Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I can understand the attraction to this forum - great information, tips and talk, lovely teddy photos. But recently, as I look at the number of guests online vs. registered users, it's sort of mind-boggling. (At the moment, there are 4 registered users and 51 guests!!!)

So... How about some of you guests introduce yourselves? I'd love to know who is using the forum these days. bear_original

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I don't know how the software that runs this forum works, exactly, nor do I have administrative control so I can't be certain but I can tell you how other forms that I have worked for have operated.

Usually, the software counts all hits from the same IP address received in five minute as one visitor.  So, if a person hits the site several times in an hour but five minutes apart, he might be counted as a discrete visitor even though he is the same person.  Thus, the visitor count is artificially inflated.

Second, I don't know if this software differentiates between "regular" visitors and "bots" or computers that scan the internet for information.  Search engines like Google and Yahoo use bots to gather information about other websites so you can search for the things you want to know and be directed to the right website.

Some bots can hit a website several times per hour.  If the forum software does not account for visits by bots, again, the hit count is artificially inflated.

Third, a lot of people who might be registered users visit the site without logging in.
They ARE members but they aren't counted as members because they haven't logged in.

So...  Bottom line:  Use the hit counter at the bottom of the front page as a rough gauge of how much traffic is visiting the site but don't expect it to be accurate all the time.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you for the explanation of the variables, Randy. I don't really need to have an accurate count of who's online, but if you're out there - and you know who you are - the invitation to introduce yourself stands. (It's just more fun with more people taking part.)

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Point is, half those unregistered visitors could be bots or un-logged members.
A 5-to-1 ratio of visitors to members isn't so bad.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Becky, I see your point.
I have browsed through this site for at least a month before realizing that it would have been even nicer if I were registered user, so that I could take part in the real action! bear_grin
Now I'm having great fun, and really feel connected to the Teddy world!  bear_thumb

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi Becky
Can you please give me the web add for this foram id love to have a look and mabe register
thankyou paula

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Paula wrote:

Can you please give me the web add for this foram

This is the forum I mean (Teddy Talk), so you're already registered. :hug:

Becky

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

I come onto this forum just about every day.  Its so nice to see what other teddybear maniacs are talking about and to connect with others in the teddybear world.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's always nice to see you, Coraleen! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Your fellow teddy-bear maniac bear_grin
Becky

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've noticed the guest count increasing in recent months too, Becky! Good for you for calling folks out of hiding to come join us!  :clap: I know there are plenty of lurkers out there!

For me, I don't always log in because I'm more apt to start posting and stay here waaaaaaay too long if I do! I know other long-time TTers who usually stay logged out now too so we're adding to the guest total even though we're not really guests! Sorry!  bear_tongue

Kayleigh Bungalow Bears

Im a member but I stil lurk  bear_ermm I am hoping to change that though hehe

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Daphne wrote:

I don't always log in because I'm more apt to start posting and stay here waaaaaaay too long if I do!

bear_laugh I know what you mean, Daphne bear_laugh

Kayleigh wrote:

Im a member but I stil lurk  bear_ermm I am hoping to change that though hehe

Looking forward to getting to know you, Kayleigh!

Becky

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Well I know I haven't been here in a while and I appologize for that.  There's just been a lot of weird things happening in my life, and also for the past few weeks I haven't had access to the internet.  BTW, call me, Becky.  Bearlove.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Jessie wrote:

I know I haven't been here in a while

Welcome back! We've definitely missed you. Nice to see your handsome avatar bear, too. bear_grin

My life has been a bit crazy, too, but we'll talk soon. :hug:

Becky

Karon Posts: 751

I was a "lurker" for some months before I registered!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Karon wrote:

I was a "lurker" for some months before I registered!

I was too, Karon. I think I doubted that I had anything to contribute.

In reality, though, there are many kinds of threads here to take part in - hopefully something for everyone who likes teddy bears.

Becky

Board footer