Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Little Nan Posts: 233

I wonder if anyone has any tips on losing the square , hunched up shoulder look, that makes it appear the head is directly on the shoulders ?
I'm wondering is it to do with the dart at the top of the body or the position of the arms, or a combination of both ? However I have tried lowering the arms to no avail ! Or maybe the shape of the actual body ?
I'm running out of calico practising !! So many things to get right !
Little Nan  bear_ermm

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

It may be that the disk you are using in the shoulder is too small.  If you use the largest disk you can fit in the space, it will not allow for so much stuffing, and the transition will be a smoother one from body to arm.  Also I do not know where you are leaving the space open for stuffing, but if you leave it open in the back of the arm rather than the top, you can push the disk right up to the seam.  That will also make for a less noticeable shoulder.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Joanne makes excellent points here. I could add that the placement of the arms make a difference too. Placing them to high up leaves no neck and hunched effect. Putting the arms lower on the body will make it look better.  when you make your practice bear, put the disc in the neck you will using in first. next place the arms. I say that because the larger the neck disc the more space in the shoulders/neck will be used, throwing off the arm placement in the original design.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You might also try designing your body shape a bit differently. A pronounced 'pear' shaped body will give you a narrower area where you can attach your arms. You can obtain that shape through design, or with darts in the neck-shoulders area. Also you might add some more neck in your head design.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I agree...it's often the 'muscle man ' arms that create that look and it's usually because of the size of the disc in the arm. If you really want the head to sit proud then it's easy to add a small neck which just requires drawing onto the body ...I then add a disc of mohair so the surface of the neck is nice and flat for the head to sit on.

This site really is the best!! Thank you all so much it's so kind of you!
I will certainly be giving all your advice a go and I'll let you know how I get on! Also should I ever figure how to get a picture on here I can show you !!
Biggest bear hugs to you all!
bear_wub Nan

Jenny here is where I show my complete inexperience and ignorance too! When you say you insert a disc of mohair, do you mean literally a disc shape piece of mohair or a disc covered in mohair ? Also do you insert it on the inside of the neck of the body?
I'm glad you can't see my face now cos it's bright red with embarrassment and I'm sure given experience I would immediately know what you meant!! Maybe a better brain too!
Embarrassed hugs
Little nan x

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nan, there are no stupid questions, don't feel shy to ask! bear_original
I don't know about Jenny, but what I do is actually design the top of the body, where the head sits, with a round insert that is the base where the head is attached. It needs some precise measuring, but the effect is very even, especially if also the head has a flat base. To have a flat base in the head you also have to close the head opening with a disc (I use felt or ultra-suede) instead of gathering the material around the cotter pin.
It might be difficult to understand without pictures...I hope it makes sense to you.

I'm curious to know if also Jenny meant this, or something else altogether! bear_original

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I like all of these tips and usually they work, however I had one bear that no matter how hard I tried I could not get his head off his shoulders.  I took him apart and studied him quite closely and found out that his head ended at his jawbone line.  I added a small neck and voila...he came out perfect!

Francy,
When you say that you close the head opening with a disc, do you mean that you stitch the disc directly onto the head opening itself ?
Sorry to be a numbskull !!
Nan bear_smile

warwickshire uk
Website

That's exactly what I do. I draw a neck ..only say about 1/2 inch plus seam allowance. Then I cut a circle of mohair and sew that in to the neck . That way the head sits nicely.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nan, I sew the suede disk on the neck opening. Here is a couple of pictures of my 'work in progress'. As I haven't attached the head yet you can see what I mean. It is a dog, but it works with bears also! bear_original  bear_original
1345669327_neck_001.jpg
1345669347_neck_003.jpg

warwickshire uk
Website

That is what I do...but I use the same fabric as the teddy is made from to cut the disc out of. I used to use felt but I like to use a wobble neck joint occasionally and then when the head wobbles from side to side you can see the disc and if the fabric is different from that of the body it looks a bit funny...so I started using the same fabric..I trim the pile a bit though.

Ah ! The penny is dropping !!! Thank you both Jenny and Francy !! Thats what I was eventually working out but its so much better when you can actually see ! Two very talented artists ,so grateful to you both I was getting to the stage where steam was coming out of my ears! So very frustrating when you know what you want to do but just can't get there.
Also very disheartening when it comes to 1am and you're still bent over a pile of fur but getting nowhere !
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ......
Nan x

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nan, I've had so much useful input from this site that when I can be of help it makes me happy. It is only fair! bear_original  I love to share info!
Let us know how it worked out!

I am very new to bearmaking and sewing so I'm still at the stage of wonderment looking at the fantastic artistry of you all, but I have to say that this site has really re inforced my faith in human nature , purely from the responce I've had from the questions to date that I've asked !
The kindness has been so forthcoming , and lets face it a lot of you here run businesses and don't have to share your precious secrets, yet you have.
So I want to say a heartfelt thank you to one and all, I am so grateful !!
The biggest of Bear hugs  :love:

P.S get ready for my next doh question !!! ha ha

Little Nan xx

Board footer