Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey guys, after all this talk about selling to retailers etc it's got me thinking.

I work downtown, and went for a walk on my break. I stopped at this really nice gallery, pretty small but some cool art. c015.gif  I was wondering if I shoudl stop by one day with some teddies. At least I know that people who go in there to buy are expecting to pay a bit. But do you think they will even look at me?? Could my bears really sit beside painitngs and pottery??
I don't mind trying, but if they are going to laugh at me, I think I'll keep my bears at home. e050.gif

Thanks for your advice, h140.gif

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Heather,
Oh go girl ! why not trying !! bear_thumb
How about making some  professional looking PHOTO ALBUM and
show it to them ?(.. I read this in Nancy's 101 book ) 

I am no expert for this and had no-experience .  :redface: 
This is story about art-galleries in Japan.. but can I go on ?  bear_whistle

The Art gallery Store was selling expensive art (painting,sculpture,etc)and few month ago I noticed that
they start to display Teddies on windows side. Most of the bear was unusual kind(sorry no pics), one bear was made by clear vinyl and had colorful plastic stones with polyfiber stuffing in inside of bear, you can see the inside of bear from out. this bear was about $350.00(13"tall).
Other one was made by total black leather and had no eyes, he was about
$400.00(10") and they did had mohair
bear wich was about $380.00(15")but
I could tell that the bear was not made by bear artist..because he has all mohair stuck in seems(we usual take out right ?) and had long hair hung in around his face(we usually shave un-necessary hair right ?). ..
I talk to the lady who work at there and
she said (Oil Painting of a Teddy Bear)
selles well and they sold few bear
but not the mohair one. I didn't tell her  I'm bear maker..so  I don't know how to approach to them(if you want to sell) .

If you do, Good luck !  :hug:   bear_flower
Hugs/Marie

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Heather, I think you should ask.. They won't take money just for that, right? And if they say YES it's good for you!  bear_wub

The gallery takes % and the one in Moscow took 80%. So people would have to pay twice  bear_cool
But it's good for getting to know you as an artist
bear_tongue

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

No harm in asking .....you will never know if you don't try ..go for it

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

thanks girls. I'm gonna try. But if they want 80% I'll just keep my bears!!!!!!

Marie, thanks. I've never seen a teddy in a gallery before. I think you should go back there, if they will disply those bears, surely your much cuter bears will sell.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Go for it, Heather, unless their percentage is bigger than yours!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Heather,you are so sweet  bear_wub  thank you !  :hug: 

I hope that  gallery wont take that much percentage.. :pray:
I'm crossing my fingers !  bear_original

Hugs/Marie

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

The original Gallery in Hampshire I used to supply took 30%
one i supply now takes 20%
the other gives me my asking price and then adds her own mark up and that is 60% =17.5% tax =77.5% but they sell and we are both happy.

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA
psichick78 wrote:

thanks girls. I'm gonna try. But if they want 80% I'll just keep my bears!!!!!!

Heather they took 80% not out of my price!! They adds their own marks +80% over my price. I got all my money.. bear_whistle  bear_smile It's just gets more expensive for customer.

Julia

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

the shop I sold to put 100 0/0 mark up the bears so of course I had to bring my price down to sell to them ...... I have only done it the once

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm really amazed at the mark-up. But I guess if I get the price I want for my bears, I should be happy. I guess that's how business works regardless of the product.

Estelle, nice to hear you sell your bears that way. Sounds like you have sold a few bears that way, nice to know.

Thanks for the tips girls

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

yes if you are lucky to find a good shop or gallery it works well. I was stunned to see what people were prepaired to pay for bears I was quite insecure about. I get a check on the tenth of each month when I take my latest creations along to show. I am still sure they will be rejected every time, that doesnt get easier. :redface:  I hope you find a good honest shop  :dance:THE VERY BEST OF LUCK   bear_thumb

Board footer