Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

bear_laugh Hi guys,
Im new here and new to little crochet TEDDY'S made from crocheting threads, not new to crocheting though. Ive mainly done small amigurumi and now that summer is approaching and my hands less painful ive discovered tiny little bears!

I do have a problem though! Ive noticed a few australians around here and wondered if they can help me. Im looking high and low for threads and other supplies but am coming up empty. I dont know where else to start looking off line! Even my online searches are all coming back to debi's site, which is a brilliant site btw, but im interested in finding a supplier here that i can go to to see the colours and yarns and other pretty little teddy bits. Does such a place exist?

Any help appreciated and thanks so much,
Crystal

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

Im assuming there arent any suppliers here so i will put in an order from debi and hope for the best... And wait patiently by the mailbox for the next 4 weeks ;)

So, i have another question!

I havent done much needle sculpting... Im assuming the practice is similar for fur bears and crochet bears? Id love some pointers on the how to's of this so i can get some practice in. Is there a tutorial or video anyone knows of that might help me get started. I just dont want to start off in my own way and find out later that there was a better way all along!

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

threadteds Banner Sponsor

Hi Crystal,

I had answered your other post in another topic, maybe you didn`t see it?  I copy and past and add some more bear_original :

Welcome to Teddy Talk.  I look forward seeing your first bear. For the holes..you have to crochet very firm, take a hook a few sizes less as given on the thread. To prevent seeing the holes, you could stuff with a color matching the bear. If there are holes, they will show up less. For threads/yarns in Sydney I can not help.  Though a good yarn shop is a great start. You can use any yarn/thread, as long as you are able to crochet with it. To finish your bear you need the same supplies as for fabric teddies. Or you can thread joint your bears and embroider the eyes.

I am one of the moderators of the Thread Animals yahoo group. If you like, please pop in..we have members from Australia as well, they might be able to give you more info were they buy their supplies.

This is the address:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/threadanimals/

You can also ask questions about "how to" and there mostly is someone who can give an answer.

For the other question, yes, you can use the same techniques with crochet bears as you would use with fabric bears. You have to try on scraps first, if using paints or colors. Each thread takes color different. Jointing depends on the size of your bear, but the small bears are mostly thread jointed..the head I prefer to disk joint. To my feeling it gives a more stable joint for the head. If the bears are bigger then 6 inches, I recommend disk joints, or joints with buttons.

Also for needle sculpting you can use the technique used for bears and dolls, I think you might find free tutorials if you google.. and I think Monica Spicer has one on her website..she is from Australia too.
http://www.monicasattictreasures.com.au/

Hope this helps a little, please ask if you have any question.

Berta

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

Wow... I know nothing it seems... lol

thanks for the reply, i havent checked the other thread yet butill get to that in a minute!

The yahoo group im onto already, i went to check it out the other day but had to sign up and it was too much for one day so i gave up to come back another day, but i will get over there eventually.

The holes are mostly in the decrease sections of the head, which i try to hide, but just wondering if there is a better way to decrease that leaves smaller holes than sc two together?

I understand what you mean about a 'stable joint' for the head DD1 1/2 has already yanked the head off poor little bear... He will be a sad bear by the time im done with him.

Monica's site will be my next stop as i did no real needle sculpting in this bear, so my next one ill try that out on bear_happy I have a few spare heads lying around that i can practice on first.

Thanks so much for all the info Berta, I really appreciate it all!

Crystal

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

You`r very welcome.

For decrease in single crochet without holes you can try if this works better for you:
Insert the hook in next st, yo and pull through (you have 2 loops on the hook), insert the hook in next stitch,yo and pull through both loops on hook.

I asume you now do it like this:
Insert the hook in next st, yo and pull through the stitch (you have 2 loops on the hook), insert the hook in next st, yo and pull through the stitch (you have 3 loops on the hook),yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook.

Please share your finished pieces when finished. Have fun!
Berta

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

Yes, the second one is what i have been doing. I always assumed that the one you say above was 'wrong' and didnt use it. lol! I can see in my head how that will make the stitch smaller and therefore the holes smaller!

I really cant wait to finishmy bear, though he is terrible looking bear_happy I did hurt my self quit bad doing the gardens the other day in our beautiful Sydney weather. I have some issues with my hands (psoratic arthritis) and i have nerve damage in my sholder extending to my finger tips which causes my fingers to go numb but still burn and ache at the same time (odd combination hey). All the garden work has aggravated the nerves and its made it really difficult to crochet the tiny stitches as my hands keep going numb. I try to avoid hurting myself so that i can keep doing what i love, but the garden really needed doing hahahah! One day, when the kids are a bit older and more able to fend for themselves i'll have the operation on my sholder and fix the damage, but for now i have to put up with it as i cant afford to have only one arm for 6-8 weeks!

threadteds ThReAdTeDs®
Website

Hi Crystal,

There is nothing "wrong" as long as it works for you.

Take care of your hands and shoulder!! Take enough rest in between (hmm..if that is possible with 6 kids  bear_grin ) but try to take as much rest as you can. 

Enjoy your beautiful weather!!

Berta

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

Thanks Berta, Hopefully ill get Little Bear armed today and can take some preliminary pix before hes all decorated for everyone to pick apart!

Crystal84 World Of Mine
Sydney

Little Bear is all done and hes up in the showcase for anyone who wants to take a look... Im warning you though, hes not exactly pretty...

Board footer