Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

PaeoniaDrop Posts: 48
Website

So lately I have been wanting to get particular colors and want to mix acid dyes and RIT dyes. I got mixed results where it did take to the mohair to give me a teal, but did not take to the backing. Is that because I placed both dyes in? I tried to add a little more vinegar to exhaust the dye bath, but still it did not take after half an hour. Should I have waited longer?

On the RIT dye instructions, it did recommend that I add salt to dye cotton, but I didn't know if it would affect the finish of the mohair. Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should do?

Thanks

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

I have some experience with this. Keep in mind, I have mostly dyed only mohair, but think the same thing would occur with other fabrics. I find that if I use the least amount of water and heavily concentrated dye the fabric dyes quickly and makes the backing almost the same color. If I add more water the backing takes a little longer to grab the dye making the fur brighter than the backing. In cases where I'm trying to create a full true black, I add a lot of dye in as little water and dye for about 10 mins. I have pulled it out too soon before and it gave me a very dark blue color, which was not what I was looking for.  I never measure my salt or vinegar. I just guess and pour.

Hope this helps!
Robert bear_original

PaeoniaDrop Posts: 48
Website
Bear Hearts wrote:

I have some experience with this. Keep in mind, I have mostly dyed only mohair, but think the same thing would occur with other fabrics. I find that if I use the least amount of water and heavily concentrated dye the fabric dyes quickly and makes the backing almost the same color. If I add more water the backing takes a little longer to grab the dye making the fur brighter than the backing. In cases where I'm trying to create a full true black, I add a lot of dye in as little water and dye for about 10 mins. I have pulled it out too soon before and it gave me a very dark blue color, which was not what I was looking for.  I never measure my salt or vinegar. I just guess and pour.

Hope this helps!
Robert :)

Thank you. That is helpful. I was wondering if the salt cakes on the mohair though or harms it in anyway.

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

I have not noticed that the salt does anything to the fabric. I think if anything leaving it in very hot water for a long period of time would be worse as the backing may easily fray when you sew.  Since my water is close to boiling the salt dissolves instantly and then is rinsed off with the dye. I'm sure there are some dyeing experts out there that could weigh in. :)

Hug!
Robert

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

This is the most experienced person I've ever found online about dyeing - Paula Burch.
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/directdye.shtml
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/allpurposedye.shtml
Read through all of the links through the fly-outs in the toolbar across the top of her pages; a wealth of information!
The second link addresses Rit dye - it's because it's considered a 'union' dye - all-purpose. The fabric you're dyeing is 2 types, mohair w/ a cotton or cotton-blend backing. Both types just cannot be accommodated with a dye like Rit, no matter what additives you use.
But you will get a lot of useful info from Paula's site! I think It's also been in our Library from posting in the past.

Board footer