Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

clare14 Country Bears
England

I often make bears from fabrics other than mohair - not faux fur (yet!), but upholstery fabrics or velvets etc, they never seem to get as much interest as mohair ones though and yet the same amount of work (often more if it's a challenging fabric!!) goes into the creation.   I like the different textures of other fabrics and like to try them, I'd like to know your thoughts about this, would it put you off as a collector?   bear_ermm

Fallenrose near Cologne

Personally, I think it is very appealing to see a bear made out of a very different Fabric. For example, my very first bear was made out of a pink fabric with little blue flowers on it - just because I wanted to try out if I could make a bear at that time but didn't want to buy other materials for it. I haven't done something like this again yet, because most of my fabrics are of one color without a motive on them, but I will probably try it again soon if I find some cute fabric...^^

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I too make bears from other fabrics other than mohair.  I use upolstry fabric a lot and they still sell at shows, of course the money is less also.  But I like to try different things.  Right now I am making a bear out of a pair of my grandsons fatigue pants from the Marines.  This is at his request, I will try and post when finished.(if i can) LOL.  I also want to make a bear from a pair of jeans.  I want to do a lot of things, but the time is of the essence.  Working full time kinda makes bear making hit or miss.  But I am getting faster at it.
hugs Pat bear_flower

Fallenrose near Cologne

Pat,

the idea of making a bear out of a pair of jeans is interesting... I hadn't thought of this, although I have some old jeans here, I think the natural texture of a jeans would fit a teddy bear very well... Would you mind if I tried it out?

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think most people's conception of a Teddy Bear is "cute and furry."  A Bear that goes too far outside that concept might not be as well received.

However, it all depends on the Bear.  If the Bear's fabric fits his or her personality then most people won't think it matters.
We have several Bears who are made from velor or upholstery-type fabrics.  One Bear is made from soft, velvety, short pile fabric and his body is filled with stuffing like comes in a bean bag chair.  His face is stuffed with traditional polyester fluff, though.)  He is one of the Bears who sits on the sofa and watches TV with us.

3.jpg

That's him sitting on the far left end of the sofa, right in front of the latch hook pillow.

So, when you come down to the bottom line, it's not just about what kind of fabric the Bear is made from but what's more important is whether the Bear's personality fits the kind of fabric he's made from.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've made many bears/friends from different fabrics and they've gotten a bit of attention because they're NOT mohair.  I just like to experiment with different ideas.
Dandy_3.jpg Glorie.jpgBonny_Bunny.jpg  Scrappy.jpg

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I remember all those bears Sue Ann, and they are fabulous.  I think a bear can be made of many colors and fabrics.
thanx for sharing.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

fallenrose, you can make a jean bear, thats ok with me.  It should be a good  type of fabric to make one.  I will get to mine one of these days, after my fatigue bear gots to work on the 4 seasons bear.   bear_grin

Fallenrose near Cologne

Oh..yeah, the 4 seasons bear - I wanted to participate in this challenge, too.. Gosh, I have too much plans! lol

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Hi Clare, I am just using a whole series of non-mohair fabrics, I adore them, slightly different to use but like Us Bear says you have to choose the right fabric for the right bear  bear_thumb 36838_140299485987635_100000227541728_414349_2788182_s.jpg

Sue Ann, love them  bear_wub

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi Clare

It's just a personal thing, but I prefer bears made with mohair, alpaca or silk.  I also like some faux furs, if they are nice and soft.  I guess it is something about the decadent luxury.  Looking at my fairly ample collection of bears, almost all are made from natural plush fabrics.  I certainly admire many artist creations made from non-traditional materials, but at the end of the day I want to cuddle up with a furry ted.  The great thing about artist bears is that there are so many different types and styles, and collectors with such varying tastes. 

Just within my own circle of friends and families, I have found a surprising number are allergic to mohair, alpaca or synthetic plush.  Wouldn't it be sad if they couldn't find a bear made from something different and non-allergenic! 

Hugs

Sue

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I like to mix and match fabrics,  I have one bear that is mohair but it has an inset belly made from pink snake skin and the mohair is a very soft pink. I think mixing them is very interesting as well as you get the best of both worlds for those people who like a cuddly fuzzy bear, I like different textures so just try what you like and see how it goes.

big hugs

Shane

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Clarence-1.jpgI love working with different materials.  I'm making one out of a screen print fabric right now.  And Clarence here was made from an old army blanket.  I find it fun to experiment.
PS They do sell, just not for mohair bear prices.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh wow you guys those bears are fabulous!!  That's done it, I'm going to make some!!  Thank you so much, I always appreciate your help....xxx :hug:

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I made a beautiful bear out of a vintage chanel bedspread. You have to line them with a good quality muslin which makes it easier to handle. Trends come and go. I bet down the road people will want something different and you will have your cloth bears in vogue again.

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

Thanks everyone for showing bears out of other Fabrics. It's something I would never have thought to do, but I'm definitely inspired!
It must be much harder to hide knots etc. though!?

Richard
x

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

biscuit0001.jpg

It can make very inspiring and gorgeous bears.................you have to have neat stitches LOLOL  bear_wacko

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I use mostly faux fur or real recycled fur these days, but I have made bears out of other materials.  I made leather bears, crazy quilt elephants and frogs (using velvets, velveteens), and a few of my first bears were made from a coat that was camel hair.  It had a very, very short pile, but it had such a nice vintage appeal to it.  I wish I had some pictures to show you - of course, I took pictures, but that was before digital.  I'll have to scan them one day!   bear_grin

Board footer