Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Ishtar Posts: 2

Hi all,
new to forum and not sure if anyone can give me some advise (or even if I am actually posting this in correct forum if not apologies and please let me know where to go) on how much to pay for a vintage furcoat, nearly down to ankles, to use for making teddybears with.
Dont know what fur it it but its long and nice and shiny, but no clue how much to pay for it (don't want to rip off the old lady who is selling)

Any advise please?

thanks so much

Ishtar

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Is it possible to get a picture of it? What colour is the fur. Is the fur in good shape, you want to make sure that the coat is soft enough to actually work with.  So make sure the backing is not to stiff.

hugs

Shane

Ishtar Posts: 2

Hi Shane, yes it is very soft, let me see if I can get a picture later today, and I will link it. She is interested in selling but doesnt know what to ask, and I dont know what to offer

Thanks so much for help

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

Hi Ishtar... a good place to get an idea is ebay.  I often look at the completed listings to see what a comparable coat is worth.  You may also get an idea of what kind of fur coat it is from there.    bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Smell the fur if you can.  Does it smell "musky" or  "rich and leathery?"  If so, it is probably all right.
If it smells "dusty" or smells like a "dead animal" you probably have an old, worn out fur on your hands.

Also try to feel down to the leather beneath the pelt.  See if it feels soft and supple versus hard and dried out.  Dried out pelts are old and have not been cared for.  They will not last very long.

It is common for people to sell off old, worn out furs.  They think of them as venerable objects because they were so expensive to buy but they will not put them on cold storage for the summer or they will not have them professionally cleaned by a furrier.  (Standard dry cleaning damages fur.)

Consequently, furs can depreciate very rapidly.  A fur that is not well cared for could be fully depreciated in less than 5 years.  A fur that has been taken care of will last much longer.

Bottom line:  Check the fur out and don't be afraid to be critical.  If it is old, dried out or smelly it is not worth much, regardless of what the seller thinks.  If it is old and the seller won't let you bargain the price down, don't be afraid to pass.

You're making Bears, here!  You want to make something that will last and can be loved for a long time.  If you make a Bear out of old fur he won't last very long.  Will he?

BTW:  If you can get a picture of the coat and can tell us who is the manufacturer and approximately how old it is, I might be able to ask some people I know how much they think the fur is worth.  A couple of them are professional furriers.  They know 100 times more about furs than I do.  bear_happy

Board footer