faces toward the sun  bear_laugh It probably looks funny to visitors but it's quite common. I've seen people come out of grocery stores and stand in the parking lot to take in a sudden break of sun!
Karen

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Daphne I did have my thyroid checked earlier this year and it seemed ok...but my sister has  a very under-active thyroid and so did my mom. I think I over breathe..and I try to slow down but can't ..the old 7/11 technique etc..then I get breathless and exhausted...I get huge adrenaline rushes too which make me feel weak and twitchy. Add to that the tummy problems and strange cravings for sweet things ..and an ability to sleep round the clock and I am at a loss.My GP just has just referred me for CBT and I am also changing my medication but it's a nasty time.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Jenny,

Here in Canada a lot of people suffer from SAD, a couple of the girls that I work with use the lamps and find they make a huge difference. They actually have them sitting on their desk at work as that is where they spend majority of their time during the day. They say they couldn't get along without them, I think it's worth a shot and yes the Vitamin D also helps we take that during the winter as well. 

Daphne thanks for mentioning the Thyroid disease, I am always exhausted it seems and never have enough energy, I will make sure I check with my Dr when I see her at my appt.

big hugs

Shane

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

What a timely topic for me !  Jenny, I too have a more difficult time in the winters and have been considering a SAD lamp and started taking Vitamin D.  As soon as the time changes it gets worse. l I could sleep all the time, have no energy, feel depressed, moody etc.  Interestingly enough I experience what I thought was my first  anxiety attack a month ago, which scared me terribly.  I had another one on Sunday and went right to the emergency.   The symptoms were horrible ( the adrenaline rush , lightheaded, pounding heart, can't breath etc.) and my blood pressure was 169/119 which is sky high . The  doctor thinks it may be because of my thyroid.    I go to my family doctor tomorrow for the blood results and also need to get an ultrasound on my thyroid gland .

Many of the women in my mom's family have thyroid disease so I get checked every year.  However, it always shows normal.  My aunt and cousin suffered for years before they could determine thryoid was the cause as their ranges were always normal also.  Not until the doctor did monthly hormone checks for 6-8 months did they confirm thyroid was the cause.   I will request the same if mine shows normal tomorrow.  I even asked the emergency doctor if "normal" might not be "normal" for my body .  He didn't really answer so I'll ask that again.  I think the ultrasound is a good idea too.   It is so difficult to know what the underlying cause is, as Daphne said , because the symptoms are the same for depression, anxiety, and thyroid  .

Good luck trying to find a solution.  I think the lamp is worth a try anyway, and getting outside or sitting by a window in the sunlight for at least 15 minutes a day.

sandra p skye rose bears
kent
Website

i,ve heard some good stuff about the lamps,and keep wondering whether to give one a try,but i think i'll definately give the vitamin d a try ,i know how you feel jenny i'm on medication for anxiety and depression related things ,but i've had all the tests and nothing's wrong,the trouble is anxiety can cause all sorts of horrible physical symptons , but i always tend to feel worse this time of year so i'll be interested to hear what people say about sad
hugs sandra

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Those of you who are experiencing thyroid issues or think you might be or have a family history of it, please check out these links (there are plenty others but it gets to be pretty dry reading!) for info on the test results and what the numbers really mean. I used to believe my doctor when he'd call and simply say "Your thyroid test came back NORMAL." When my physical therapist (who I was seeing for unexplicable but debilitating ankle pain and tendonitis) did some research and wanted to know what my actual test results were numerically he brought me documentation in the medical journals showing that my doctor was following the "old" range guide, not the new one. He also brought case studies describing an incredibly wide range of symptoms related to thyroid disease... muscle and tendon pain was one of those things... once I was on meds and my tests within the very middle of the "new normal" 75% of my pain was gone!!! LOVE my physical therapist!!! They are the kind of people willing to think outside the box... many primary physicians can't get past what the text book says.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedan … maltsh.htm (Note the comments in #3)

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/newsinfo/l/ … values.htm (You'll note that the "normal" range was tightened in 2003 but a lot of doctors don't know or follow the more strict range.)

Also wanted to add that my father-in-law had the rapid heart rate, anxiety and severe head aches.... ended up being a cyst on his pituitary gland which had to be removed. You just never know.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I have a floor model Ott light at my easy chair where I do most of my hand sewing and reading - plus a OTT task light on my cutting desk and another table OTT light by my sewing machine...love them and I believe they have also helped with my depression. My husband liked mine so much he now has two in his library!

Kidsandteddy The kids and teddy too
Lincoln Ca.

Hi Jenny,
Well I have a problem with depression in the winter also. Last year when I went to the doctor for some blood work I really did a number on the poor girl having to listen to me.  :redface:  When I did see the doctor and ranted to her she said that I should take two vitamin D vitimans  a day. I do have a sun light in my work room also. So far I am better. I do need to see the sun however. Usually around Feb. I take a trip to Ca. to see the kids and spend about 2-4 weeks. Probably living here in Boise without any family or friends does not help.  bear_sad
I also thought it was just me having a bad day but I do believe it is a real problem, more for some that others.
I really hope that you can get through this without the side effects of drugs.

You are in my thoughts !!!

Big Hugs,
Bonnie

Board footer