Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Golliwogg21.jpgDSC01197.JPGFlorence Upton is credited with creating the golly.  She was born in the US but her parents were British citizens.  Her mother told her stories that centered around her 2 penny dolls and a little black fabric doll and her teddies.  When her father died she and her mum moved back to Mother England.

This was in 1899.

Mom wrote some of the stories down and Florence illustrated them.  The first book was
The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls

Florence is credited with name our little jolly friend, by altering 'Pollywog". 

The 2 Dutch dolls and the original Golly are in the Prime Ministers country estate called  Chequers.....I think that's the name- I doing this from memory.

What I love about this is that Prime Ministers come and go but our friend is still in residence.
I have a picture of this later on.

Now Florence and her mom did not copywrite the Golly so the little guy was open for borrowing by anyone and everyone.

Many companies have created gollys, I have a Hermann and a Steiff.  I wish I had a Fran and a Jane and a Penpen....something  I'm working on it.

The Robertson Jam Company made the golly their mascot in the 1920's.  And they created little clay figurines and buttons that people liked to collect and that are still traded on e-bay.

I have also seen by the R.John Wright company a cast iron muffin tin.  (I came close to winning this and was crushed when it slipped away)  There are trinket boxes, clocks, post cards, salt and pepper shakers, and I can't remember everything I have seen....sorry....

In the 1920's an enterprising lady came along by the name of Enid Blyton.  She picked up where Flo left off and started writing new children's books.  She wrote more than 700 books and 10,000 short stories.  Not all about my favorite character though.

She continued writing little stories about him.  The " Noddy" series helped kids get through bad things in England like the air-raids  during WWII. 

Many bad people decided to use the golly as a racial slur- it seems to have begun in India where some of the British soldiers called their helpers who were Indian "wogs".  It wasn't a term of endearment.  It came back to England and then began to be used for any race that was slightly darker.  Then it came to America....but we had even uglier terms, so it wasn't used that much.

What people who are against the golly don't know is that the golly was michevious, but stalwart and loyal and chivalrous and he always saved the day.

When I am confronted I take one of two arguments.....if I am prejudiced by virtue of having a golly then why do I think he is honest and helpful and always saves the day? 

Then I point out that in the International Golly Collectors Club there are people of all races.  Does that mean the black members are prejudiced?

If a black lady collects porcelain dolls is she being raciest because they are white?

Then I suggest that perhaps they had better look into their own hearts.  I have 3 half sisters and a step father who are "black".....and why would I do something that could cause someone in my family pain?

I suggest that perhaps racism is really rather silly in this case....and only someone totally unblemished with racist tendencies is pure enough to point a finger at someone elses flaws in this area.

Also I suggest that with all the lives that this planet has supported, with all the ashes and all the dust that so many before us have turned into, we are all part of everything and everyone.

If that still doesn't work I ask why they feel so threatened.

On with our story.

When Flo died she was buried in Hamstead.....is this close to anyone?  And on her tombstone is engraved

Florence Upton
Creator of the Gollywogg

They used the 2 'g's because thats how she spelled it.  Enid Blyton only used on 'g'

Now, I truly do not understand how anyone can live with a gollygood friend like a golly and not fall in love with him or her.

Ok......at's about all I remember-  but I have some pictures too

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Absolutely out of this world Dilu! Wonderful and beautiful Gollies Hon!

Many Hugs Louise

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Dilu, Thank you for "Study of Golly" !   :clap:   :teddybear:
My teddies said, gollies are Best Friend for them and Golly makes me Smile !  bear_innocent

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wonderful explanation of the history of golly, Dilu!!  You are an expert!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

thankyou Dilu ......loved it

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Dilu thanks, I kinda uderstood that....
You know, I was always wonder, ....(I'm sorry and do not want to offend anyone...) I've never seen "black" (or I don't how I should say it correctly .. african-american) teddy bear artist...
When I lived in Tacoma, my roommate in first trimester was a "black" girl.  bear_thumb
I liked her alot! :hug:
So my question is ..is teddy making  "white" art or what?  :/

Hugs, Julia

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I already knew the story Di, but I have really enjoyed reading it again. Thanks so much for sharing it with everyone, you lovely lady!  :rose:

Jane   bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Finally, we had the story behind the Gollies!
Dilu, you're a darling!

