Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hello all im new to the site,i need your help,your all talking about dyes KoolAid Rite and otheres none of these i can get in South Africa,can any one give me a supplier,or maybe even purchase and post to me and i will pay all costs,also can synthetics be dyed?thanks so much GU GU

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Hi GuGu, have you tried any of the SA suppliers?  I always found the ladies at Honeydew Bears in Jo'burg, http://www.honeydewbears.co.za/  very helpful when I lived there, but there's also Fred-i-bear (Lynette is a member here) http://www.fred-i-bear.co.za/site/ and Lou Bear http://www.loubear.com/  One of them may be able to give you some guidance on local dye options, even if they don't necessarily sell the dyes themselves

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Kool Aid is just colored drink mix, the kind you add your own sugar to.  You probably have something similar where you live. 

Rit Dye is just regular fabric dye you buy at the food store.  You may have something similar there too.

Joanne

durban

Good Morning Little thistle
Yes i know of Hone Dew and Lynette  we have been speaking also had email from Paula Burch today gosh what a wealth of info Im going to try dylon so wish mee luck ill post you outcome Have a great snowwy xmas GU GU

durban

Hi there even if i dont come right with dying process its so nice to talk teddy talk with overseas ladies Thanks ive hunted my stores theres nothing like kool Aid here,I believe Dylon is simular to Rit so ill give it a bash,if im lucky enough to abbel to attened the shows next year where ever they mean ill take extra suitcase for all the goodies i need to buy for my teddies  Thanks again from sunny Durban

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
gugu'steddies wrote:

theres nothing like kool Aid here,I believe Dylon is simular to Rit

I think that in many places, the artificial colors and flavors in Kool-Aid are not even legal! (In the US, many of us grew up drinking the stuff.) I've also noticed that where I shop, at least, the range of Kool-Aid flavors in the US has really diminished.

And from what I've read, Dylon might be a better choice than Rit because it's more permanent ("fiber reactive"). Rit is an acid dye, which might be fine with bears since we're usually not washing them, but it's not as permanent.

Good luck!

Becky

talesia Posts: 54

Hello Gugu
I did buy in Dischem  coloring R12-95 and girl with whom we make teddies did use it to colour Louber mohair - work very nice, most important she says lot of salt(more than on packet) and she use rinse in washing machine - mohair so soft.
Hope you come right.
Natalia

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

As Becky said, Kool Aid is not readily avaliable cetainly in Europe as there is all kinds of legislation about additives and colourings - I am pretty sure it's not legal- In the uk, most products especially childrens ones, are 'no artificial colours or flavourings' and the only powdered drinks you get here are milkshake.

I am lucky in that a work colleague has parents in the Bahamas who come over here regularly who are happy to act as Kool-Aid carriers for me - the import price over here is ridiculous. I paid £1.35 for one sachet from my local import sweet supplier!!!

Please let us know how the Dylon works out - it is easily avaliable in the uk.

Laniebears Arctophilia
Shropshire UK
Website

Darren sells the full range of Rit dyes here in the UK.
The colours you can dye are endless as the dye powders can all be mixed...
http://www.mohairbearmakingsupplies.co.uk

Hope this helps

Lanie

durban

Hi Taesia Thanks for info ,w3hich dye dd you buy at Dischem.oh gosh i feel such a pest asking all these questions hava great day GU GU

durban

T o Lanie and Jaina
I will let you both know how it works sorry to have to send message to you both Im a stupid old women and not used to working on this sit yet therefor not sure how to answer each person personally as i see most of the ladies oh boy ill keep tryin ill get it right both the dying and the web reply love your teddies i do GU GU

durban

Thankyou all for assistance has anyone dyed synthetic fur? over and out

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

Hi Gugu
I've been taking a look at dying material for my teddies but here in Secunda there is limited choice.  Did you perhaps find out about dying synthetic fabric?  I tried to dye a piece of white Kohair with Ladydye and it looked a lovely brown colour in the dish but once I rinsed it, it turned snow white again bear_sad
Bear Hugs
Coraleen

talesia Posts: 54

Hello again
See on pictures

http://taleobears.blogspot.com/2010/11/ … r-moi.html
It was lady dye hot.

What about Teddy tech in Durban - may be Di will can help?

I read somewhere "no - never" dye sintetics, but air-brush or acrilics/oils to touch up

all the best

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

Hi Coraleen,
Maybe this will help you - http://www.bearycheap.com/ezimerchant/category135_1.htm
It's a dye for Synthetics - particularly the Ko-Hair you were trying to dye last time.  It's an Australian company.

I don't know about dying the fluffy plush synthetics though - I know that when my childhood toys were washed, the fur was never the same again.  It was matted and clumpy and not very nice, so unless that's the look you're after I wouldn't advise it.  I also don't know if you would do a hot or cold dye - having never tried either on synthetics so don't know how it will react to heat.

Airbrushing or using oil pants to shade synthetics is fine though.  I know Shelli (Potbelly Bears) uses oil paints for her shading, with a miniscule amount of paint left on the bristles (she wipes and wipes and wipes onto paper towel before going near the bear).  I'll see if I can find the thread for you...

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=1401
Here it is - perhaps that will help you.  Shelli uses mohair of course but I've tested her method with acrylic paint on synthetic scraps and it was pretty effective.  Oils would be more permanent though, I would *assume*.

Secunda, South Africa

Hi Natalia & Erin,

Thank you very much for your help.  I've got some research to do now and some new methods to try out.

Hugs
Coraleen

durban

Sorrry guys havnt tried dying synthetics yet maybe over the holidays
Have a great xmas everyone and a prospreus new year

Secunda, South Africa

Hi Erin

Thanks for the website address.  I browsed it and have ordered some dye (plus some other things as well).  Can't wait to try it out.
Hugs
Coraleen
  bear_laugh

mickeyflip Sunshine Coast, QLD

You're welcome!  I hope it works well for you  bear_happy

durban

To Erin and Coraleen

Did nothing over the holidays re dying process so nothing to report  i am going to try though oil paints on synthetics  as i really would like to make a teddy ouit of funky colours  hava great 2011 oh ill also try that website  your all so helpfull on this blog Paula

durban

Hi Coraleen which web site did you go into to order your dy  Do you have email add it would be nice to keep in touch  with sa bear maker

Paula

Board footer