Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

rhonda514 Posts: 2

I've been making mini bears for awhile and have always done them by hand. Most are 4'' to 5''. Things have changed, I want to start machine sewing the body, arm. legs and still do the gusset by hand. What's the best way to do this, trace the pattern with a seam allowance and just place the other piece underneath and sew on the line and then trim? Is their an easier way. I heard nylon is good for the sewing part? Ant thoughts   Thanks for your help Rhonda

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Rhonda, I draw my patterns with no seam allowance and then sandwich the fabric, right sides facing, and trace around the pattern pieces leaving plenty of space between each for a seam allowance as the traced line becomes the sewing line. After sewing all pieces I then cut them out and proceed as usual. I do find some fabrics tend to "slip" more than others and once I have identified this I often baste the fabric together inside my traced body parts before I machine sew and this helps prevent the problem (and it is still way faster than totally hand sewing!)
I don't know about the nylon thread - I  have always used cotton wrapped polyester, like Coats Koban.

rhonda514 Posts: 2

Thanks Edie, It just seemed to easy to work right, I'll try one this afternoon. A friend fell in love with them and wants to put a few in his pie shop, and he even researched other places as an outlet for them. If he's gonna do that, I have to follow through So I'll see how it goes.  Rhonda

Board footer