Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Yes, my dear teddy friends, someone compared TT to a cage of wild beasts. I was a little upset when I first read this, but now I think it’s more due to ignorance than malice.  bear_happy

So what happened ?  Quite by chance I discovered a web forum which –at first sight- seems to be the French equivalent of TT : http://nounourscie.forumactif.net/forum.htm

Since I have a few French bears in my hug and there are several very good French artists, I decided to join the site and see what was being said.
In the general section someone posted the following question “Does anybody know the site Teddy Talk?” 

There was a response from Eric Petit, who was active on TT for some time, but who hasn’t posted anything since the end of last year.  This is what Eric wrote.  I will give you the exact French text with my translation, just to make sure that I am not making this up:

"Par contre, ce n'est pas un forum tendre, la sympathie c'est juste du superficiel. Ce forum est une place qui sert "à flasher" son savoir faire à la face des autres. Ne demandez pas de conseils, les réponses qui vous y seront fournies ne dévoileront rien du tout.
Attention, en entrant dedans vous vous jetez dans la cage aux fauves mais pas celle des ours.... Le business rode dans tous les coins.
Par contre les images sont jolies à regarder.
Dommage que les gens ne disent pas ce qu'ils pensent. Perso, j'ai toujours pris position, et les créateurs de ce forum le savent bien."

However, it is not a gentle forum ; the sympathy is only skin deep.  This forum is a place to show off your skills in front of others.
Don’t ask for advice, the answers you will get won’t reveal anything.
Beware, when you enter there you will throw yourself into a cage of wild beasts, not bears …  Business lurks in every corner.
The photos however are nice to look at.
It’s a shame that the people don’t say what they think.  Personally, I have always made my position clear and the administrators of this forum know it well.

"Nombreux d'entres eux ne voudraient pas prendre le risque de présenter leur travail en France puisque la plupart des artistes se disant "haut de gamme" pensent qu'il n'y a pas assez de collectionneur en France."

Many of them don’t want to take the risk of presenting their work in France, because the majority of the artists call themselves « top of the bill « and think that there aren’t enough collectors in France.

"Elles aiment beaucoup plus l'argent qu'elles se font par la vente des ours que les créations qu'elles réalisent. C'est le résumé de la situation."

They much more love the money they make by the sales than the creations themselves.  That’s it in a nutshell.

Luckily at this point in the discussion an intelligent lady intervenes and points out that Eric might be painting too bleak a picture and Eric backs down a bit. 
Nevertheless at first I did feel somewhat hurt about what he wrote, but now that I have thought about it for a few days, I can have a good laugh at it.     bear_tongue
Or maybe you think what Eric writes is true ???  bear_rolleyes

I would love to hear your comments (I like a bit of drama now and then  bear_grin ).

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hmmmm.....You know, it makes me wonder if this man did not get what he wanted from our group. Meaning he may have had a different expectation of what our group does thus making him disappointed in his interactions with us.  None-the-less, people who want to be here will stay and will enjoy each other.  Nobody is hog-tied to the forum. As for “cage of wild beasts† comment, I am chuckling at his melodramatic flare. I wonder if he sees us frothing at the mouth ready to devour everybody and everything. He’s got an imagination for sure. So I wish this man well and hope he found a group he can enjoy.

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

I'm learning French at the minute so.... je l'ai trouvé tres intéressant a lire  bear_tongue  J'ai appris beaucoup!  bear_tongue
Bless him. Well the people here have been more than helpful to me. What a shame.
Although thanks Peter for a French Bear Site! This will definitely make my learning more fun hehe.

Richard
x

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Eric's a charming guy with a real passion for teddy bears.  He has colourful opinions and doesn't mind sharing them ... so I can understand why he didn't choose to air these particular views here, particularly as he hasn't been a regular TT contributor in the past.

I think it's unnecessary to defend TT either here or elsewhere ... after all, this forum's succes speaks for itself and many members have benefitted from the advice and support freely given here since its inception.

As far as French shows go, my belief is that bear artists are entitled to make decisions based on what they believe will work best for their own businesses ... as a show promoter and business owner himself, I'm sure Eric understands that.  If we all allowed our hearts to rule our heads, we'd soon be out of business and unable to afford to continue making bears for collectors.

