Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have just gone and placed my vote in the TOBY Award competition.  It was difficult to do this year.  The list was confusing, it seemed out of sync with the pictures.  Then as I placed my vote I could see the results as they stand so far.  What is that?  I do not like that.  I think it will keep me from ever entering.  I would not want to know how I was fairing on a daily basis.  I would obsess.  It just doesn't seem right to me.

Joanne

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I went and voted too... after I saw that the results of voting so far were there for all to see I had a odd sense of relief that I hadn't entered.  I was thinking about entering next year, but this will make me think twice.  I think I'd be a lot like you Joanne and be obsessive about it too.

Bloomsburg, PA

I do not see what purpose this serves.  Just seems like they are defeating the purpose of the big results issue.

Joanne

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I saw that too, does it only show up after a vote?
You can't just pop into the site and see the results can you?
Also found the page setup really awkward.  There were some bears whose pictures showed up in the wrong category...

Bloomsburg, PA

I went back to check that Linda.  I tried to revote in a category.  And even though it said my vote was already counted it showed me the results again.

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

I voted for my favourites and the page set up is very confusing, as you scrolled down the page the bears pictures in the right side got more out of sync with their voting list. I also do not think showing the results on each vote is a good thing..it takes all the excitment out of the final announcement. If artists are put off from entering because of the voting tally it won't be good.. it needs a rethink.
Cheers Susan ♥

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Interesting, I just went to vote but it's so complicated and the set up is a real dogs breakfast that's for sure  bear_grin .
I would have liked it better if they had actually grouped the pictures together for each category rather than just running them down the side.  I got so confused I gave up on trying to vote (sorry nominee's it made my head hurt trying to bounce back and forth. 
But funny enough even though I didn't vote I was able to click the button that said "See Results" and see who was winning in each category.  I don't know why they have done this it's pretty silly to me.

Kind of takes the fun out of it all doesn't it, when you know who the winner is ahead of time.

Waterloo, Ontario

I sent a message off to Aubrey Everett the Editor to see if she could give me an explanation.  Will let you know if and when I hear something back .

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I thought someone was joking when they said I was leading my category ( at least it's nice to know I have been for a brief time, doubt I'll win lol) but then another person said the same thing, so I thought it must be true lol. I  too was baffled for the same reasons as all of you said. To be honest tho, I don't like the whole online voting thing though, I much preferred the mail in, I just think online voting is way too easily manipulated.
    I went to the doll section too ( a doll I sculpted also got a DOTY nom, anyone who sees it please know I did Not design the costume and didn't even fund out out it was entered til I discovered by accident it got a nom lol) and the photos are all over the place there too, it's not very user friendly.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

HOOOOOEEEEEE! Karen, I can see why you don't want to own up to that costuming! He he! I found the dolls even more confuing than the bears, I think! (I didn't vote for any of the dolls)

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Yikes! You guys had me curious so I went to have a look.

They are using an online Polling service. Because it's an online service there is likely not a lot of customizing that can be done to the poll set up. But I can't help but wonder if posting the results was optioinal and someone just didn't think too carefully about allowing the results to show.

The photos, even as thumbnails, could be bigger and grouped by category. I think collectors are apt to vote for a name they recognize rather than a photo/bear they like. It's hard to know who made what and what category the photos belong in with the way it's set up. This can hurt the results.... if photos were bigger and clearly marked with artist name and name of piece I think the voting might be a little more fair.

I like the idea of online voting as I think it will reach more voters than the magazine alone does these days. Thus it can build more excitement and interest in the TOBYs, giving nominees more exposure. I think Madavor is going in the right direction, taking things online. I'm still hoping they put the magazine online some day though I know its costly venture to have it done right.

I agree that it ruins the anticipation of the results issue or even the excitement of being at the TOBY awards banquet by having the polling results show. We'll already know who the winners likely are based on the online voting... unless the mail in ballots change the tally significantly. Are they even doing mail in ballots?

So yeah, while the idea was a good one, in my opinion, I think it all needed to be thought through a little more and perhaps some money invested in a more professional looking page layout and polling format.

Now I guess I've set myself up for people to criticize the teddies worldwide online show page too! LOL! That's ok, I welcome constructive criticism if the results will benefit all involved and make it a better experience. I hope those at TB&F/Madavor will take our feedback with the same spirit.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I agree, did not like the way the pictures were posted, kinda of confusing...........my mom votes every year and she even said, I don't like this.....
I also don't like the results being shown.....

