Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

In creating a new Bookmark I must've touched something I shouldn't've (and never have in a dozen years before this) and now cannot figure out how to un-do what I did!

I no longer have a little window in the top of the browser screen showing the url of the websites I'm on.
It disappeared and none of the items in the fly-outs under File/Edit/View/History/Bookmarks/Window/or even Help give me a clue on how to restore it.

Help, please?
Pix are good!

TIA...

chelsea California

You may have hit an F key by accident. In Google Chrome F11 hides that bar. I'm not sure what it is in other browsers, it may be the same or it may be F12 or something else.

My cat likes to walk on that key a lot and leave me wondering where my address bar went!  bear_rolleyes

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I assume you are using Safari as your browser.  No?

Type:  Command-Shift-Backslash

The backslash key is the one that is just above the [return] key.  That should restore your URL bar.

bear_original

suburban Chicago

Thx Chelsea, my heart quickened-but it was not to be....
None of the F keys brought it back. Or affected anything up there: I have Firefox & Safari but rarely use anything but Safari.

I have OS X, 10.5.8 but am just used to Safari and continue to use it because I literally have thousands of sites saved in dozens and dozens of Bookmarks there; not an easy thing to switch.

What did change when I goofed was that the current url began to appear in an inverted Tab, like they do in Firefox.

suburban Chicago

We were typing at the same time Randy. If nothing else, you've taught me to be observant!

No, the command you gave just made the empty line/space disappear completely (where the url window used to be.)

BUT - what was happening every time I activated your 3 keys was that the VIEW word at the top lit up.
So I figured it was in there somewhere.
By process of elimination, I settled on - Customize Toolbar - and there it was (though I still don't know what I hit, at least I'll know how to fix it again!)

Drag 'n' drop & I'm back in business. Thank you, Sir!!!:

URL.jpg

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Glad you got it working!  :)

I assumed that you use Safari.  I don't have access to your User-Agent information so I can't tell from here.
On another website where I have admin rights, I can see that information and I often use that information to help people.
However, in this case, I just guessed.

Anyhow, it is common for people to accidentally hit a hot-key and change the way their browser behaves.  It happens to me, too.  It even takes me a couple of minutes to figure out what key I accidentally hit and undo it.

Cmd-Shift-Backslash is a common key for people to accidentally hit.  That's why I guessed it first.  If that wasn't right I was going to have you look under the VIEW menu to see what settings were changed.

In this case, you were smart enough to guess where the problem lies and fix it yourself.
I'm happy to hear that.  There are a lot of people who aren't smart enough to make that guess and there are a lot more people who aren't even willing to try.

I'm always happy to try to help people who put forth the effort but I tire quickly of those people who don't try.

chelsea California

Woops, sorry that didn't help but glad you got it working again! bear_original I've never used safari so I don't know any of those shortcuts.

suburban Chicago

Thx to both of you for jumping in so quickly! I thought I'd have to live w/o quick access to my bookmarks (or a way to store new ones) and that thought still makes me shudder in horror!
Chelsea, I'm very well aware of what some F keys do - as I've often hit them by mistake (as it's right above the often-used hyphen & em dash key) in my rapid one-fingered typing: F12 raises the audio volume to its maximum!
F10 & 11 are Low and Medium volume settings.
While I don't listen to anything when I work on the computer, I have had it 'set' by that mistake and when opening a link or a YouTube someone sends, I've been blasted like a dynamite percussion when I put in the ear buds. So bad!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Bobbie,
     I thought you might have accidently solved my Mac problem.  Twice my tool bar has disappeared completely on Safari.  The first time, our techie son-in-law fixed it.  The second time he tried for two days and couldn't, so I downloaded Firefox and have used that ever since, and it's been months now.  The process you used does not work on my computer or anything else we tried.  Mine disappeared when I shut my computer down - I did not hit anything by mistake - it was gone when I restarted it and from the searching I've done for answers, I'm not the only one it's happened to.  I think the only way I will get it back is to re-load Safari.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

What version of Mac OS are you using and which Mac are you using?

