Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

pittapatta Cape Town

I simply love the bears I have seen with the shading of the fur around the eyes and nose.  It makes them look so soulful, which as a lover of Labradors is a look that melts my heart.
I would love to know what it is that is used to create this effect if anyone out there would care to share that with me?

Tatty Bears South Australia

Look in the Library under shading there is lots of help there.  bear_thumb

pittapatta Cape Town

Thanks so much Sheree,  Once I got to actually looking around the site  bear_wacko I did pick up on that!  What I need to do now is find out what the equivalent of the trade brands that are mentioned, such as Prisma, out here in Africa.   I have already seen lots of topics to investigate, like leather noses, oh, and hosts of other things!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do use pens such as Prismacolor when shading.  But what I use the most is acrylic paint.  I water it down and dry brush it on.  Work slowly and build up the color you want.  I use a stiff brush when applying.  I cut the tops of some of the brushes off to help give me just the right brush to work with.  I would experiment with an old piece of mohair or fur that you are using.  Acrylic paint needs to be set with heat.  So I use a hot blow dryer on it when it is dry.  I keep the dryer moving so as not to scorch the fur.

If you use markers,  go to the art supply store if you can. The reason I say to go to the store is that I have found that many marker colors are too red or orange when applied.  You do not see that until you actually use it.  I try to look now for the cooler colors.  But maybe not all brands are the same.

Whatever you use do some research and find out what brands hold up well over time.  Some brands of paint and marker are not as light fast as others. 

Hope this helps,
Joanne

pittapatta Cape Town

It does indeed, Joanne, and I have in the meantime read a very interesting post about marker colours and fastness to light.  I have contacted Prisma to find out if I will be able to get their markers here, but will also try the acrylic paint, and I believe gouache works as well. 
I am going to be spending a lot of time going through all the various posts, probably back for a number of years, so that should keep me busy for a while!! bear_happy

HeidiBears florida

Yep I use Prisma markers to shade my bears too  bear_thumb , although I find that they aren't really good for shading huge areas because then the fur feels kind of sticky. I've never tried acrylic paints on my bears... wouldn't that make the fur hard?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do not ever shade large areas with acrylic paint, although many artists do with an airbrush.  I use the Folk Art pure pigment paints, they are very concentrated color.  I dilute them down with water and use a dry brush.  I have even used them to add lighter color to dark fur, (inner ears for example,)  I brush the paint after it is dry.  I have not had it go hard on me.  I think it is because I dilute the paint. 

Joanne

HeidiBears florida

Very cool, thank you for sharing that tip with us Joanne!  :hug:

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I'd say your bear supply places in South Africa will stock pencils/markers etc for shading with. Of course in time you'll probably want to experiment with other things, but for a starter, I'd say they will be able to supply what you need.

Tatty Bears South Australia

Don't forget to try art supplies store for the Prismacolors too.

atalia ATALIA BEAR STUDIO
Bloemfontein
Website

Hi,
You can try oils, Copic pen- Honeydewbears will have last one and airbrushing tools, visit their site, I sure someone have shop in CapeTown.

pittapatta wrote:

I simply love the bears I have seen with the shading of the fur around the eyes and nose.  It makes them look so soulful, which as a lover of Labradors is a look that melts my heart.
I would love to know what it is that is used to create this effect if anyone out there would care to share that with me?

kaysbearsandfriends Posts: 9

Prisma pencils are good for lighter shading on smaller bears. I'm not sure of the fading of them though.
Hugs kay

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi there
Use Copic Markers you can buy at CNA or PNA any good Art or stationary shop  should have stock
I also use Faber Castele water Pencils there also great
Ill PM you the correct name of the Pencils tomorrow
Godd Luck
Paula

Emmari Raufoss

I'm new to this forum and very new to teddy bear making as well. I love this forum after lurking for a while... bear_whistle

Living in Norway I don't have any shop offering Copic but luckily I found it at Etsy and purchased this bear_thumb
1340182371_skin_colors.jpg

I also asked if she will carry the blender after seeing this tutorial bear_grin

1340182451_tip.png

I cannot wait to test this out! bear_wub

Hugs from Eva Mari  bear_flower

Board footer