I also think it can be quite daunting for non-French speaking bear artists to commit to exhibiting in France ... so maybe Eric's opinion of international bear makers is a wee bit harsh in this respect, not forgetting the fact that several TT members do actively support Eric's shows.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What an interesting discovery, Peter!!  I've been a Help Adviser for TT since it's beginning and wasn't aware at all of Eric's displeasure with our forum.  I know at the time he was here, he had a museum in France and was the promoter of a bear show in Arpaillargues (?).  Some of our members knew/know him and had only nice compliments to describe him as a person and show organizer.  Of course, I'm going to disagree 100% with his critique of TT . . . we have genuine, helpful, compassionate, talented people among our membership.  This is not to say there haven't been disagreements and hurt feelings that have caused some to react negatively and/or to take away their memberships.  However, I believe any forum is going to have a few clashing personalities and admin will deal with those situations.  I think Eric has totally misjudged Teddy Talk's objective and mission, but he certainly is entitled to his opinion and his right to post that opinion for public perusal.  JMO

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

It's quite possible that Eric is referring to a time when there were some incredibly heated threads.  As with any group of people, there are always a few bad apples who enjoy stirring things up.  It has not happened in quite a long time (knock on wood!)

As for the comment that we're only in it for the money...  You can't really say a blanket statement about all the people in a group like that.

Yes, this is my FULL TIME JOB.  But I do it because I LOVE it!  If I don't work on bears for several days in a row, I get depressed - seriously!!! 

But yes, it is important that I sell my work.  Because of this, I have to limit my time on the forums.  I'm sorry to say that occasionally I miss responding to an email.  That is usually from my Free Teddy Bear Patterns site and because I need time to type out a lengthy email.  Sometimes that email gets pushed to the bottom of the list and I forget :(

When TT first started, so many of us were online ALL the time!  We've shared many many tips and techniques.  Quy has been fantastic and set up a "library" so store all of these type of posts. 

Sometimes when someone new comes and asks a question, it may be something that has been asked and answered many many times.  Yes, the new person may not know that fact, but that is why there is a library - and that is why they are often referred to that place.  It's a wealth of information!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

bear_grin  I see that Sue Ann, Paula and I replied at the same time

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh damn, I thought my wild side only came out at the weekends, I've been rumbled  bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:, Katy.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Paula, as always, you make many valid, level-headed points! bear_thumb

I definitely agree with some of the things he said but some of the things are typical of just about any forum out there!

I like a person who can honestly speak his mind and cut through the fluff so good for him! He is entitled to his opinion, after all.

I honestly don't recall much about Eric or when he was at all active on here but we've had plenty of drama in the past and if he was around for any of it that would certainly be cause for his comments.

It's been fairly quiet and peaceful on here lately (knocking on wood with Laura) so I'll just enjoy that! bear_original

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

DRAMA, did someone Say DRAMA  bear_grin  bear_grin . We sometimes get a little high spirited and a good hearty discussion but it's usually having to do with the passion of the art form.  Each to their own, I think we have one of the best groups on the web, I find majority of the people to be friendly and helpful and they do care about one another no matter what was or has been said in discussions. Isn't a forum about open communication and being able to ask whatever question you want, whether it's about operating your business, finding out how sales are going, or learning how to make wings or how to embroider a nose. I don't ever recall someone not getting an answer to their question.

Big hugs

Shane

teeeej Brisbane

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have always found this site to be informative and friendly (though it has been a tad quiet lately). I do remember a couple of heated arguments on here... but thank god there hasn't been any for a while.

I say we unlock the cage and let everyone out for some fresh air..... Bit crowded in there. :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

puca bears puca bears

Still not quite sure how I feel about this.........yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinions......but I find his opinions a bit OTT, bordering on offensive, and definitely unfounded. Just my two cents worth.........

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

That's too bad that some may not come to Teddy Talk, thinking it is really like that.  I've seen the odd problem, but it's usually quickly resolved.  I'm still a big fan of Teddy Talk as it is well supported by many kind artists and collectors. 

And Peter, thank you for the link to the French site and your welcome there.  I have a few customers from France, so I've joined.  It's nice to get some extra free exposure for my creations and to meet a new set of friends.  I was a little hesitant to join as I only speak a very little school French, but with the help of Google Translate, I am finding my way around the site fairly easily - it just takes me longer to translate everything.  I do have to double check the translation ...  I tried to say that my bear was very "poseable", and it came out "disposable"!   :crackup:

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I don't post here much anymore since I'm only making the very occasional bear these days - concentrating more on dolls - but was surprised at his comments. I agree there is the occasional 'drama' posting but overall the postings are kind. I've learned so much from this site over the years and have always found everyone here generous with sharing their talents!

