Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

Hello!!!  Just want to pick all of your brains... as I am a self taught bear artist, sometimes I doubt myself as to whether I am doing things the 'proper way'!

I have just read through the nose tips and there is nothing on there to answer my particular query?

Last night I was creating the little face on my latest bear and I decided I wanted to move the nose lower down on the face, but of course the gusset seam was too high....  but with some scissor sculpting, shading etc... I felt it would be ok.  So I moved my nose down, sewed on a cute button nose, mouth, scissor sculpted, added eyes and she has come out really well.

What I want to know is, have I broken a major rule that noses must be sewn over this gusset seam to hide where the seams meet?

Thanks for you help!

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_tongue  Well, I am self taught too but my opinion is that the nose goes where ever you like it.  After all, you are the artist!

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I second that.  It is your bear and you can do anything that you want to do.  I have been known to move a nose down a little too.  Have fun with your bears, that is what this is all about.  We are all having fun or we would not be making bears.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I've never thought there were any hard and fast rules on nose positioning!  I just do it over the seam, because, well I always have, never ocurred ot me to try anything different  bear_laugh

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

gussets are meant to be broken.

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Pat

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

:crackup:  :crackup: LOL Pat!!!! :crackup:  :crackup:
My noses end up where I think they look best regardless of seams etc? I don't think there are any rules really as long as the bear has the right expression..... bear_grin
Hugs,
Julia x

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I agree with all the above.  Be creative and have fun!
And I'd love to see your teddy..  :dance:

thanks guys you have been a great help!!!  I will post a little picture of her very soon - so you can all see what I have been going on about!!!  xxx

Elanor-Commission-9.jpgElanor-Commission-4.jpgElanor-Commission-3.jpgElanor-Commission-1.jpgHi guys!!!
As promised here are the photographs of the teddy we have been discussing!
She was named by her new Mummy last night - she is called 'Willow'.......

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Perfect nose!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

She is really beautiful, and her nose, perfect!

Joanne

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Beautiful bear!   bear_wub I agree with the rest, put the nose where you like, you are the artist.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub What a beauty, I love the fur so long and fluffy.  Great bear!
Hugs Pat

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Beautiful bear.  Love the fur, the nose the eyes.......well everything. bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

She's adorable! Her nose is perfect. I can't tell from the pics that it's not over the gusset seam! I especially love her eyes! Just perfect! bear_wub

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

She's adorable!  Her nose and all the rest of her is perfect!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

More of the above i wouldn't have known where the gusset was so you always go right ahead and do what you want to do.  As an aside where would all those anime bears be if noone had 'broken the rules?

thanks guys!!!!  I was getting my knickers is a bit of a twist over this one - I thought I had broken a major rule....
I love this little girl - she is one of my best ones so far - am hoping to create another one like her soon!

StarHawk2003 VallierBears
Shropshire

I agree with everyone. She is so pretty too!!

I have sewn one bear for an antique conest on here. I did sew the nose on the side head peices just under the guesst point of the nose and thought it was pretty cute!

Your nose positioning is perfect! I don't think it matters it's not over the seam, it looks right, so it is :)

Richy~

dinimm Melbourne

Nicky, I agree with all the above too, and she is just beautiful.  I love the way you've done her eyes.  It's entirely up to you where you place the nose and eyes.  It's all a matter of what placement looks the best for that particular bear.

For a self taught bear maker you are doing well.

Board footer