Thank you thank you thank you our beloved Dilu!  bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thank Dill lovely story you must be worn out .

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bravo  brilliantly told. I have always loved gollies I had 2 as a child in the fortys they were called, Golly Wog and Polly Wog, now I know why. My gollies mysteriously disappeared ni the sixtys when I was leaving home and my room was turned into storage. I think of them every time I visit T T.
Gollies were even immortalized by rock and roll, remember "GOOD GOLLY" Miss Molly
Long live gollies every where  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Beautifully written Dilu  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Julia, I'm not sure you could really say teddy bear making is a 'white' art, but to be fair, I have yet to  see a coloured person making teddy bears.  That's not to say they're not out there, and I know they'd be FULLY welcomed into the bear community....I just haven't seen one either.

golly4.jpggolly2.jpggoll3.jpgThe International Gollywogg Collectors Club has people from all over the wrold in it

The wonderful lady who puts out the newsletter said that anyone who wanted one could just write her

Terri Kovacs

Gollies@aol.com

Be sure to put "gollies" in the subject window and tell her I gave you the address.....so that she knows it was a member.

Here are some more pictures I dug up.....

The first is a fuzzy photo of the originals that started it all.

Isn't he a handsome fella?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Julia . . . no, bearmaking isn't just a "white" art - it's just that there aren't very many African-Americans involved.  Kind of like there aren't nearly as many men as there are women in the business.  Chester Freeman and Cookie Mosely are two that I can think of.  But there are many bearmakers that aren't Caucasian (white) . . . our Asian friends, for instance, and I think it's terrific that the love for teddies involves so many nationalities and ethnicities.  It's like a world-wide hug!!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Thanks, Sue Ann :hug: :hug:
I really was wondering how come is that .... :/

HUGGS, Julia

Yep gollies and teds can break down those pesky barriers between us and make us all realize our sking color doesn't matter.....after all our teddies come in all sorts of colors.....like those stephanie showed us on the mini forum....yum yum......

I'm with you Sue Ann hugs around the world-and aren't we lucky to have people all over the world we could hug if we saw them in the other reality that people seem to think is real, as opposed to here....you know...

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

:P.

Vladivostok, RUSSIA
patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Dilu, thanks for that history.  I didn't know the story and I learned something.  What year are your Steiff and Hermann gollies from? 

How many people collect gollies?  Are they more popular in certain countries?

Chrissie, I don't know off hand, the Steiff came from the Toy Shoppe and I do not know where the hubs got the Hermann...don't know.....

I could dig out the certificates, which are in the boxes in zip lock bags.....but to be honest....it sounds like a fools errand trying to figure out where in the garage that they would be.....

The golly seems to be more popular in Australia than anywhere else, however it is seeing a growth in popularity here in the states and in Canada.

I can only hope they become even more popular, as there aren't as many golly artists as there are bear artists  :lol:

:P

silly me, i was afraid they woudn't nt me here on this board because I do mostly gollies.....see how gollies and teddies can break down barriers....even ones we put up ourselves!   bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

SueAnn wrote:

there are many bearmakers that aren't Caucasian (white) . . . our Asian friends, for instance

Too true!  And I was just thinking yesterday, actually, that we are maybe somewhat isolated here in the US, with our US magazines, and the limited availability of international bear magazines, and exposure to European and Asian artistry.  I'm certainly no expert, but it seems like many of the artists on the OTHER continents -- especially Europe and Asia -- tend to get press and publication, and participate in contests, in their own regions (for example,  in Germany, which is geographically sorta kinda a midpoint between, say, Ireland and Japan!  More so than, say, Kansas would be a midpoint, anyway!)

This is not to say that our US magazines do a poor job of representing international bear artists; I'm sure they do their absolute best!  But rather, it's probably more the case that bear artists themselves submit photos to, and advertise in, those magazines which they, themselves, have some chance of seeing at some point!  Making advertising in, for example, a German bear magazine, somewhat off-putting for someone who speaks only English, and lives thousands of miles away from the nearest specialty newsstand that might carry such a magazine.

