Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

CelticSkye Posts: 5

Hi, 

I have done a good search through previous posts on TT to try and find out how to price bears for sale at a craft fair.

I really have no idea, all I know is roughly how much time I have spent making them and the cost of the materials. 

Can anyone give me a guide to where I should start?

I would be very grateful bear_original

Skye

I will try and upload the photo's of the ones I want to price.

Hmm think the image file may have been too large bear_sad

Fallenrose near Cologne

Maybe you should upload them on photobucket.com or something like this and post a link? I'm sure there are lots of TTer's who would be glad to help

Hugs, Ariane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Skye, have you looked in our library section for information?  If not, it is located directly above your first post, on the left.  Click on it and scroll down to the category 'Pricing'.

Hi,

Yes I did look in the library section, all I could find without going into spread sheets, was how much to charge per inch would that be sitting or standing?

I will try and upload the teds to photobucket for you to see them within the next post.

Skye

MissyWinston.jpg
Missy.jpg
Winston.jpg

Their made from Harris Tweed, a fabric only made here on the Isle of Lewis UK

Us Bears Pennsylvania

So, I'm guessing that the boy Bear's name might be "Harris" and the girl Bear's name might be "Twee?"
Say it really fast...  "Harris and Twee.."

Whenever I price something I created I figure out how much materials cost me and double that.  Then I figure out how long it took me to make the thing.  I add in for my time, usually $10.00 per hour but some times more and some times less, depending on whether I'm giving the "Friends and Family Discount" or not.  I add it all together and make it something nice and round.

If I make a photo for sale the paper costs me about $40 for a pack of 25 sheets.
Film costs about $2.00 a roll.  Chemistry costs about $5.00 including film developing and printing.
A frame can cost anywhere from $25.00 and up.

For materials, I have
Paper = $1.69
Film = $2.00
Chemistry = $5.00
Frame = $25.00

TOTAL = $34.00
Double that and it's up to $68.00

When you consider my time in the field, taking a picture, time in the darkroom processing and printing and time preparing the photo, I probably spend 5 hours on a picture.  So, at $10.00 per hour, that's $50.00

Add it up and we're up to $118.  Let's round up to $125.
If I was to offer the Friends and Family Discount, I suppose I could let a photo go for $100 but I could never go below $75.  If I did, I'd end up losing money on the deal.

I don't do photography for profit very much.  I'm mostly a hobbyist but I do sell a photograph on occasion.  If I was a professional, my price might be even more than $125.00 but, given my status and the fact that I don't have a following I can't expect to get more than that...  Maybe some day...  ;)

So, take a look at your Bears and think about how much it cost you to make them, how much time you put into them and how much your time is worth.  You shouldn't have too much trouble coming up with a number.

Thank you for your kind reply, I did not realise putting a price on something could be so difficult.

Skye

Fallenrose near Cologne

You could also try to take a look at other bears similar to what you have created (refering to the materials, the heigth etc) and what they cost..

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Fallenrose wrote:

You could also try to take a look at other bears similar to what you have created (refering to the materials, the heigth etc) and what they cost..

Agreed!   :thumbsup:

Any artwork will not sell for more than what the market will bear.  You could create the most awesome Bear in the world and you could claim it's worth a million dollars but if nobody will buy it is it really worth a million dollars?

Yes, you have to set a price that the market will bear... for your Bear.  bear_happy  bear_happy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

"Fallen" rose has very good advice. Look on eBay or do a google search and see if you can find bears similar in style/materials as yours.

The pricing you saw us discuss in past threads here using a price per inch guide was mainly for mohair bears as the cost of mohair was factored into that. ($200-300 per yard on average!) You are using much more affordable materials so your price will likely be lower.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Etsy is a great place to see a whole range of hand-crafted bears in every price category. It might be helpful to you: http://www.etsy.com/category/dolls_and_ … tist_bears

Becky

Board footer