Marion

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

boys-017.jpgwild-beasts.jpgUs?  Wild beasts? .........................         Not really.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Nina, those 'wild beasts' of yours are beautiful!!

Marion, great to see you back . . . we've missed you!  Show us the dolls you're making now - they're teddy's friends, ya know.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

Wow - thank you for that Peter. I have had a lot of personal dealings with Eric, both as an Artist and as Editor of Teddy Bear Times.

Eric is a very charming man who also has very strong opinions on anything to do with bears. In my experience, he is passionate about bears and only wants what is best (in his opinion) for the bear industry. I have had one or two disagreements with Eric over the years but overall, I like him a lot and consider him a friend.

Although Eric has not been posting for a while, I would be surprised if he does not get to read this. So I am putting down a challenge to Eric: Come over here and put your head in the cage with the 'beasts' then you will find out that we are just a bunch of cute kittens, pups and ducklings after all.

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
Dawn J wrote:

Although Eric has not been posting for a while, I would be surprised if he does not get to read this. So I am putting down a challenge to Eric: Come over here and put your head in the cage with the 'beasts' then you will find out that we are just a bunch of cute kittens, pups and ducklings after all.

Great idea Dawn !  I would love to hear Eric's comments.  bear_whistle   
I think that the French teddy bear lovers are not very familiar with English or American artists and that they have the wrong idea of teddy bear artists generally (at least that's my first impression of the comments on the French forum), but you will be pleased that I have been praising the Hugglets show on their forum and they are trying to organise a group trip to the Winter BearFest ... with me as translator  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup: .  Oh my, what I have gotten myself into this time ???  bear_wacko

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Karon Posts: 751

Oh bum!

I must have missed all these heated exchanges!

Seriously though I LOVE, LOVE TT and it has been an obsolute life-line for me over the last year.

Karon

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Now that's what I call constructive Peter! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I am glad I found this thread.

I happened to exchange a few emails with Eric but could not really make an opinion about him. He looked like someone very nice.

Now as a French artist, I can comment a little bit on Eric's comment.

I definitely do not agree with him when he says this forum is not a nice place to be. I really love this forum. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
I often feel frustrated when I do not get many comments on my bears, but I think it is just because people do not have time to comment!

I guess one can feel lost in such a forum as we are so many members...
People here are very friendly and I just regret I cannot have enough time to "meet" better more people from TT.
I made great friends thanks to TT.

It looks like nowadays TT users give less time to TT because many of us now have a website plus at least one blog plus facebook, which means many of us are in the need of dividing their free time in more small pieces!

We get GREAT ADVICES on TT. Our library is full of useful tips.
Now we must accept that some tips are kept secret by artists. All is a matter of CHOICES. Everybody is free to share or not share. We are so numerous that one eventually get an answer to his/her question.

TT is a nest of friendly people, not a cage of wild beasts! :hug:

Now, lets talk about teddy bears in France : collector teddy bears are not much known in France and it is still very hard to find a market there. I guess it is just a matter of time and of educating people!
French teddy bear artists took a very long time to take the plunge to communicate between each other outside shows through internet. I did not know that forum Eric commented in...

We do not have many teddy bear shows but recently a new one was created. To my knowledge, we have three in Paris every year : Gueules de Miel and 2xParis creation (two different dates), one in Normandy (the only I can afford so far), one in Arpaillargues (the one Eric Petit organizes), which is too far for me, and the new one in La Rochelle (I will try it in a few years).

There are foreign artists attending them, but the number of foreign artists is related to the available space.
For example, the teddy bear show in Normandy is a small one with less than 40 exhibitors. I think this year's was the first with over 20 exhibitors and some had to be outside because the room was too small. A chance the weather was warm and sunny!
Most visitors coming to French teddy bear shows are not collectors and came "because they saw some light" or just for the eye candy...
Now I spotted some "mad" (I mean mad about bears) collectors spending almost a whole day at the show and buying lots of bears, piling up bags... So there are some collectors...

Anyway, to sum up I love TT!!!!!!!!  bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I just joined that French forum.
It looks like the subject about Teddy talk has been removed...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you for sharing the interesting information about France, Sophie! And I think it's nice that Eric removed his post (apparently).

Sophie wrote:

TT is a nest of friendly people

Well said, and I agree completely.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Becky

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Sorry, I just noticed the post is still there on the French forum... I just did not search it well. Probably because my stomach was empty.  bear_tongue

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Board footer