For reasons I don't entirely understand, the US magazines and boards seem to also draw a lot of Aussies (hi, Down Under!)  Perhaps it's the language connection that draws us together so readily.  We get a lot of UK visitors as well, and the domestic magazines seem to publish work by a lot of artists from the US, Australia, and the UK. Or at least, that's a trend I THINK I'm seeing, anyway... given what else is out there.

If you want to see some really terrific  European and Asian bear artistry, maybe even from some names you've never heard before (but will be happy to learn, now), you need only to look at this years winners for the GOLDEN GEORGE, a contest which I believe is sponsored by a huge German exhibition/show, TEDDYBAR TOTAL.

Check it out, here:  http://www.teddybaertotal.de/CMS/O/1/K/ … TAL,Teddy/

Vladivostok, RUSSIA

rty.jpgwow!! Great link! thank you Shelli,  :hug:

Shelli, it's a little off what you just said but I went to Bear path by the link you gave...
WOW teriffic bears!!! I want all of them.. :hug:  Yours are there too and all are darlings!!

But look what I found over there for our Dilu!
Artist's name Ingrid Schmid

Oh she is just too too cute...

I broke the news to the hubs today, that we also need to collect artist gollies.

d015.gif He just rolled hi eyes

p050.gif He's such a trooper

bear_tongue

Irene Irenours-bears
France

HHMMMM!!! I'm a half black woman bearmaker and dollmaker bear_grin. My mother is black and my dad is white. I lived all my chilhood in Africa and leave it to France in 1977 when i was 17 years old. I had a bit of racism problems but not too much. I've also been left beside because i was too" poor"( you can not do the same things, buy same things, go on travel etc). Finally, i had 4 childrens and some peoples said that it was made to have money by the governement. My husband has worked since his 16 years old and we never ever been assisted by anybody to eat or pay our charges. Smaller and smaller, things becamed much better because of my hubby's work, then some people( the same) becamed also jaleous bear_wacko I often had cristicisms than support. I absolutly hate to fight against anybody, so i didn't use to answer, but all these things made me really sick and depressed. Finally, i tooked antidepressant pills for 3 years and i still thanks god and my doctor bear_grin I also decided to take all these people and situations off of my life the best i can. Since that, i don't want to have friends, even if i love peoples, but i just want my family in my life.I know that i'm steel fragile, but i feel much more better. Beetween these 3 years, i discovered dollmaking by scrolling on the web. I did learn english only 3 years at school but i wanted so much to sew dolls that i made all the necessary( thanks to the dictionnary bear_grin )to understand the explanations. One year ago, i also felt in love with bearmaking and i really think that both dollmaking and bearmaking have greately helped me to cure. I don't know some black peoples in doll making or bearmaking, but don't think that is a matter of a skin color. It can be a matter of opportunity, for exemple, if i didn't had an computer, i could not know anything about dollmaking. I'm sure that in a biggest part of Africa, they did't heard and of course don't know anything about bearmaking. Even if they knew about it, peoples would not have enough money to by supplies. Thank you Dilu for the story about gollys. I belonged to a doll club and they had a topic about them. Some persons was angry because of how these dolls looks like for black peoples and others said that they just love this kind of dolls and didn't want to offended anybody. I absolutly agree of what Dilu said. I don't want to see part of politics, war, fights,racism and others hugly things in doll an bear's world. I just want to feel like i'm on an peace island without someone who looks at my color instead of the human i am:love: That's why i also love this place where i can avoid sad things for a few minutes or hours bear_original and i thank you all for that. bear_wub bear_wub

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Oh I wish I cuold climb through the internet and hug you, we all live in teddy and doll world where all colours are wonderful I have made red bears green bears pink , blue gold , blond ,brown and black bears and love them all. I am so happy that what my hubby calls teddyaddiction has helped you cope, you can tell a teddy anything they are allways ready to listen.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Irene...  :hug:

bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower bear_flower

Board footer