APPLE > About This Mac

You should probably be using 10.5 or 10.6 unless the computer is old enough that running the new OS would be difficult.  (e.g. My old iMac from 1999 is too old to run anything newer than 10.3.)

suburban Chicago

Brenda, why wouldn't View > Customize Toolbar > work?
(Just above that in my version says 'Hide Toolbar'; does your fly-out menu under View have Show/Hide Toolbar anywhere in there???)
When I selected any of the 'Customize' icons, I was able to drag any of them onto the top grayed area - do you mean that your entire gray bar area is missing and all you have are the Red, Yellow and Green dots in the left corner, plus the name of this site you're on?

Bobbie,  I have the red, yellow and green dots and the two arrows underneath and that is it.  Dragging the toolbar does not work, period.

My Mac is three years old this Xmas - I don't know which Max OS it is.  To be honest, I absolutely hate it.  I have an old Dell that I do ALL of my work on.  The ONLY thing I use the Mac for is browsing the internet because it's faster than my Dell.  Other than that, I really have no use for it.  I don't think the way a Mac does and am not compatible with the system.  My husband bought it for me as a surprise without asking me 3 years ago and the only surprise I got is that I hate it.  The toolbar issue has been ongoing now for about 6 months and no one, including Mac support has been able to tell us what's wrong with it and this is the second time it's happened.  I just consider the whole system a piece of junk.

suburban Chicago

AS Randy said, click on the Apple icon in to top left corner>then > About This Mac.
A box opens up in the middle of the monitor telling you which version of the O(perating) S(ystem) is running.
He may be able to give you more info based on that.

Has this tech support in the past been over the phone? I know that we've not had as much luck with the support there, but any time I have had an issue, (and it's ALWAYS me and my computer...) actually taking the tower into the store—and sometimes having to leave it overnight or for a day while they restore data or programs-software—has been 100% successful for almost 10 years and it's never cost us a penny in the tech services they provide.
That's one thing I could never have said about our PCs, and they suffered from the Blue Screens of Death constantly.
We're fortunate to live 2 miles from a very popular store, and we just slide the tower into a suitcase and roll it into the store in the mall...
Toddling off to bed now.

Bobbie,
     I just checked and it says Mac OSX 10.5.8   My Mac has everything in the monitor and it's about a 26 inch screen.  We do not have a Mac store close by - I'd have to take into Toronto to find an Apple store and quite honestly, I don't think I want to be bothered.  I just use Firefox.  I can still use Safari by typing what I want into the Google space or by clicking on a website in my history, if I have to use it occasionally.  I think it's a glitch in my system - when I searched online I found a lot of people have had the same problem.  At some point, I may have my son-in-law reload Safari for me, but both times I lost my toolbar, it was when I shut the computer down because we were going away for a few days and when I restarted it, it was gone,  I don't like being forced to leave my computer on. 

I tried to like this computer - I really did,  I even bought books to help me adjust, but honestly, I just don't like it.  I think some of us are not geared to the way Mac's do things.  I loathe their picture storage.  I send all my pictures to my Dell.  My poor little old Dell is ten time the computer that the Mac is and I will get another Dell when this one dies.  I can do almost anything I want on my Dell and I understand how it works.  I don't understand anything about the Mac.  I've also had a ton of compatibility issues with the Mac.  I couldn't fill out our passport applications on the Mac - I had to do it on my Dell.  When I built my second blog for Daphne's bear shows, I couldn't do some of the things on my Mac, I had to go back and do it on my Dell.  We tried to order hockey tickets for an Xmas gift on it - nada!  We had to do it on my Dell and those are only a few of the recent ones that come to mind - there have been a lot more.  If I didn't have my Dell for back up, I'm sure I would have put a baseball bat through the Mac by now.  I'm not saying it's not great for most people - I am saying it's not right for me.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You have an Intel-based iMac.  It's a very nice computer.
Hardware-wise, it is superior to your Dell.

I'm willing to bet that, if you look under the VIEW menu you'll find your answer there.  There are a few options under that menu that can cause what you say.  Further, they can be accessed with command keys.  Accidentally hitting one of those command keys can cause the symptoms you describe.

If you can't find the problem setting, log out of the computer completely, all the way to the main password screen then log back in as another user.  The problem ought to go away.  That will confirm that it is a preference or setting is the problem.

Now, go back and log in as yourself.
Make sure that Safari is shut down.  (It should be if you just logged in.)
Open a Finder window and navigate to Home > Library > Preferences folder.
Trash the file com.apple.Safari.plist

Restart Safari.  Problem should go away.

Board footer