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Linda wrote:

HOOOOOEEEEEE! Karen, I can see why you don't want to own up to that costuming! He he! I found the dolls even more confuing than the bears, I think! (I didn't vote for any of the dolls)

When I first saw her I didn't even recognize her face lolol....

I also discovered the DOTY voting does not show the results so far... So I wonder is it a glitch or what that the TOBY votes are showing?  I'd much rather not see them, I hope they take that away:(

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Karen,
PollDaddy blocks repeat votes so no one should be able to manipulate the votes. That's if whoever set up the TOBY voting enabled the block as it is optional. I tried voting for the same bear more than once (I did it in the manufactured section... not on an artist bear) just to test this and the number of votes didn't increase in the results after my first vote so I'm thinking the repeat vote is indeed blocked. I could be wrong.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Daphne wrote:

Karen,
PollDaddy blocks repeat votes so no one should be able to manipulate the votes. That's if whoever set up the TOBY voting enabled the block as it is optional. I tried voting for the same bear more than once (I did it in the manufactured section... not on an artist bear) just to test this and the number of votes didn't increase in the results after my first vote so I'm thinking the repeat vote is indeed blocked. I could be wrong.

Ah cool, that's good to know bear_original  as you'd know I'm not the most savvy with this stuff lol.

Bloomsburg, PA
Daphne wrote:

Karen,

I tried to vote twice too to see if I could, I could not.  It told me my vote had already been cast.  But it did show me the results again.

Bloomsburg, PA
thebearguys wrote:

I sent a message off to Aubrey Everett the Editor to see if she could give me an explanation.  Will let you know if and when I hear something back .

Shane I would love to hear what she has to say, please let us know.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Daphne wrote:

Karen,

I've been quite amazed to see this, this afternoon. Individuals cannot vote twice from the same computer, but the problem is, the votes could be manipulated if say someone worked with or had a partner who worked with a lot of people on different computers! Most online voting that I have taken part in at least asks for an email address, there was no question on this one - just go into the site and vote. Presumably therefore, if you share a computer, as many people do, only one person would be allowed to vote.

I don't like the results being shown, it seems very unfair.

Teddy Bear & Friends Posts: 2

Hey guys. I wanted to chime in here to get a couple questions answered!

First, the voting results being shown was 100% unintentional, and we are in the process of changing it as we speak. With the voting being set up on the Doll Reader site, editor Kathryn Peck set up our DOTY page, and since she had a baby two weeks ago (!!), we are all trying to pitch in to get everything handled. I am not trying to use this as an excuse, but rather an explanation as to the lag time.

Second, we are aware that the voting is a little funky and hard to follow. We did not provide online voting at all last year, so we at least think this is a step in a positive direction. Our web designer is currently in the process of revamping both the Doll Reader and Teddy Bear & Friends websites, so hopefully this will be a non-issue next year.

Thank you for your concern and your notes, and I hope you do indeed vote in this prestigious program. The paper ballot is in the summer issue, which should be arriving in subscriber mailboxes within the next few weeks!

And please feel free to reach out to me personally with any additional questions -----> aeverett@madavor.com

Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you TB&F for taking the time to come here and answer our questions and address the concerns.  It has been helpful and much appreciated.

Joanne

Waterloo, Ontario

Thanks for getting us the answer, I was hoping it was unintentional for the voting results to be seen.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Awesome Aubrey, thank you so much for taking the time to visit Teddy Tallk and answer our questions bear_original it's nice to know you care about our concerns.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

My issue just arrived today & my ballot is included - and the Nominees are laid out beautifully.

In fact, the images AND LAYOUT are the best I've seen in several years!!

I may just decide to enter again!!

KUDOS, Aubrey!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hmmmm... Wondering here... I've been out-of-the-loop.
How are online & by-paper-ballots counted, as in - from one individual?
Does one negate the other?
Is there any way to track this?
How are both of them tracked so that each individual doesn't get 2 (or more, if they purchase more print issues) ballots?
Am I over-thinking this?

I guess this has always been around as long as there have been magazines published but I just thought of the 'fraud' aspects of online plus a second ballot with a mail-in vote. (I'm sticking with my paper ballot - I'm too easily confused with what I can hold in my hand, much less with having to flip back & forth between screens! LOL)

Board footer