Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I have been asked if I would donate something for a silent auction benefiting our local SPCA - great cause!

I would like to design a dog and build a wire body frame! 

What gauge of wire should I use?? 

Any hints or tips on either pattern design or building the wire frame would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Well the wire size depends on the size of the dog.  But larger wire is going to harder to work with.  I use http://www.dickblick.com/products/armature-wire/ it's aluminum and very easy to work with.  I normally use the 16g for my smaller dragons & the 9g & 6g for my larger one's.  I have some 4g but it's too hard to work with.  Just remember with wire gauge the larger the number the smaller the gauge bear_original and the other way around.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Are you going to use joints?

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

A while ago I was looking for some ideas of how a pattern for an animal on all fours would look and I found a really helpful design on Nancy's site dogpatchcritters.com it is at the bottom of her links section.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Thanks Nina for the tips on wire size!  I wonder if you could get the wire at the local hardware store??

Joanne,  I hadn't thought about jointing - I'm thinking I probably shouldn't joint but I'm not sure! 

Alison,  Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

you should be able to get electric fence wire at most hardware stores & it's normally aluminum so it's easy to work with, unlike steel which is a pain.  If you're hardware store doesn't have it check at farm/ranch supply stores like Tractor Supply bear_original

Board footer