Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daisy Posts: 1

teddy2.jpgteddy.JPGteddy3.JPGHi there.  I rescued this Teddy from the Goodwill this afternoon and do not see any identification.  I am hoping someone might be able to help.  He is olive green and jointed.  He has glass eyes and his mohair is mostly there.  Teddy measures 14 1/2" in length.  Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.  I am new here so I hope I am posting in the correct category.  Thanks again.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Daisy,

The "General" category would be the place to post. (This area is for artist bears that we've made for sale.)

The bear looks like a Knickerbocker to me, BTW.

Welcome to TT!

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Nice find!

You can spiff your Bear up a little bit if you take a damp (but not wet) cloth and carefully clean his fur.  Then you can take a soft hair brush like the kind you use to brush a baby's hair and gently brush his fur.  He'll thank you for it.

Then you should feed him some cookies and milk.  If you are nice enough to him he might tell you his story.  :)

Anyway, I think Becky is pretty close.
I don't see any Bears like him in my Bear Encyclopedia but that doesn't mean you can't track down his pedigree.

Probably one of the first things you can look at are the Bears's eyes.

Around 1960 or 1970, governments started passing toy safety laws.  Around that time, a lot of Bear makers switched from using glass eyes in their Bears to using plastic "safety" eyes.  That way children wouldn't get hurt playing with their Teddy Bears.

That is one thing you can use to put a general date on when your Bear was made...  whether he has glass or plastic eyes.

Also look at features like the nose and the paws.  If they are hand stitched or machine stitched or even molded will tell you a lot when looking at a Bear.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Fabulous find! And I agree, he looks like a Knickerbocker.

Board footer